Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Razer has unveiled its Junglecat iOS gaming controller for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5, bringing a number of hardware features that attempt to make games easier and more natural to play on a mobile device.

razer_junglecat1-800x530.jpg
The accessory features a slide-out unibody design that contains a Lightning connected upper enclosure for the iPhone, and boasts console-style controls such as a D-Pad, ABXY face buttons, and shoulder bumpers. The Junglecat includes open access to the iPhone's hardware features including the sleep/wake button, volume buttons, home button, headphone jack, and front/rear cameras.

Razer is also shipping a companion app with the Junglecat, allowing users to remap face buttons and adjust sensitivity on the controller. The app will also include a list of games optimized for controller play, as the app's interface displays both purchased apps and featured games.

razer_junglecat2-800x457.jpg
It is unknown if Razer's Junglecat is a more final version of the company's "Kazuyo" controller that was leaked earlier this year, however the latter featured a slim hard-shell case design and was rumored to come with full-sized analog sticks. A previous report also indicated that Razer would be shipping a companion app for the Kazuyo as well, perhaps indicating that the company chose a different design for its first iOS controller.

The Razer Junglecat joins a growing market of iOS game controllers, which includes the SteelSeries Stratus, Logitech PowerShell, MOGA Ace Power and Mad Catz's C.T.R.L.i controller. While all current controllers have attempted to impress consumers with unique designs and buttons, it has been reported that Apple's strict guidelines have hampered product quality.

Currently, an increasing number of games are offering iOS 7 controller support, including titles like 2K Drive, Dead Trigger 2, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. The number of iOS games supporting controllers is expected to grow as more accessories become available to consumers.

Razer's Junglecat controller will be available in white and black for $99 when it ships this summer.

Article Link: Razer Unveils 'Junglecat' Gaming Controller with Slide-Out Design, Companion App

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Why release this now when everyone is waiting for iphone 6? Couldn't be worse timing of a mediocre product

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Someone just release a controller that is wireless. You know, so we don't have to buy new ones every time we buy a new iDevice...

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Why release this now when everyone is waiting for iphone 6? Couldn't be worse timing of a mediocre product

It's a plastic case with computer hardware inside. The hardware is already designed, and it should be very easy to re-mold new forms of plastic.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

How many millions of iPhone 5 units out there?

How many iPhone 6 unit out there?

Do you think once the iPhone 6 comes out, people will stop using the iphone 5 all together?

----------

I haven't tried this but razor makes some of the crappiest overpriced stuff you can find in the PC world

Depends on the product, but yeah Razor have been slipping every year. While I liked their older stuff, the new stuff is pffft.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
And because the iphone 6 will be released, people should just drop support for the iphone 5 and 5s?
It'd be surprising if they didn't already have plans for a bigger controller.

Now if you don't like Razer, fine. It's like picking between AMD and Nvidia, everyone has their own preference and you won't make people change their mind just with your comment.
My Razer mouse is 6 years old and still works flawlessly, so does my 3 years old keyboard, and controller.

It'd be nice if people could stop being so "OMG THAT SUCKS IT'S EVIL JUST DON'T BUY IT'S CRAP". Nothing is SO bad. Jeez.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Someone just release a controller that is wireless. You know, so we don't have to buy new ones every time we buy a new iDevice...

Even if you make it wireless you still have to put the device in the case which for the iPhone 6 would make this a useless purchase "if" your upgrading. The Android offerings have a universal grip and connect to Bluetooth. This product has a better fit than any Android offering but is less universal. I personally would take a universal game controller because I always use cases with my phones.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Even if you make it wireless you still have to put the device in the case which for the iPhone 6 would make this a useless purchase "if" your upgrading. The Android offerings have a universal grip and connect to Bluetooth. This product has a better fit than any Android offering but is less universal. I personally would take a universal game controller because I always use cases with my phones.

I have seen cases that were made for iPad that were wireless like an Xbox 360 controller type layout.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
After the iPad, I actually can't game well on my iPhone anymore because of the tiny screen. I don't think this gaming controller well help me. Maybe some reading glasses and something with less action like hangman.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Looks very PSP Go-ish, which was certainly the most uncomfortable of the PSP series.

PSPGo_-_Piano_Black.png

----------

I guess all tech companies should stop support for anything more than 12 months old. It's obsolete!

I think for many of us it's a pain considering how quickly iPhones are refreshed. Previously in the games market you'd get 1 device that would last the life of the generation (so 3-10 years). A controller you buy for the PS4 today will be usable on the final PS4 model before the PS5, for example.

This is why I don't buy games or accessories for my iPhone and relegate it to a "I don't have my 3DS or Vita on me, let's play Angry Birds for a few minutes" device.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Is an adjustable clip to hold the phone so hard to make? People knocking out $3 tripod adaptors seem to manage it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.