Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix.png
During yesterday's WWDC keynote, Apple announced several improvements to Safari in OS X Yosemite, including HTML5 video support for Netflix. According to Apple, the improvements bring an extra two hours of video watching under a single battery charge when streaming Netflix video with Yosemite.

Netflix today confirmed that it supports HTML5 video streaming on Safari in OS X Yosemite, explaining that it has worked closely with Apple to implement Premium Video Extensions in Safari. The extensions allow playback of video content in the browser without using plugins like Microsoft's Silverlight.
We're especially excited that Apple implemented the Media Source Extensions (MSE) using their highly optimized video pipeline on OS X. This lets you watch Netflix in buttery smooth 1080p without hogging your CPU or draining your battery. In fact, this allows you to get up to 2 hours longer battery life on a MacBook Air streaming Netflix in 1080p - that's enough time for one more movie!
Netflix's plugin-free video is currently available to all OS X Yosemite users who have installed the beta. OS X Yosemite will be released to the public this fall.

Update 6/10 5:10 PM PT: A thread on the MacRumors forums suggests Netflix's HTML 5 player requires sandy bridge architecture or better, meaning it will work with Macs from 2011 and later.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite Brings HTML5 Video Support for Netflix

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Between items like this or Final Cut Pro X's usage of the GPUs, it's a friendly reminder of how much software optimization really matters, just as much as the CPU year over year percentage performance race.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Now if only Apple can follow this up with a new 12" Air with Intel Broadwell processor, I'll be in computing heaven - iPhone + iPad + MBA.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Cool.

Is this going to be the only way to use html5 with Netflix currently? There is no one else doing it? Everything else using Silverlight?

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Does anyone know if this will work for everything on Netflix? Will I be able to kill Silverlight completely?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Great, I might go back to Netflix. I won't have Silverlight on my Mac, as it slowed down Safari too much when it was installed, even if Silverlight wasn't doing anything.

They say buttery smooth 1080p. Does than mean they won't be having 4K?Several TV's already have Netflix 4K, and they have a lot less computing power. Could H.265 be the problem? I haven't heard anything about H.265 on the Mac.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
any mac?

I thought in the presentation he said Newer Macs would support this feature. Can anyone test on older macs for us?

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
my apple tv has been doing that without silverlight for ages!

now they even copy their own product!!!

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Some may not realize it yet but Yosemite also brings native support for AC-3 5.1 audio.

Even better. Now I can finally get more use out of the Logitech Z906 plugged into my iMac! :D

So does that mean we'll also get 5.1 audio out of Netflix streams?

----------

I thought in the presentation he said Newer Macs would support this feature. Can anyone test on older macs for us?

Craig Federighi did say "modern Macs" in the keynote. The question is, what does Apple consider a modern Mac for a feature like this?

I'm thinking at least 2010 Macs shouldn't have a problem, well except for maybe 2010 MacBook Airs.

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
FINALLY.

That was one of the things from the keynote that most excited me, as a heavy Netflix user, and a heavy Safari user. I hate Silverlight.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Even better. Now I can finally get more use out of the Logitech Z906 plugged into my iMac! :D

So does that mean we'll also get 5.1 audio out of Netflix streams?

----------

Craig Federighi did say "modern Macs" in the keynote. The question is, what does Apple consider a modern Mac for a feature like this?

I'm thinking at least 2010 Macs shouldn't have a problem, well except for maybe 2010 MacBook Airs.

Are you using the optical input on your speakers? I have x 540s which don't have optical so I don't think I can achieve true surround sound but want to be sure.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
ECraig Federighi did say "modern Macs" in the keynote. The question is, what does Apple consider a modern Mac for a feature like this?

Anything bought after the Aug 31st introduction, right after the Back to School promo ends, of the new Macs.

Seriously, Apple seems to support about 4-5 years of tech for it's MacBook Pro and Desktop Macs so a 2010 should be OK; I'd hazard a SWAG that anything that runs Mavericks will run Yosemite about the same or maybe slightly better overall.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Are you using the optical input on your speakers? I have x 540s which don't have optical so I don't think I can achieve true surround sound but want to be sure.

Yeah my iMac and the Z906 are connected through an optical cable so I get true 5.1 surround sound. However, the only times I get 5.1 audio is when I play a DVD through DVD Player or a video/tv show from iTunes. DVDs are in standard def as OS X does not support Blu-ray natively and I don't have much iTunes content considering I all ready have a Netflix subscription. So I'm really hoping that this support true 5.1 surround sound so I can really get the most out of the Z906 when playing movies and shows.

If your 540 supports 5.1 audio but through 3.5mm jacks, you can get an external sound card that may give you true surround sound. I remember seeing a video about it on YouTube.

Anything bought after the Aug 31st introduction, right after the Back to School promo ends, of the new Macs.

Seriously, Apple seems to support about 4-5 years of tech for it's MacBook Pro and Desktop Macs so a 2010 should be OK; I'd hazard a SWAG that anything that runs Mavericks will run Yosemite about the same or maybe slightly better overall.

Here is a list of some of the new features in Mavericks and the modern Macs that support them via Apple's Mavericks page:

AirDrop
Supported by the following Mac models:

MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)*
MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)*
iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010 or newer)

AirPlay Mirroring
Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later. Supported by the following Mac models:

iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
Mac Pro (late 2013)

Power Nap
Supported by the following Mac models:

MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
MacBook Pro with Retina display
iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Mac mini (Late 2012)

I'm always a little weary when every Apple says "modern" Mac because it can mean "within the last two or three years" to Apple. Just look at the AirPlay Mirroring and Power Nap requirements above.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm always a little weary when every Apple says "modern" Mac because it can mean "within the last two or three years" to Apple. Just look at the AirPlay Mirroring and Power Nap requirements above.

Those are features that utilize hardware built into the "i" core series intel processors (i3, i5, i7). There is physically no way to implement them using the same protocols for older devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.