Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has introduced new specifications for manufacturers in the company's Made for iPhone (MFi) program that allow them to create headphones that connect to iOS devices via a Lightning cable rather than a regular 3.5mm headphone jack, according to 9to5Mac.

beatsbydre-250x311.jpg
The Lightning headphones will be capable of receiving lossless stereo 48 kHz digital audio output from Apple devices and sending mono 48 kHz digital audio input. The input means that the headphones will also support a microphone for audio input following Apple's upcoming update. Manufacturers will be able to take advantage of Apple Headphone Remote controls like Volume Up/Down/etc, as well as other buttons for launching specific apps such as iTunes Radio or initiating playback controls on iOS. In addition, the headphones can be made to work specifically with a companion iOS app and launch a specific app when connected to an iOS device.
The specification includes two configurations for headphones. The first is called Standard Lightning Headphones, which uses minimum components when paired to a digital-to-analog converter. The second is called Advanced Lightning Headphones, which allows for more complex features like active noise cancellation.

The Lightning cable-equipped headphones would also allow iOS devices to power or charge headphones that require electricity, and would also allow for headphones to potentially power or charge up iOS devices.

Reports suggest Apple is planning to allow high definition music downloads and playback on iOS devices as well as new in-ear headphones that could take advantage of high-quality audio and take advantage of Lightning Cable MFi specifications. It is also possible Apple uses newly purchased Beats Electronics' popular headphone line to accelerate adoption for the new standard.

Article Link: Apple Introduces Lightning Cable MFi Specifications for Headphones

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I guess that means high-end headphones will be able to use their own DAC in order to produce better sound, since the one in the iPhone, while not bad per se, is of course limited by cost and size constraints.

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Welcome to the future, where you have to buy new headphones if you switch to Android :rolleyes:

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I can see the internal space of the headphone jack being useful for other things, but using the lightning connector stops you form being able to charge the phone while using headphones. Of course if things shift to wireless charging that would negate that point, but you'd also have to have MFI headphones, you couldn't bring along your own set of favourite headphones with an old school jack. Unless we start having 3.5mm to lighting converters, but that starts to get messy.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
There is already an optical audio combo port on the macbook pros. I wonder why they just don't use that standard already in place.

JPinSD

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
California
Thinner rumors may be true?

Of all the even thinner iPhone 6 rumors I didn't think they could go much thinner because of the headphone jack, guess this will be how they get around that, just get rid of it all together. I think it'll be great so long as it's not a pain to use an adapter to charge at the same time as listening.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Lossless 48 kHz digital output is a huge deal -- with the right headphones and source material, it will *vastly* affect audio quality. Bravo, Apple.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I can see the internal space of the headphone jack being useful for other things, but using the lightning connector stops you form being able to charge the phone while using headphones. Of course if things shift to wireless charging that would negate that point, but you'd also have to have MFI headphones, you couldn't bring along your own set of favourite headphones with an old school jack. Unless we start having 3.5mm to lighting converters, but that starts to get messy.

Apple has always been a company to remove features before they were really obsolete. I don't really see how this would work out, considering they are moving to proprietary and not just removing the feature. In terms of listening to music while charging, that seems like a big issue. I'm sure Apple has something in mind. Only time will tell..

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
first thought - "that's stupid."

Second thought - "that's the coolest thing in quite a while"

Think about it - never needing to charge your noise canceling headphones? Digital audio out? Sweet!!

Besides having to spend alot of money, I kinda like the idea too.

Am not being sarcastic.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
This must mean that wireless charging is in the way; otherwise it would be impossible to listen and charge at the same time.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
No thanks. I want a standard for something like this. Not for every other company to have their own port. This means no ones headphones work with each other. OG iPhone anyone? Just make a smaller standard. Pretty sure there is already a 2.5mm jack out there actually.

Of all the even thinner iPhone 6 rumors I didn't think they could go much thinner because of the headphone jack, guess this will be how they get around that, just get rid of it all together. I think it'll be great so long as it's not a pain to use an adapter to charge at the same time as listening.

Except the rumors say it will still be thicker than the current iPod touch.

Last edited:

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
I was going to buy an expensive pair of earplugs. Let me hold off for the time being.

Steve J0bs

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
i just hope i can still use my Sennheiser HD 598's with some sort of adapter. Quality headphones aren't exactly cheap.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Maybe there'll be a Lightning plug on the base of the headphones to help with charging?

What they could also do is put a Lightning port on Macs so we can take those Lightning headphones and listen to music at home. A Lightning to Lightning cable would be nice too.... won't have to worry about USB speeds or specs to transfer data or charge.

JPinSD

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
California
Except the rumors say it will still be thicker than the current iPod touch.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I had actually forgotten about the iPod Touch since finally getting my iPhone. If nothing else maybe they can get rid of it and expand the battery, more life out of my phone is what I want more than anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.