Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kguay

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Download available without email

I have not gotten the email yet, but I found a "promo" code (for the App Store) in the downloads section of the apple developer website. I downloaded and installed Yosemite and all is working well.

Hope that helps.

-Kevin

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I really want to sign up but also don't want to deal with bugs. what to do.... :confused:

Put the beta on a separate drive or partition so that you don't overwrite your normal Mavericks installation. That way you can play with Yosemite, deal with bugs and not mess up your normal stuff.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
I have not gotten the email yet, but I found a "promo" code (for the App Store) in the downloads section of the apple developer website. I downloaded and installed Yosemite and all is working well.

Hope that helps.

-Kevin

Where was this promo code found, and could somebody else do the same?

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA

Hope that helps.

-Kevin

Not really; you were pretty vague. I'm on the downloads page, logged in, and don't see any promo codes.

Where was this promo code found, and could somebody else do the same?

Better yet, what was the promo code?

NascentMind

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Bugs galore!

I'm really looking forward to testing out the Beta, but I just hope that they iron out a few kinks inside the Developer Program first before they release the Beta to the public. I'm expecting bugs, but hopefully not the sort of bugs which make work impossible.:eek:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
ok thanks guys I have a time machine back up jus don't really feel like going through all of that how long until yosemite will be slightly less buggy that I can do normal tasks?

Yosemite works fine on my 2010 Macbook Air. Did you restart a few times? It seems to install a few things after you install it initially.

It's not perfect but I find it completely useable as an OS.

----------

Not really; you were pretty vague. I'm on the downloads page, logged in, and don't see any promo codes.

Better yet, what was the promo code?

The promo codes only show up under iOS developer accounts. If you are a registered (and I assume paid developer) you get a promo code in your account for Yosemite.

The code is directly linked to your Mac App Store account so no sharing is possible. Apple fills in the code for you.

----------

Title says it all, gimme dem betas Apple!

The public beta isn't supposed to hit until this summer sometime.

Right now the developer preview is available to registered Mac OSX and iOS devs.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I only have one Mac in my house and am kinda nervous about installing this on my Mac when it is made available for public beta. What do you guys think? Is it worth it for me?

I wouldn't recommend it if you only have the one computer. UNLESS you are savvy with doing Boot Camp. I have a split drive just so I can look at the new stuff. I make sure that my stuff (email etc) is properly laid out so that I can revert easily if the beta is that crappy.

It also doesn't hurt to freeze your backups and switch to a new drive for your 'beta' run. That way if you do have to revert you can easily go back to the state of things just prior to the update.

----------

I'd like 10 million testing it. The more people testing it the better so Apple capture and nail as many bugs and issues as possible before public release.

I'm not sure that Apple has enough Mac users to make that a statistically needed number.

That said, you have 1 million members of the public plus an unknown number of developer agents, Apple corporate staff and even Apple retail staff. I think it was Mountain Lion when we got the leaks that basically all tech support and training staff (the "Geniuses" and "Creatives") were invited into the AppleSeed program. That's easily another 20+ folks per store

----------

To newbies to OS X beta, please keep in mind that first two betas are particularly rough and many apps that you use regularly probably won't work properly, if at all.

So either install it on a secondary Mac or onto another partition.

I can basically promise that no 3rd party and even some Apple apps like Final Cut, will not work. That's why I use a split system. I tinker with the 'native' apps in the beta but then go back to my stable drive for my real work. It's not worth the headache of trying to install the apps and use them without confirmation they are ready for prime time in the new software

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
FYI iPhone devs you'll see a link for Yosemite in your account. I'm running it now.

Thanks for mentioning this. I was going to try signing up for the public beta, but it's downloading now. :cool: I'm an iOS developer, but NOT a Mac developer, so I wouldn't have thought to check.

Now to figure out if it'll install on a virtual machine...

DazzlaUK

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Signed up for the public beta yesterday. Excited to give this a go!

Love the direction Apple is heading in terms of OS X and iOS development.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I don't think we're saying that you shouldn't install it and play with it--just don't install it to your main drive.:cool:
Also don't sign up if you're just mildly curious. There are plenty of people who will really put it through its paces, and it's better that they get the chance to do that.
I liked what I saw in the keynote address, but I'll wait until the fall. I only have one laptop, which I need for work. Having it installed on a different partition or other hard drive means I'd only use it occasionally. I'm not a good candidate for beta testing.

bigfatipod

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
No reason why it couldn't be installed on a second partition on an external USB flash drive, right? (making the assumption all usb drivers are fully functional)

Should have gone with the 256gb MBA :(

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Listen, I love the Mac, and I love how much more popular it is - but 1 million people? Hardly exclusive considering the Mac user base. We're still the elite few folks :p

and with the 899 macbook air - I don't mean money. I mean common sense not to use windows XD

Not really, apple has more than 70 million mac users....

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Put the beta on a separate drive or partition so that you don't overwrite your normal Mavericks installation. That way you can play with Yosemite, deal with bugs and not mess up your normal stuff.

But I don't want to deal with two OS's. I want all my life on one.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Really. I don't understand why it's so damn hard for people to get this.

For real.

I believe a lot of people get it. They just don't like the answer, and will spend numerous hours trying to find any other option to attain a polished beta from the current release, that is worthy enough to replace their current OS. And as most of us know, that isn't possible, at least in the early stages.

skittlz

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
New York, New York
I should have known better but in the excitement of Apple releasing Yosemite I being an IOS developer downloaded the Yosemite not thinking it would be nearly this buggy because pre release iOS software isn't nearly this bad. I ended up installing it on my main mac an can barely use it is there any way i can revert back to a stable version pf mavericks for a few weeks till this becomes a bit more stable.

----------

Another problem I have ran into is I am running this on my mac book pro retina display but it will not allow me to turn up the audio at all and in the system prefs it shows that there is no output device! please help i need to get audio working.

You and Me Both!
I got caught up in the excitement as well. Fortunately my system is functional enough for me not to complain too much, but...There are a LOT, and I mean a LOT of bugs to be worked out between Yosemite and IOS8. First off: Neither Handoff, Video Messaging nor Voice Messaging is in working condition at this time. Markup freezes my entire system. Siri's Shazaam adaptation has issues: couldn't recognize some very recent, very popular songs. Re-downloading previous apps is a no-go, they start to download then just go away. Numbers, Keynote, ItunesU and Pages completely crashed after trying to update them and now just sit on the home screen with the developer thumbnail as it's icon. Restoring my device from eariler backup was a no-go, had to set up my phone as a new device. I'm using an iPhone5s, 64 gb, and a macbook pro midsummer 2012(200 GB of free storage, working with 2-8 GB Sticks). I'm assuming there will be massive updates coming over the summer, because as of right now, they are not even close to being ready to make good on their WWDC promises.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I really want to sign up but also don't want to deal with bugs. what to do.... :confused:

Um, the article explained what to do.

----------

I'm really looking forward to testing out the Beta, but I just hope that they iron out a few kinks inside the Developer Program first before they release the Beta to the public. I'm expecting bugs, but hopefully not the sort of bugs which make work impossible.:eek:

As a beta tester it's your job to discover the bugs and report them. It shouldn't be used for your daily work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.