Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:07 PM   #26
AstronomyiPhone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsmith87 View Post
I'm on both iOS 8 and Yosemite - continuity isn't working.

SMSs across everything (iPad and Mac) have worked flawlessly - no fiddling or anything (very Apple-like).

Phone calls, on the other hand, were very temperamental - understandable as these are betas, but I at least could get it to work by simply doing it a number of times. Still, no fiddling, just more tries.

However, "Hand off" for emails, websites, and ANYTHING (I've even installed all the iWork - Pages, Keynote, Numbers - betas on my iOS devices) don't work. Nothing. No light at the end of the tunnel. Is it working for anyone else (and if so, did you do anything to get it to work) or is it just a "beta issue"?

Thanks.
What Mac/iOS device models are you using?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:07 PM   #27
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
I love continuity!!!
CrazyForApple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:07 PM   #28
Parise
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

SMSs across everything (iPad and Mac) have worked flawlessly - no fiddling or anything (very Apple-like).

Phone calls, on the other hand, were very temperamental - understandable as these are betas, but I at least could get it to work by simply doing it a number of times. Still, no fiddling, just more tries.

However, "Hand off" for emails, websites, and ANYTHING (I've even installed all the iWork - Pages, Keynote, Numbers - betas on my iOS devices) don't work. Nothing. No light at the end of the tunnel. Is it working for anyone else (and if so, did you do anything to get it to work) or is it just a "beta issue"?

Thanks.
Same here. SMS works great. Can't get any of the other features to work yet though.
Parise is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:08 PM   #29
oftheheavens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Thanks.
Isn't working for anyone
oftheheavens is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:08 PM   #30
NSeven
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to NSeven Send a message via Skype™ to NSeven
Quote:

Thanks.
I have exactly the same issues, when i try to call the window appears in the top right and disappears almost instantly, handover does not work, SMS works fine though. Also when i tether i do not see my phones signal strength as in the screenshots..

27" iMac late 2011, 3.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 1TB 840EVO SSD HD, 16GB Gold iPhone 5S, 16GB iPad Air, 16GB iPad mini, 8GB iPod Touch
NSeven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:09 PM   #31
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

How crazy is it that we can receive texts now on iMessage? This is amazing.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:17 PM   #32
CrEsTo
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to CrEsTo
This is feature available for Devs? If so, how can we activate this feature?

I'm using iOS 8 on my iPhone + Yosemite but can't see where to activate Continuity.
CrEsTo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:19 PM   #33
ciphershort
macrumors newbie

As to how it works, it probably works the same way the iDevices can find Apple TVs via Bluetooth. The iDevice "discovers" other compatible devices via Bluetooth, and polls the device for its IP address on the network. From there it can create a session with the nearby device directly over IP. It's a genius use of Bluetooth and saves wonders of work arounds for us enterprise network guys.
ciphershort is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:19 PM   #34
penajmz
macrumors 6502a

Is Continuity working for anyone? Calls and Sms are working but nothing else. I have a rMBP 10.10 and iPhone 5s iOS 8.
penajmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:22 PM   #35
nerdAFK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonklee View Post
Yet another feature taken from Android.
Sarcasm?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:25 PM   #36
agsmith87
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronomyiPhone View Post
What Mac/iOS device models are you using?
Just got it to work between iPad Air and iPhone 5... Note, I've only managed an email draft and webpage in Safari... And Safari seems to always show (on the other device) even when I don't have it opened but anyway...

Can't get it to work between the Mac and iOS device though. There's a setting for Handoff in System Preferences, General, but I've had that on the entire time... Anyway, I've got a 2012 Macbook Air, so maybe it's too old... Didn't think less than 2 years would be old, but hey...
agsmith87 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:29 PM   #37
sjwr
macrumors newbie

Email handoff

Assuming email handoff will only work with iCloud email. Guess I'll finally make the switch.
sjwr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:32 PM   #38
sonicstorm
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by penajmz View Post
Is Continuity working for anyone? Calls and Sms are working but nothing else. I have a rMBP 10.10 and iPhone 5s iOS 8.
I didn't have a problem getting SMS to work, but nothing else seems to work. When I attempt to call someone from Contacts in OSX, I see a faint window flash at the top right of the screen, but that's it. No indication anywhere that handoff is occurring for things like e-mail or safari tabs.

I have Yosemite on a 2013 Macbook Air and iOS 8 on a iPhone 5.

Edit: Every time I chose "call" on a contact, it appears to be launching the FaceTime app which either quickly closes or crashes.

Last edited by sonicstorm; Jun 3, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
sonicstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:32 PM   #39
kerrikins
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Thanks.
Probably some kinks to work out while it's in beta.
kerrikins is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:33 PM   #40
joshuaclinton
macrumors newbie

Handoff isn't working for me either. I can receive SMS on MBP, but can't send SMS and MBP/iPhone doesn't show up when composing e-mails, etc (I have the handoff setting turned on under System Preferences). I'm running late 2013 rMBP and iPhone 5S so I KNOW that my system isn't too old for it...
joshuaclinton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:34 PM   #41
T-Will
macrumors 6502

Does sending an SMS from OSX simply use your iPhone as a proxy? Does SMS from OSX still count against your plan's messaging limit?
T-Will is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:36 PM   #42
agsmith87
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwr View Post
Assuming email handoff will only work with iCloud email. Guess I'll finally make the switch.
Nope - I did it with a draft email using an exchange account. I'm guessing it'll work as long as both devices have the same account.
agsmith87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:36 PM   #43
goobot
macrumors 68040

Is this an api? If not it should. Devs could do some cool stuff with this.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:36 PM   #44
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will View Post
Does sending an SMS from OSX simply use your iPhone as a proxy? Does SMS from OSX still count against your plan's messaging limit?
According to the keynote, yes and yes
TV 3
locoboi187 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:37 PM   #45
acedout
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
I can almost guarantee you'll need a system with Bluetooth 4.0, which means I won't be able to use it on my 2009 MBP...time to get serious about saving up for a new machine.
Or you could buy a BT4 dongle I've just ordered one on amazon for 20 bucks
acedout is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:39 PM   #46
nchamow
macrumors newbie

Email attachments in iOS 8?

Does iOS 8 support attaching documents via iCloud drive?
nchamow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:41 PM   #47
iMacBooked
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to iMacBooked Send a message via AIM to iMacBooked Send a message via MSN to iMacBooked Send a message via Yahoo to iMacBooked Send a message via Skype™ to iMacBooked
Awesome feature, continuity!
iMacBooked is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:43 PM   #48
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedout View Post
Or you could buy a BT4 dongle I've just ordered one on amazon for 20 bucks
No dongle will ever disgrace my computer.

There are plenty of features that justify my upgrading after 5 years, I'd like to be able to use things like Airplay at home. Retina is really what I'm after. BT 4.0 just sweetens the deal.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:44 PM   #49
iOrbit
macrumors 6502

Can someone tell me if i have the necessary hardware to enjoy Handoff and continuity?

i have:

iPad 2
MacBook Pro 15" & iMac 27" (both 2011 models, late 2011 for MBP)
and iPhone 4S.

i think my macs aren't bluetooth 4.. if they arent, can i simply buy a bluetooth 4 dongle for them both?

does my iPhone 4S have bluetooth 4?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:45 PM   #50
ekwipt
macrumors 6502

I just want FaceTime to ring on preferred devices when I'm home at the moment all three ipad iPhone and MacBook ring at once, kind of annoying. F you could select preference when on the same network or something, this would be great
ekwipt is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion