Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I was going to recycle/toss an old iPhone 3GS last year. Battery was shot, had a couple of cracks on the back casing, and the power button wasn't responding to presses.
Described it accurately on eBay, sold as is for parts, and got $50 :)

mrxak

macrumors 68000
In my experience, you'll only get a gift card if your recycled product is a very recent model, and it won't be for much. You're better off trying to sell it. You'll get more money that way, and for the environment, reusing is better than recycling anyway.

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
of course you could get more selling it on your own, but for those with throw away incomes, it's better to take it to the Apple store then to put it in the trash (then to a landfill) :)

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Just to put this "great innovation" in context: in Switzerland every electronics store is obliged to take back any electronics devices - TVs, computers, microwaves, radios, ... - for recycling! No matter whether the device was actually bought in that store!

That service is already paid for when you buy the device - any electric or electronic device.

Want a reference? Here: http://www.erecycling.ch/faq-e-recycling#t25n115

Off course it is in german, but the first FAQ answer sais it all: "Überall dort wo diese Elektro- und Elektronikgeräte verkauft werden, können Sie diese auch zurückbringen." -> "You can return your devices at every store which sells electric and electronic devices".

That's awesome and very progressive. Thanks for sharing this!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
A couple of weeks ago I took my old 17" MBP over to the Apple store near me and I was told, NO, they do NOT take all products -- only iPads, iPhones and iPods. I brought the computer back home and got online and am now recycling it through PowerON, Apple's recycling partner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.