Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warriorz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Hi guys,

Just made the switch over to Android with a Nexus 5 from a iPhone 5s. Wanted the change, love Apple and been with them since day one iPhone but wanted to see the other side. Question is how did you guys migrate over? Specifically: getting my Apple Calendar, Reminders and notes over to my Nexus?

Any other tips for a brand new Android user?

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
The dark side

Since your making the switch, did you do any research as into what will work and not work?

Or did you just do this on a whim ? and then realize that your running into problems

bunchofpenguins

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013
I've found that SmoothSync for Cloud Calendar is really great. There's also an app for contacts, as well, and a free app/extension which handles iCloud reminders. The only thing is that the developer mentioned that recurring iCloud reminders are trickier to tackle, so they're not fully supported yet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.caldav.icloud

The only issue I've had a problem with is the default email app being pretty, well, awful, and having no way to map IMAP folders which is a huge oversight on Google's part. :\

warriorz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I've found that SmoothSync for Cloud Calendar is really great. There's also an app for contacts, as well, and a free app/extension which handles iCloud reminders. The only thing is that the developer mentioned that recurring iCloud reminders are trickier to tackle, so they're not fully supported yet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.caldav.icloud

The only issue I've had a problem with is the default email app being pretty, well, awful, and having no way to map IMAP folders which is a huge oversight on Google's part. :\

Great. Thanks very much for your advice, I'll have a look. I'm very surprised at the IMAP issue!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can set up your contacts to include google contact and then drag/drop them within OSX. You're best bet is to transition over to the google services to maximize the benefit of what Android has to offer.

warriorz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Hi, yes, shame Apple make it fiddly to get info in iCloud over to Google services as I still have other Apple hardware using icloud which I'd like to keep in sync. But as you say seems it would be easier to use Google services from now, obviously Apple are more than happy to allow importing into iCloud iCal, Mail. It's just the mass of info I currently have in icloud that's going to be a long process to get into Google.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
did you get your nexus 5 yet? I just ordered one this morning. Using google contacts is the best way for me.

warriorz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
did you get your nexus 5 yet? I just ordered one this morning. Using google contacts is the best way for me.

Hi yes I did get it. Been playing around with it. Well, at the moment I'm not 'connecting' with it. I've never used anything other than iPhones so am used to easy one handed use. The N5 is a bit of a struggle for one hand. And secondly, well Android, it requires a bit more thinking power. Obviously I have to be fair and say one or two hours here and there is not really enough time to get to know and evaluate Android properly, but for sure you'll need to spend a significant amount of time setting it up, especially if you're heavily invested in Apple/ iCloud and more so if you've not used Android. Double whammy for me. There definitely is a learning curve and frankly it had me stumped at times. So I'm not too sure about transitioning over right now. Have to say if the big boys, Apple and Google, made it easy to switch between platforms I'd definitely be trying the N5 and Android 100% of the time. ATM I'm using ip5 as daily driver and just playing around with the Nexus. I might give the Moto X a shot for size...Feel a bit disappointed as wanted to jump right into Android but that Apple ecosystem, I'm completely 'locked' in, I use Apple and iCloud for all my mobile and computing needs.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hi yes I did get it. Been playing around with it. Well, at the moment I'm not 'connecting' with it. I've never used anything other than iPhones so am used to easy one handed use. The N5 is a bit of a struggle for one hand. And secondly, well Android, it requires a bit more thinking power. Obviously I have to be fair and say one or two hours here and there is not really enough time to get to know and evaluate Android properly, but for sure you'll need to spend a significant amount of time setting it up, especially if you're heavily invested in Apple/ iCloud and more so if you've not used Android. Double whammy for me. There definitely is a learning curve and frankly it had me stumped at times. So I'm not too sure about transitioning over right now. Have to say if the big boys, Apple and Google, made it easy to switch between platforms I'd definitely be trying the N5 and Android 100% of the time. ATM I'm using ip5 as daily driver and just playing around with the Nexus. I might give the Moto X a shot for size...Feel a bit disappointed as wanted to jump right into Android but that Apple ecosystem, I'm completely 'locked' in, I use Apple and iCloud for all my mobile and computing needs.

Yes it is very different and there is a adaption period if you have only used an iPhone. There are homescreens that iOS doesnt have and its just a different platform. Once you have it set up, its all cake from there. It will take a few weeks to feel comfortable to know how things work but you will get it.
Just try to not use your iPhone during this period because that wont help. The Nexus 5 is a really good phone.
You will adapt to the size as well. It isnt a issue for me and never was and id say i have medium size hands. Hec my Daughter had a GS3 and now has a GS5 and has never complained about one handed use and she is 5'2.5", 100-105 lbs so she isnt very big, lol.

Ask questions to help yourself out. That will make things easier.

warriorz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Yes it is very different and there is a adaption period if you have only used an iPhone. There are homescreens that iOS doesnt have and its just a different platform. Once you have it set up, its all cake from there. It will take a few weeks to feel comfortable to know how things work but you will get it.
Just try to not use your iPhone during this period because that wont help. The Nexus 5 is a really good phone.
You will adapt to the size as well. It isnt a issue for me and never was and id say i have medium size hands. Hec my Daughter had a GS3 and now has a GS5 and has never complained about one handed use and she is 5'2.5", 100-105 lbs so she isnt very big, lol.

Ask questions to help yourself out. That will make things easier.

Hmm. I actually have the N5 all packed up and ready to go back (Amazon). Having used Android for a very, very short time I just started to appreciate how good iOS actually is. But I'm completely aware it's way to short a time to judge fairly, it's more gut instinct with the lack of 'connection' thing. So I'd decided it was just easier to stick to the iPhone and iOS. Although I know my feelings with android and the size of the n5 weren't fair, your comments are making me rethink! How long did it take you to adapt, size and os wise, (or did you just feel comfortable with size straight away?).

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hmm. I actually have the N5 all packed up and ready to go back (Amazon). Having used Android for a very, very short time I just started to appreciate how good iOS actually is. But I'm completely aware it's way to short a time to judge fairly, it's more gut instinct with the lack of 'connection' thing. So I'd decided it was just easier to stick to the iPhone and iOS. Although I know my feelings with android and the size of the n5 weren't fair, your comments are making me rethink! How long did it take you to adapt, size and OS wise, (or did you just feel comfortable with size straight away?).

My GS3 was a lot bigger than my 4 screen phone i had before and my N5 is a little bigger than my GS3 was so you do get used to it. It was fairly easy for me but i love the bigger screen. There is a [ont for me though that they are too big. The LG G3 i think is that for me.

As for getting used to the OS......let me know if this is familiar to you.

When i first got Android, i was a bit frustrated at first. It had homescreens and i was expecting it to be very similar to the iPhone and it wasnt. In between using my Android the first week or two, i would keep picking up my iPhone to check things like email and even switched back to it carrying it around and still using it one day, then going back to Android.

I would see different things here and there and saw other things it could do and finally in that third week, i started to really appreciate the other things it could do and finally put my iPhone away as i felt pretty comfortable with it.

The Homescreens were awkward at first but now i love em and dont know how i could do without them. Making the homescreen as empty or full as you want with the apps you use the most is great.

Apps get updated year round and almost dailey i get an update on something so i didnt have to wait for a system OS update which really helps and makes it feel like things improve all the time til you do get a system update which i just got three days ago to 4.4.3.

Its been a while now...a few years and i dont have any desire to use a iPhone at all and thats not a knock on it, i do like Apple products but for me as a phone,Android is just more free and has more options just for Keyboards and other things. I know iOS is getting Swiftkey finallly and thats great but there are a bunch of various Swiftkey type keyboards in the Playstore and some , like Kii are better imo than Swiftkey. Just one example.

Its up to you to use what you want and i get it. But really coming from where you are, you should give it a few weeks if you can and try to do it with not using your iPhone which can be tough if thats all you know.

If you need help transfering things to make it easier, just ask. Many here will let you know how to do it with apps thy have used.

Last edited:

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Same here it takes a while to get use to it. I switched back in 2012 to WP8 and Android phone for about 6 month each and end up going back to the iPhone. In my opinion Android is more for those that likes to tinker and customize, WP8 is in the middle some customization but not like Android just lacking a lot of apps. I find that a lot of my family members use the iPhone because the layout is just simple and are heavily invested in Apple (facetime,iMessage, apps) with iOS 8.0 it's going to get better. Going to play with my Nexus 5 as a daily driver until the iPhone 6 comes out. How many days do you have to return the phone?

warriorz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
My GS3 was a lot bigger than my 4 screen phone i had before and my N5 is a little bigger than my GS3 was so you do get used to it. It was fairly easy for me but i love the bigger screen. There is a [ont for me though that they are too big. The LG G3 i think is that for me.

When i first got Android, i was a bit frustrated at first. It had homescreens and i was expecting it to be very similar to the iPhone and it wasnt. In between using my Android the first week or two, i would keep picking up my iPhone to check things like email and even switched back to it carrying it around and still using it one day, then going back to Android.

I would see different things here and there and saw other things it could do and finally in that third week, i started to really appreciate the other things it could do and finally put my iPhone away as i felt pretty comfortable with it.

The Homescreens were awkward at first but now i love em and dont know how i could do without them. Making the homescreen and empty or full as you want with the apps you use the most is great.

Apps get updated year round and almost dailey i get an update on something so i didnt have to wait for a system OS update which really helps and makes it feel like things improve all the time til you do get a system update which i just got three days ago to 4.4.3.

Its been a while now...a few years and i dont have any desire to use a iPhone at all and thats not a knock on it, i do like Apple products but for me as a phone,Android is just more free and has more options just for Keyboards and other things. I know iOS is getting Swiftkey finallly and thats great but there are a bunch of various Swiftkey type keyboards in the Playstore and some , like Kii are better imo than Swiftkey. Just one example.

Its up to you to use what you want and i get it. But really coming from where you are, you should give it a few weeks if you can and try to do it with not using your iPhone which can be tough if thats all you know.

If you need help transfering things to make it easier, just ask. Many here will let you know how to do it with apps thy have used.

Well I've exported my Apple calendars into Google Calendars, same for iCloud contacts. Took a long time sorting things out! Switched off iPhone iCloud calendars, contacts, and made google the default email and Notes address. So the important stuff is in the Google cloud which seems to be what a lot if users are suggesting is the best bet. Means I can access this info on iOS by switching it on and obviously it's default on Android. Not sure how I can my current ICloud notes on the Nexus, for now I'll email myself the important ones. Need to download some essential apps from google play. Then I should be good to go for my foray into Android! Haven't inserted my Sim yet!

warriorz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Same here it takes a while to get use to it. I switched back in 2012 to WP8 and Android phone for about 6 month each and end up going back to the iPhone. In my opinion Android is more for those that likes to tinker and customize, WP8 is in the middle some customization but not like Android just lacking a lot of apps. I find that a lot of my family members use the iPhone because the layout is just simple and are heavily invested in Apple (facetime,iMessage, apps) with iOS 8.0 it's going to get better. Going to play with my Nexus 5 as a daily driver until the iPhone 6 comes out. How many days do you have to return the phone?

The layout is really simple, and yup I'm heavily invested too. I have a around 3 weeks left but I really don't want to send back a phone that might have some cosmetic damage through use. But I think I will try it for a while anyway. Give it a good fair chance.

----------

The Homescreens were awkward at first but now i love em and dont know how i could do without them. Making the homescreen as empty or full as you want with the apps you use the most is great.

Thanks for all this info btw. Any help with this please guys:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1742909/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.