Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
I really wish apple would of just updated final cut 7 to something like final cut 8, updated all the other software (Motion, Soundtrack, Color and Compressor) for a Final Cut Studio 4. Instead they came out with Final Cut X, which as an editor and broadcast guy working in TV; Final Cut X Sucks!

Final Cut X is for non professionals.. Because of the rapid development, OSX being updated constantly... I've forced my self to learn adobe premiere and after effects. Although the broadcast department I work for prefers to use Final Cut Studio 3 (FCP7), learning the adobe applications was the best thing I could have done for my self...

berthaconners

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
It's worth remembering that, 3 years on from being superseded, FCP 7 runs on the latest OS. And that may continue in the next OS release, and the one after that...

You have a point. A very good point. But still, action should be taken, as stated earlier.

jacobclause

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
I really wish apple would of just updated final cut 7 to something like final cut 8, updated all the other software (Motion, Soundtrack, Color and Compressor) for a Final Cut Studio 4. Instead they came out with Final Cut X, which as an editor and broadcast guy working in TV; Final Cut X Sucks!

Final Cut X is for non professionals.. Because of the rapid development, OSX being updated constantly... I've forced my self to learn adobe premiere and after effects. Although the broadcast department I work for prefers to use Final Cut Studio 3 (FCP7), learning the adobe applications was the best thing I could have done for my self...

You're right, there are tons of benefits to the adobe suite. Tons. But, still, FPC 7 was a great program. It covered all the bases, and for basic stuff, you needed nothing else. It got the job done. And X is good for tablets and noobs, but they should have made more of an effort to preserve a product that many of their users very extremely fond of.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
You're right, there are tons of benefits to the adobe suite. Tons. But, still, FPC 7 was a great program. It covered all the bases, and for basic stuff, you needed nothing else. It got the job done. And X is good for tablets and noobs, but they should have made more of an effort to preserve a product that many of their users very extremely fond of.

I went out of my way to try FCP X too, don't think I'm all talk like the rest of the critics.. I did the full lessons on Lynda.com and everything, but its just not broadcast professional friendly.. I love the interface and love the way they integrated some motion features in it, but its not what it should be.

Being forced to save my projects in the movie folder, forced rendering, not being able to round trip motion and color edits; nope can't do it.. As a professional I love taking text solids, right clicking and sending it to motion.. Do my composting, save it and go back to final cut and there's my composite on screen the way I want it. Adobe premiere and after effects are very similar accept its called dynamic link.

I want to be able to render when I feel the need or when I'm finished with my project, ready to export. The list goes on and on and apple just straight up screwed its professional editing users. I already own an adobe cc membership and once final cut studio 3 doesn't work and I cant use mountain lion anymore and I have to use mavericks, unless apple makes something equivalent to studio 3... I will move on with adobe..

berthaconners

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
I admire you for your efforts to learn X. I've tried it for a few hours without a lot of tutorials, and found it very different and icky. It's nice to hear that someone who did it the right way had an equally bad experience. I wish you the best of luck with your future editing...

You actually have a serious investment into it. I just kinda idly do it as a hobby, as previously stated. For me, I like what I know, and I'm just plain not interested in moving on. I'm very content where I am.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Being forced to save my projects in the movie folder, forced rendering

You can put your projects anywhere you want, I do. You can also turn background rendering off which is extremely simple.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
You can put your projects anywhere you want, I do. You can also turn background rendering off which is extremely simple.

Haven't used it in a long time, but from what I remember not the events folder, the other folder you're forced to save in the movie folder. I remember when the software first came out this was the most annoying feature on earth. And if you can finally turn BG rendering off :clap: for apple. I'm still not using it.

This is what I think about X, its red cool aid! It tastes good, looks good and makes you feel good, but in the long run you loose from its aftermath.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Haven't used it in a long time, but from what I remember not the events folder, the other folder you're forced to save in the movie folder. I remember when the software first came out this was the most annoying feature on earth. And if you can finally turn BG rendering off :clap: for apple. I'm still not using it.

This is what I think about X, its red cool aid! It tastes good, looks good and makes you feel good, but in the long run you loose from its aftermath.

As far as I remember, it defaults to the Movie folder unless you change it. Background rendering, Its not finally able to turn it off, there was always an option to do so since the first version. I don't care if you want to use it or not, only correcting information.

Last edited:

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
As a video editor, I love the freedom that FCP X brings, I do agree with the killing off of Color and the rest of the Final Cut Studio suite. I wish I could sit down and ask Sir Mr Jony Ive, what was he thinking when he pulled the plug on Final Cut Studio 4.

There is no word, no mention of any sort of replacement or updating of Color and Soundtrack Pro, which had issues, I am sure could have been sorted out. It was a decent enough program, Garageband is a poor substitute for SoundTrack Pro.

I was hoping that Apple might make it possible to run Color and Soundtrack Pro on Mavericks in a form that kept it the way it was, but compatible with the 64 bit of Mavericks, surely it cannot be that difficult.

Then again, Apple has no ability to create an app capable of playing AVI files natively within Quicktime/Preview or FCP X...A pity really... The fight over AVI is with Microsoft, and guess who supplies the search engine in Yosemite... A clue.. Not google....

berthaconners

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2014
As a video editor, I love the freedom that FCP X brings, I do agree with the killing off of Color and the rest of the Final Cut Studio suite. I wish I could sit down and ask Sir Mr Jony Ive, what was he thinking when he pulled the plug on Final Cut Studio 4.

There is no word, no mention of any sort of replacement or updating of Color and Soundtrack Pro, which had issues, I am sure could have been sorted out. It was a decent enough program, Garageband is a poor substitute for SoundTrack Pro.

I was hoping that Apple might make it possible to run Color and Soundtrack Pro on Mavericks in a form that kept it the way it was, but compatible with the 64 bit of Mavericks, surely it cannot be that difficult.

Then again, Apple has no ability to create an app capable of playing AVI files natively within Quicktime/Preview or FCP X...A pity really... The fight over AVI is with Microsoft, and guess who supplies the search engine in Yosemite... A clue.. Not google....

It seems to be that Apple is dropping most of the old programs. It's a shame. Oh well.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
In some ways we can all be angry, how dare Microsoft force us to use W95, Windows 3.1 worked.. XP was a brilliant system, I loved it, my HP laptop does not work under XP, I have to endure painful experiences using w8.1...

I am so glad that ADSL was invented, hated having to give up the phone line for my mom to phone the library when I was in the middle of a 30meg download that was 90% finished having logged on at 4am!!!

I thought FCP7 was the best non linear system, I hated the imovie pro version, hahahahahahahaha what was I thinking, now how can anyone with any sense edit on track based systems with complex set ups?? [Avid and her ugly twin sister Adobe]...

You can sit in the dark and curse the march of progress.. For me, I much prefer a lightbulb to noxious open flamed lighting...That is just me..

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
How to you figure Adobe is Avids ugly sister? Please enlighten us.

Do you know that going from FCP to Premiere is a painless transfer? I myself edited for 12 years on Avid, and FCP on occasion.. and upon my new position had to make the switch to Premiere.. it was seemless.. They include FCP keyboard settings, which is great..

Not to mention Premiere is much faster then FCP.. its 64 bit, edits native Red with ease.. and its integration with SpeedGrade, AE is superb.

I still edit on FCP.. and some features I do enjoy, but the keyframing and effect controls in Premiere blow away FCP.

I do wish Apple stuck with how FCP7 worked and looked, and truly kept the pros in mind.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
They last updated FCP 7 5 years ago and officially cancelled it 3 years ago. No company supports dead products and, like I said before, I'm surprised FCP 7 still works on new Macs. Time to either 'freeze' one of your computers in time (i.e. never update it) or find another program to edit with. Thankfully for the second option there are a variety of NLE's to choose from. FCP X, Avid MC, Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve (not a full featured NLE yet but getting there) and Lightworks (Mac beta releases in a couple of weeks I think).

Yeah, I'm still on 7 myself but I'm pretty jazzed about the DaVinci Resolve option, the Lite version of which is FREE. Best in class color corrector with a fair value NLE. Unless you're doing 4K you won't need to shell out for the full version. Pretty good alternative there...

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
To the OP.

The previous posters are correct. At some point, Apple will release Mac OS X 10.13 (or something) and it will kill off your ability to install/run FCP 7.

What hasn't been mentioned is that once that day comes to pass, you will always have the option to virtualize an older and compatible version of Mac OS X on your new box, and run FCP7 in a virtual machine.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
So, basically, whenever apple decides to "break" this program from my computer, I will absolutely HAVE to adapt? That seems kinda rude, considering how much I paid for it. I understand that the times change, and I will do the digital file as recommended, but why does apple always crap on their best products?

You could buy an emulator like Parallels and run FCP on that. I've been running Macromedia FreeHand 11 on Parallels (emulating Snow Leopard OS) in Mavericks and it runs as fast in emulation on the Mac Pro as it ever did on PowerPC Macs.

Nice thing about running old software in emulation is that the Macs keep getting faster, which balances the performance hit in running an emulator.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
You could buy an emulator like Parallels and run FCP on that. I've been running Macromedia FreeHand 11 on Parallels (emulating Snow Leopard OS) in Mavericks and it runs as fast in emulation on the Mac Pro as it ever did on PowerPC Macs.

Nice thing about running old software in emulation is that the Macs keep getting faster, which balances the performance hit in running an emulator.

it runs fast because it is virtualization, not emulation.

Emulation is what allows you to run 68k code on PPC hardware, or PPC code on x86/x64 hardware.

Virtualization allows for multiple operating systems on like hardware, frequently allowing for much less overhead and quicker execution, clock cycle vs clock cycle.

hellmacpro

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
So, I have been editing on Final Cut Pro 7 for the past million years, and I do not want to upgrade to 10. I bought a new iMac last december (holy God is it good) and was able to install 7 once again via discs that I'd kept. I'm just wondering if in the future I will not be able to install via disc. I edit for fun/ sometimes for a project for someone for money, but mainly for fun, and I really don't want to change software or anything. So, if there is someone who understands the technology better than I do, will I be always able to install 7 on any Mac in the future, as long as I keep these discs? Thank you!

just recently..about 3 weeks...i actually made a transition from FCP 7 to FCP x...and i have to admit...even though it looks like iMovie...it is professional still...
Have you thought about moving on to FCP X? I hate when I have to switch from FCP 7...because i like it...but....it's time to move on? I don't know....

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
just recently..about 3 weeks...i actually made a transition from FCP 7 to FCP x...and i have to admit...even though it looks like iMovie...it is professional still...
Have you thought about moving on to FCP X? I hate when I have to switch from FCP 7...because i like it...but....it's time to move on? I don't know....

The thing for me is that I learned how to edit on FCP7, and I got the (expensive) discs as a gift from my parents so that I can continue to edit for fun on the side after graduation.

I don't edit for money, and therefore, I cannot allow myself to purchase FCP 10. I find it unjustifiable to spend $300 on a program that I would only use passively. I mean, those discs weren't cheap, and I think it's pretty crumby that I would have to pay for the program all over again. Like, that's not fair.

I don't understand why they intentionally do this. My running a program that is a bit older on a fully upgraded imac should not cause them problems. Heck, I paid $1100 for the computer, and my parents paid $400 for the discs... and now I either won't be able to upgrade the expensive computer, or I'll have to buy the new program that I dont want in the first place...

Sorry for venting, I just think it is so not-nice of them to do that. Why can't they just let it be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.