Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DzR-BaM

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Hi All,

Mothers day is around the corner, and thinking of getting my wife a 32gb Ipad Mini Retina, I currently have an Air, and she wants an ipad.

However as with all things, the newer models, This gift would be for mothers day, however her birthday is early october. She would use it daily to replace the PC as she only ever Fb, games, and websites.

After some adv. if I should bite the bullet and get it now, They are still pricey in Aus, so not much will change. And I know its each persons opinion and no one can really tell for me, however still after some advice.

Cheers

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
When theres is still 6 months to go till the newer models are announced, I would definitely buy one now. If it was only 1-2 months away, I would of said wait.

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I went ahead and did it. And since it'll be the one to leave the house more often I grabbed a 128. AT&T monthly payment is only $5 more than the 64gb I wanted

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
current mini is a great product. The next version will be better in some way, but the current one will still be a great product.

My guess at the changes to the next version are:
1) TouchID
2) thinner/lighter
3) some super whiz-bang feature that no one has figured out yet - that has nothing to do with FB, games or browsing...

If this will be used outside of the house a lot, those things may be important, but if it is going to be mostly at home, well, the current version is pretty thin & light and she probably won't enable the screen lock anyway...

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I dont think iPad minis are coming for atleast 6 months and even when they do it will just be a minor spec boost and touch ID. Not really worth the wait if you ask me.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
When theres is still 6 months to go till the newer models are announced, I would definitely buy one now. If it was only 1-2 months away, I would of said wait.

This. If you keep waiting for the next one you will never buy one cuz there's always something new coming. If anything just sell it when you want the new one. So just buy it and have fun.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Buy what you want now. iPads and iPhone updates are always just around the corner. True for macs too. Get the best option for what you want and stop worrying about waiting.

DzR-BaM

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks all,

Purchased the Ipad Mini Retina 32gb white, for $549 Australian,

So decent price for here, thanks for all the replies, hope she likes it come sunday.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Thanks all,

Purchased the Ipad Mini Retina 32gb white, for $549 Australian,

So decent price for here, thanks for all the replies, hope she likes it come sunday.

Nice purchase :). The current mini is still a good purchase. Heck, I bought a used first gen last month. Both versions are good buys for the right price.

andrewsGF50

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
I got mine in November and I love it. It's a 32GB Wifi model and it works great.:D:p:cool: I think I will stick with it for now. Maybe wait for the iPad mini 4. I am also planning on getting an iPhone 6 this year when it comes out. Plus, new devices always come out and there will be no MAJOR difference between the retina mini and the mini 3. This was not the case with the original to retina. There were lots of differences there.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.