Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I sold my friend a late 2008 24" around 4 or 5 months ago. He just called and told me it was dead - would not start. It was working perfectly until last night.

I am going over to take a look at it. Are there any troubleshooting steps I can take in order to either start it up or figure out what's wrong with it?

Thanks. Steven

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Not the answer

The answer given to me above is not for Macs which will not start and appear dead.

Any other ideas?

ReggaeFire

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2003
I would check to see if it's actually powering on, but not displaying anything. The GPUs on many of those had a defect that can result in that.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
My early 2008 died about a week ago. Turned out to be the hard drive. Not a big deal to replace and it's back up running perfectly again. I expect to get another year or two out of it.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Probably Power

It doesn't seem to be powering on at all. Just seems dead.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I would check to see if it's actually powering on, but not displaying anything. The GPUs on many of those had a defect that can result in that.

Yeah, mine did that. I put it in the oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees twice with a 15 minute break in between.

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Tried that

Yes, I guess I sloughed over that. However, unplugging and trying to start it by holding the power button was one of the first things we tried. No response to that.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Some years ago, there was a problem with some Macs that was similar to yours.

That is, press the power-on button, and ..... nothing.

The cause was a dead PRAM (motherboard) battery.

Replace the battery, and everything back to normal.

Many folks replaced entire motherboards, when the only "faulty part" was the battery.

I don't know if this might also apply to modern iMacs. Worth consideration...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.