Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple outlined several of iOS 8's major features during yesterday's WWDC keynote, but with the operating system now in the hands of developers, details on several lesser known features have been leaking out.

One new feature sees the iPhone displaying apps on the lock screen based on location. For example, MacRumors readers have seen relevant app icons pop up while at or near brick and mortar locations like Starbucks and the Apple Store. While at a Starbucks, for example, the Starbucks app icon is displayed in the lower left corner of the iPhone's lock screen, which allows the Starbucks app to be easily accessed.

locationalerts.jpg
This feature isn't limited to Apple's own stores or to major retailers, either, as one Twitter user has also seen an app for a train station on the lock screen while at that particular location.

Displaying location-based apps on the lock screen is particularly useful at Starbucks and the Apple Store as both locations allow users to make purchases using their iOS devices. In fact, a common theme between the apps that have demonstrated this functionality is a specific on-site function like the ability to make a purchase or display a ticket.

It is not clear how this feature works, or which apps are compatible at this point, but the iOS 8 release notes mention the location based apps as a facet of Location Services. "When Location Services is turned on, the device's current location is used to recommend relevant apps on the lock screen." Based on the description of the feature, it appears to work through both the App Store and physical location and will eventually be able to be turned off by turning off location services for the App Store.

As we approach the public release of iOS 8, it's likely we'll hear more about this new location-based alert feature. iOS 8 is expected to be available to the public in the fall, following a developer-oriented beta testing period.

(Thanks, Kyle!)

Update 11:55 PM PT: It appears that Apple will also suggest apps that are not installed when visiting certain locations. For example, a Twitter user who did not have the Costco app installed had a Costco app icon pop up when at local Costco, which took him to the App Store where he could download the app. He was not able to access the rest of the App Store after tapping the icon; only the Costco app was available.

Article Link: iOS 8 Offers Quick Access to Apps Based on Location

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple outlined several of iOS 8's major features during yesterday's WWDC keynote, but with the operating system now in the hands of developers, details on several lesser known features have been leaking out.

One new feature sees the iPhone displaying apps on the lock screen based on location. For example, MacRumors readers have seen relevant app icons pop up while at or near brick and mortar locations like Starbucks and the Apple Store. While at a Starbucks, for example, the Starbucks app icon is displayed in the lower left corner of the iPhone's lock screen, which allows a Starbucks Passbook card to be easily accessed.

This feature isn't limited to Apple's own stores or to major retailers, either, as one Twitter user has also seen an app for a train station on the lock screen while at that particular location.

Displaying location-based apps on the lock screen is particularly useful at Starbucks and the Apple Store as both locations allow users to make purchases using their iOS devices. In fact, a common theme between the apps that have demonstrated this functionality is a specific on-site function like the ability to make a purchase or display a ticket.

It is not clear how this feature works, or which apps are compatible at this point, but the iOS 8 release notes mention the location based apps as a facet of Location Services. "When Location Services is turned on, the device's current location is used to recommend relevant apps on the lock screen." Based on the description of the feature, it appears to work through both the App Store and physical location and will eventually be able to be turned off by turning off location services for the App Store.

As we approach the public release of iOS 8, it's likely we'll hear more about this new location-based alert feature. iOS 8 is expected to be available to the public in the fall, following a developer-oriented beta testing period.

(Thanks, Kyle!)

Article Link: iOS 8 Offers Quick Access to Apps Based on Location

Gotta say, one thing Apple should do is get rid of those dots and go back to the small vertical lines. It takes up too much space and also get rid of the network name up there too. You know what network you are on. It takes up too much space as well.
Now i say that so you can see notification icons better and get more of them but i dont know if iOS allows that many as Android does. I just think it is ridiculous to have the network name up there.

brunosh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
If that's based on Apple Maps (wich most probably is) it will not work very good outside of USA..

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Chop't icon

I saw this today and took a screenshot at lunch. I was at Chipotle actually, but it's next to Chop't, so that's the icon that showed up. I would suspect that it's using the same location aware API and Apple has just added a call for the icon on the home screen. Definitely a great feature though!

Attachments

• IMG_0672.PNG
    IMG_0672.PNG
    440.7 KB · Views: 515

jcbkrmr

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
This is a great solution, and much more simple than routing through passbook!

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
This is cool, I guess the bigger iphone 6 would have bigger battery to accomodate this feature ;)

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
That's my screenshot :D also though - it actually brought me straight to the actual Starbucks app, not the passbook interestingly enough

maknik

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Is there a way to turn this off without killing location services for the app? I want my apps to be able to access my location only when I say so, not continually in the background. And the last thing on earth I want is for apps to be able to spontaneously advertise their products on my launch screen. Yeech.

(Again, you don't have to agree with me, if you like advertunities. Just give us the option to disable them without crippling the app or the phone with such crude measures as turning off location services altogether.)

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
so the location data is based off cell triangulation and wifi networks. like if the phone sees you're near some place and you connect to network X you're probably near a certain store.

it also can track where you open apps regularly. it would just be a database with app name + location data. super easy

the question is, does the phone alert you to open an app at a store you've never been to or a store you never opened the app at?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is there a way to turn this off without killing location services for the app? I want my apps to be able to access my location only when I say so, not continually in the background. And the last thing on earth I want is for apps to be able to spontaneously advertise their products on my launch screen. Yeech.

(Again, you don't have to agree with me, if you like advertunities. Just give us the option to disable them without crippling the app or the phone with such crude measures as turning off location services altogether.)

I wasn't aware an app icon was advertising. It's not like it's taking up your whole lock screen.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
This will be awesome for Starbucks! I always hate my phone auto-locking when i am in the drive-through and when I pull my phone out of the cup holder for the girl to scan my barcode. There is a 6 or so step process to get back to that barcode after unlocking.

Ideal yet secure use.
--------------------------
Step 1) Tap StarBucks icon in the lower left corner

Step 2) Be prompted to authenticate with TouchID

result) My Starbucks gift card barcode is displayed

Yes, I drink way too much expensive coffee.

Yes, I am too lazy to get out of my truck and walk inside.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
COOL!

I have to admit, I like location aware services.
Too bad i'm a hermit!

coolstuffok

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
I don't know enough about the technology to say this for sure, but could Apple perhaps be using their Bluetooth Low Energy/iBeacon tech? And if so, I'd assume this to be using significantly less battery power to implement a feature like this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.