Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:35 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 8 Ditches Yahoo Weather for Content From The Weather Channel

Apple appears to have ceased using data from Yahoo for its Weather app in iOS 8, instead getting weather information directly from The Weather Channel. iPhones running iOS 8 have a slightly revamped weather app that pulls its information from The Weather Channel, whereas previously, weather information was obtained through Yahoo.

Yahoo's weather information, however, was also supplied by The Weather Channel (TWC), so it seems that Apple has opted to cut out Yahoo as a go-between. The switch from Yahoo to TWC is a bit surprising given reports of ongoing talks between Yahoo and Apple over ways to more deeply integrate Yahoo services into iOS apps. While it is unclear if those plans have been scrapped, an April report suggested Yahoo was aiming to revamp its mobile search platform with the hopes of being iOS's default search engine.

While the source of the data Apple uses is ultimately the same, there are differences in the underlying technology supporting the weather data between the two services. Because of that, the data presented to the end user may be slightly different even though Yahoo also obtained its data from TWC.

In addition to using TWC as a source for weather data, the iPhone's weather app is now displaying a nine day weather forecast, up from the previous five day forecast. There's also a new weather summary at the bottom of the app, noting the current weather conditions along with conditions for the rest of the day.

The new Weather app within iOS 8 is currently available to registered developers. The general public will get access to the operating system this fall, after beta testing has been completed.

Article Link: iOS 8 Ditches Yahoo Weather for Content From The Weather Channel
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:37 PM   #2
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

The Yahoo Weather app is beautiful on iOS use it more than the proper default iOS app.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:37 PM   #3
richeyty
macrumors member

Probably to make it more accurate? I don't know, this makes no sense to me.
richeyty is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:38 PM   #4
illegalprelude
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to illegalprelude Send a message via MSN to illegalprelude Send a message via Yahoo to illegalprelude
I think Ryan nails it because even if Yahoo is getting their info from TWC, I never find their info as reliable as the one from TWC app. And I live in LA so it's not as if we're some obscure city.
illegalprelude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:42 PM   #5
16Paws
macrumors newbie

Vicious Cycle

I'm glad they changed... but then again Yahoo's App gets their data from Weather Underground which is owned by The Weather Channel... so I guess it is just a branding shift as the data is probably still coming from the same location.
16Paws is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:43 PM   #6
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

How about radar?

If the default weather app had that, I could ditch the others.

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:43 PM   #7
AnthonyVSilva
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to AnthonyVSilva
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
I think Ryan nails it because even if Yahoo is getting their info from TWC, I never find their info as reliable as the one from TWC app. And I live in LA so it's not as if we're some obscure city.
Agreed. Weather was always a little off and would always be different from what the app provided.
AnthonyVSilva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:44 PM   #8
lodolfo
macrumors newbie

What a shame... now how am I going to know what the weather is NOT going to be like?

If Yahoo! says it will be sunny today, I take it as a guarantee that it will be anything but sunny today. Can The Weather Channel give me that reliability? I think not!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:46 PM   #9
John.B
macrumors 68040

My problem with the built-in Yahoo/Weather app was the incessant attempts to hijack the default search engine.

No, I don't want to change my search engine to Yahoo.

I use the WeatherBug app for radar images, though their "hourly" forecasts aren't terribly dependable -- especially wind speed is almost always understated.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Deelron
macrumors member

Quote:
This, it was always strange that the apps didn't match each other yet the source was the same.
Deelron is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:46 PM   #11
ElZeus
macrumors regular

I'm so glad they cut out Yahoo. They've been running some extreme clickbait titles on their main page as of late.
ElZeus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:47 PM   #12
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

When is all those changes suppose to happend?
Dominicanyor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:47 PM   #13
Roller
macrumors 65816

Regardless of where the weather data comes from, I'm glad that they've made better use of the screen. The current app wastes space showing the city, current conditions, and temperature in the upper half. With this change, there's room for more forecast days.
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:48 PM   #14
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
How about radar?

If the default weather app had that, I could ditch the others.
That's the only reason I use alternatives as well....really silly not to have a radar in the default.

If I need a temp reading, I go to the notification center. If I need anything else, I go to the Yahoo Weather App. Although TWC has done a nice job revamping their app....the ads killed it before.

iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:49 PM   #15
Menopause
macrumors 6502

Believe me, this is an excellent move, given that

Quote:
TWC use "different geocoder, citation algorithms, and location coverage."
And I can bet Apple dumped Yahoo weather because of this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5371748

I and very many people I know are constantly plagued with this problem.
Menopause is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:50 PM   #16
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Maybe that's why Yahoo gave them an ADA, as a consolation prize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
That's the only reason I use alternatives as well....really silly not to have a radar in the default.
I think Apple would have a much different perspective on this if they didn't live in Southern California.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:50 PM   #17
jarred125
macrumors regular

So does this include the usual "Weather Channel Sensational Headlines!" with it as well? The Weather channel actually used to be ... useful.
jarred125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:51 PM   #18
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
And I live in LA so it's not as if we're some obscure city.
LA used to be more obscure; but you guys really cut down on the air pollution.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:51 PM   #19
Icaras
macrumors 601

I had no problem with Yahoo weather info. Odd move.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:52 PM   #20
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Pfft. I'm waiting for the Dark Sky widget.

I think The Weather Channel needed Apple more than they needed them. Their new app is just awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
I had no problem with Yahoo weather info. Odd move.
Yeah, it's in there. Pretty nice.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:53 PM   #21
Jacquesvw
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Paws View Post
I'm glad they changed... but then again Yahoo's App gets their data from Weather Underground which is owned by The Weather Channel... so I guess it is just a branding shift as the data is probably still coming from the same location.
The weather prediction for my location in deep dark Africa is way off, so I ordered personal weather stations a week ago and the plan is to transmit data to Weather Underground to help make weather predictions more accurate. I will be glad if this data eventually help make the weather app more accurate.
Jacquesvw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:56 PM   #22
bumblebritches5
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominicanyor View Post
When is all those changes suppose to happend?
In iOS 8...
bumblebritches5 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:57 PM   #23
genovelle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeyty View Post
Probably to make it more accurate? I don't know, this makes no sense to me.
I found the weather channel app to be more accurate.
genovelle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:58 PM   #24
OneBagTravel
macrumors regular

I wish it had radar. I use it a lot for when I'm planning a day since weather here changes on the fly.

I currently use the Yahoo weather app since it has all of this built into a sleek interface.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:58 PM   #25
suprakc
macrumors member

Thank Goodness. Yahoo weather is always a little off, IMO, in my area.

I tend to use the weather channel app, as it is more accurate, but it will sure be nice to have it as the standalone weather app - which is nice and clean.
suprakc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion