Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooee!

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
Anyone here playing this game? I think it's fun. Runs great on OS X like all blizzard games. Also it's free. There is no need to spend money on the cards unlike unlike other blizzard games.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I have been playing it a lot. I really enjoy it. I used to play collectible card games in real life, so being able to play this one online is very appealing to me. I also like that you can play for free if you're ok with not having all the cards.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I'm currently quite enjoying it, but can't help to feel that it misses the intricacies of more traditional CCGs. The different classes surely allow for some variation, but within each class, there don't seem to be that many different strategies viable. So, in it's current form, I think it will be exhausted after a while. I'd guess Blizzard would add some new content in the future allowing for more variation, though.

Cooee!

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
I have been playing it a lot. I really enjoy it. I used to play collectible card games in real life, so being able to play this one online is very appealing to me. I also like that you can play for free if you're ok with not having all the cards.

I also really wanted to play an online card game. I also played card games in real life but there's almost no one to play with.

I'm currently quite enjoying it, but can't help to feel that it misses the intricacies of more traditional CCGs. The different classes surely allow for some variation, but within each class, there don't seem to be that many different strategies viable. So, in it's current form, I think it will be exhausted after a while. I'd guess Blizzard would add some new content in the future allowing for more variation, though.

I agree, some cards are practically useless because they do not have the right cards to couple with. I want to see every card being used.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I agree, some cards are practically useless because they do not have the right cards to couple with. I want to see every card being used.

This is not entirely true. Every card is useful, but you don't see played all of them, because not all cards fit the actual meta. This goes for most, if not all other collectible card games.

Fortunately, meta changes when someone discovers a miracle deck that beats most other decks. This is when most decks need to get adjusted to that, causing the shift in the meta.

In the Hearthstone history, I've seen Secret Mage decks rule the scene. Formidable Twisting Nether Warlock control decks, ruthless Warrior pirate decks, hard to beat divine paladin decks, you name it.

Play Hearthstone for a while and eventually, you'll see all cards hit the board:)

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
Because of friends I've played Magic cards for the last 8 years. A few things always upset me when playing tho, like people having a huge variety of cards of the last 2 decades, not drawing mana in a timely fashion, games that drag on, etc. This solves a bunch of problems i've had with Magic over the years, looks visually appealing, ties in World of Warcraft lore, and its just damn fun! I can hop on and play just a round or two, or get hooked and spend my entire night on it! Blizz games are very reliable for having fun imo, i'm always down for anything they make. Glad they're getting into smaller size game development as well, not everything has to be the scope and size of World of Warcraft. Having said that, if they made WoW F2P i'd probably switch to just playing that all day again:p

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Yep, currently in casual play, you often end up fighting people with legendary decks. It's supposed to be matched play.

So you basically mean that when you pick your legendary deck for matched play, the game should automatically pit you against the few legendary deck archetypes. In what way would this be different from ranked play, with the exception of playing against ancient legendary decks?

Also, how would you know if the deck you just invented stands up to the best in the meta, if you are only able to get into matches with other deck prototypes?

As a matter of fact, without being skilled enough, legendary decks alone tend to fail more in matched play, because they are constructed to answer only a few other deck types.

Neryus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
Does somebody who bought the boxed version of Diablo III: Reaper of Souls still have his Hearthstone card pack code and doesn't need it? My private message box would be happy for a code. :)

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I've been playing this as a way to pass the time while I excercise on a stationary bike. I'm enjoying it for what it is, but I'm finding a few faults with it. Of course, nothing is perfect.

The flow of gems keeps the games moving nicely and not too drug out unlike Magic and not drawing mana cards.

It's actually beneficial to go second as you get an extra card and the coin which gives you 2 gems on the first turn. I think this is too much of an advantage as if you do first, you generally end up not playing anything, get one less card, and are essentially a turn behind.

It's a little more simple than I'd like. Secrets allow a few interrupts, but there's no real tricky decks out there. You know, the fun ones that have all the weird mechanics. Most all decks are the same. Sure, there's a few combos and cards, but it's nothing too different out there. I'm sure this is something that could be addressed with time if the developers chose to, but it's like they wanted everything to be as balanced as possible even if that sacrifices fun.

A strategy I've found that others use a lot, especially in the arena, is to let their game timer run out all the way. It's annoying and I hate it. If someone plays that way, I'll just do the same in hopes that they decide to play right instead of trying to get you to concede because they're being dicks. There needs to be a way to stop this some how. If you haven't got the gist already, it's frustrating.

We need moar cards! I'm hoping there are expansions in the future.

All in all, I think it's a fun time waster. I really like the Magic online games that played almost exactly like a real magic game and was a bit disappointed by the Magic 2014 I downloaded the other week.

MPL

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
A strategy I've found that others use a lot, especially in the arena, is to let their game timer run out all the way. It's annoying and I hate it. If someone plays that way, I'll just do the same in hopes that they decide to play right instead of trying to get you to concede because they're being dicks. There needs to be a way to stop this some how. If you haven't got the gist already, it's frustrating.
People may just be experiencing a bad connection. It has happened to me a couple of times. Sadly there's not way of telling it from bad manners.

soulsyphon

macrumors regular
May 3, 2014
if you like hearthstone, you might want to look up two other games...

one is called "hex" the other "faeria"

just trying to expand the TCG/CCG genre ;p

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
It's actually beneficial to go second as you get an extra card and the coin which gives you 2 gems on the first turn. I think this is too much of an advantage as if you do first, you generally end up not playing anything, get one less card, and are essentially a turn behind.

That really depends on a deck's strategy. Priests can play Nortshire Cleric and Power Word: Shield to boost their health to five, which is not bad for first turn monster.

I see the coin played mostly in defence. There are only very few instances in which it is beneficial (mana acceleration, rush decks), but you have to get all the needed cards in your starting hand, which is not something you can really count on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.