Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel today showed off a new reference PC design built around the company's upcoming Broadwell Core M processor. The Core M is based on a 14 nm process and will the first Broadwell chip to be made available to manufacturers, who are expected to debut the chip in retail products by the end of this year.

With Intel experiencing difficulties and delays with the development of Broadwell, the current Haswell generation has been stretched out somewhat with only modest "Haswell refresh" bumps taking place in recent months to tide users over until Broadwell. With improved performance and efficiency, Broadwell is seen as a significant opportunity for innovation in personal computers.

intel_broadwell_y_reference_hybrid.jpg
Intel's reference design for hybrid tablet-notebook running on Broadwell
At Computex, Intel president Renee James showcased the first Core M device -- a 12.5-inch tablet-notebook hybrid that is thinner than the iPad Air, has a fanless design, and provides energy-efficient performance for mobile users.
The innovative design is based on the first of Intel's next-generation 14nm Broadwell processors that are purpose-built for 2 in 1s and will be in market later this year. Called the Intel Core M processor, it will deliver the most energy-efficient Intel Core processor in the company's history. The majority of designs based on this new chip are expected to be fanless and deliver both a lightning-fast tablet and a razor-thin laptop.
Apple has been rumored to planning to release a fanless Retina MacBook Air later this year, but it is unclear exactly what technology Apple will use to achieve that design. The Core M processor being shown by Intel today is part of the Broadwell-Y series that runs at just a handful of watts, while the MacBook Air currently includes Haswell-U series chips running in the 15-watt range. Broadwell-U chips are expected, although perhaps not in significant quantities until early 2015.

Article Link: Intel Unveils Fanless PC Reference Design Based on Upcoming Broadwell Chips

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I would be very interested in a Macbook Air with fan-less design, with a slimmer profile and longer battery life!

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I would love a fan less design without comprimising performance,
Hopefully intel can deliver.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Mac mini 2014?

Intel Core M processor, 20nm nVidia Maxwell GPU, PCIe SSD.

This has the potential to be both very powerful in terms of CPU and GPU and yet still be incredibly small and cool.

But since Apple is more about looks than functionality, they won't put a GPU inside the mini and use the built-in "Intel HD" GPU instead. Hopefully they will lower the price by 200$. Imagine a Mac nano for 399$!

edit: I'm looking at my Mac mini 2010 right now, with an external WD 2.5" drive on top of it, and I can imagine a Mac nano being the same size as that external drive.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
It is mind boggling how fast technology changes. It is almost every day something new comes about. It is great, but expensive to try and keep up with it.

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
Now we just need Apple to figure out how to shell the hardware properly in the casing, so we don't get laptops that gets hot enough to boil an egg.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Now we just need Apple to figure out how to shell the hardware properly in the casing, so we don't get laptops that gets hot enough to boil an egg.

That is a problem with all technology sir:rolleyes:

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Thinner than an iPad Air. Damn, tech is progressing at a ridiculous rate.

Would like a peak to see what's been cooking in Ive's labs using these processors - a new MBA would be very, very slick with this inside. (And I still think the current one is great).

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
This might be Intel panicking and responding to the rumors of Apple moving Mac's to ARM. This is still vaporware at this time, no actual product exists... Microsoft Courier anyone?

Intel has to deliver actual Broadwell's and then we can talk about what looks good and what does not.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Intel Core M processor, 20nm nVidia Maxwell GPU, PCIe SSD.

This has the potential to be both very powerful in terms of CPU and GPU and yet still be incredibly small and cool.

But since Apple is more about looks than functionality, they won't put a GPU inside the mini and use the built-in "Intel HD" GPU instead. Hopefully they will lower the price by 200$. Imagine a Mac nano for 399$!

edit: I'm looking at my Mac mini 2010 right now, with an external WD 2.5" drive on top of it, and I can imagine a Mac nano being the same size as that external drive.

That'd be nice, but...

Man, I'll die waiting for the xMac (iMac with no screen).

Why Apple?

WHY?

WHY ARE YOU DENYING US THIS????

And I don't want to hear anything about the whole "focus" BS. Apple has more money than God already. They can throw us (non-appliance fans) a bone here. :p

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
That'd be nice, but...

Why Apple?

WHY?

And I don't want to hear anything about the whole "focus" BS. Apple has more money than God already. They can throw us (non-appliance fans) a bone here. :p
Mac Mini.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
What exactly is a handful of watts, and how does that compare to 15? What an utterly useless comparison.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
That'd be nice, but...

Why Apple?
How about a Mac Pro lite? That is desktop hardware inside a tower similar to the Mac Pro.
WHY?

A question I've been asking for years.
Eventually technology will get to the place where the Mini platform could house a pretty good desktop PC. We aren't far from that now. My fear though is that Apple will take this move to 14NM and try to make an even smaller fan less machine instead of giving us a maximal performance Mac Mini. In other words just about the time the right technology debuts for a decent Mini, Apple will cancel the machine to make a smaller machine.

----------

Mac Mini.

Not today's Mini!!

Given that the coming technology has the potential to really enhance the machine. That is if Apple actually leverages 14nm to seriously up the Mini's performance. Right now we need a substantially better GPU in the machine and more cores. Broadwell has the potential here, especially if Apple sticks with chips in the 35 watt range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.