Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi All,
My dad has a 2012 27" iMac which came with 8GB RAM, he took the 2 4GB sticks out and upgraded it to 32GB. Looking on MacTracker I can see the iMac and the Mac Mini uses the same RAM. We have a 2012 Server Mini which came with 4GB RAM in 2 2GB sticks. So i put the RAM in the Mac Mini and it boots fine but still only shows 4GB and thinks there are 2 2GB sticks in there not 2 4GB? Anyone know why?

Thanks

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Hi All,
My dad has a 2012 27" iMac which came with 8GB RAM, he took the 2 4GB sticks out and upgraded it to 32GB. Looking on MacTracker I can see the iMac and the Mac Mini uses the same RAM. We have a 2012 Server Mini which came with 4GB RAM in 2 2GB sticks. So i put the RAM in the Mac Mini and it boots fine but still only shows 4GB and thinks there are 2 2GB sticks in there not 2 4GB? Anyone know why?

Thanks

Are you sure that it shows both sticks ? I had a problem with one stick and it turned out that I hadn't pushed it in far enough.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Are you sure that it shows both sticks ? I had a problem with one stick and it turned out that i hadn't pushed it in far enough.

Yeah they defiantly were and surely if it wasn't the right RAM it would make the beep on startup right? So it's strange why it thinks it has 4GB of RAM still!

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Yeah they defiantly were and surely if it wasn't the right RAM it would make the beep on startup right? So it's strange why it thinks it has 4GB of RAM still!

Take one out and see what it says. Change the sockets and see what it says.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Take one out and see what it says. Change the sockets and see what it says.

I tried that when I took one out it showed 2GB and swapping them around made no difference. Not to worry though it only runs the Server app so doesn't really need more RAM. Thanks a lot for your help!

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I tried that when I took one out it showed 2GB and swapping them around made no difference. Not to worry though it only runs the Server app so doesn't really need more RAM. Thanks a lot for your help!

No, what I meant was see what it says if you only use the top socket, then see what it says if you only use the bottom socket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.