Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but does anyone remember when OS X came out with Dashboard? I seem to recall this being on the first version or maybe the second version of OS X?

I'm just getting a kick of listening to the Android fanboy legion saying how Apple copied widgets from Android when I remember using Dashboard for years and years before the smartphone wars started.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but does anyone remember when OS X came out with Dashboard? I seem to recall this being on the first version or maybe the second version of OS X?

I'm just getting a kick of listening to the Android fanboy legion saying how Apple copied widgets from Android when I remember using Dashboard for years and years before the smartphone wars started.

10.4, in 2005.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I forgot, I thought it was on 10.3. But still, Android had widgets first and Apple stole it! lol

There was Konfabulator for Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and probably 10.2, but it was a derivative in a way of Desk Accessories anyway, though Apple introduced Dashboard in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I never got Dashboard to work for me. It's like the saying, "out of sight, out of mind". I had package trackers, I had a chia pet, and I had the calendar in there. But at the end of the day, I never touched it.

And that's the problem with Android widgets. I mean, on the newer versions, you can swipe and see them on your lock screen, and then you can swipe to the camera. But then you can also UNLOCK to the camera already with the lock shortcuts. It's all over the place.

And then you can unlock, and see about six pages or whatever more of them, and most of them are really ugly - both in the way they're coded, and visually.

Of course there's some nice widgets, and you can make your own, but I just got fed up with it.

Pretty happy for the iOS ones. iOS 8 jailbreak is going to be so much fun! :D

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I use Dashboard at least once a day. I have various clocks set for friends & relatives around the world, same with the weather widgets. The package tracker was a godsend but Amazon is no longer nice to this widget. Also use the conversion tool. And I have a GIF cartoon of Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman as Sherlock & Watson. :cool:

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Does anybody still use Dashboard? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I used to use it occasionally, many, many years ago. But it was really more of a novelty than something that I actually used for a real purpose. I would load it up with sweet looking widgets, and it sure looked cool...but I never actually "used" it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.