Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
I'm trying to back up some movies with Handbrake and thus far I have been using RipIt to rip the DVD to my computer and then I put the dvdmedia file though Handbrake and encode what I want. The only problem with this method is that, some of these DVDs are like 8GB in size and the part I want is only 2GB so it's a complete waste of time ripping the whole thing. Unfortunately there are very few decent DVD rippers on the Mac from what I can tell. ( I know I could just encode the videos from the disc with Handbrake but I've heard that could wear the drive out faster.)

I do have a Windows partition which I know there are plenty of DVD rippers, but I am having a problem when I use them. One of the things I like about RipIt is that when I stick the dvdmedia file into Handbrake, all the chapter information is there and can be copied into the m4v file. If I go on windows and rip just the part I want with something like DVD decrypter, I no longer have any chapters when I put the vob file in Handbrake.

So what I need is a program that allows me to rip individual parts of a DVD and also keeps the chapters info. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA
I think DVDShrink is what you're looking for. I've been using it for years. It's free, but unfortunately hasn't been updated since 2005 I believe. I use it in Windows 7 under Boot Camp. I just rip the main movie, with only the 5.1 audio (ignoring previews, menus, stereo audio, subtitles, etc.), and it still keeps the chapters.

There's also a free companion program from Lifehacker that works in conjunction with DVDShrink called DVD Rip. It's supposed to make using DVDShrink pretty painless. I've never used DVD Rip and don't find DVDShrink particularly troublesome, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you.

Good luck.

montgomeryr

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012
Cinematize

I've been using Cinematize for years and it works great for legal DVD ripping. It allows you to select the parts that you want, visually. It's a paid program but affordable.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I use just use Handbrake (which I think uses VLC, but I'm not sure). Anyway, I open the DVD with Handbrake, select the title, and rip.

The thing with Handbrake is that you have to select the Title (AKA: Track) that you want to rip. I open the DVD with DVD Player, watch the part I'm interested, check which Title it is, and then select that number in Handbrake.

Maybe you have a similar option with your workflow?

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
I think DVDShrink is what you're looking for. I've been using it for years. It's free, but unfortunately hasn't been updated since 2005 I believe. I use it in Windows 7 under Boot Camp. I just rip the main movie, with only the 5.1 audio (ignoring previews, menus, stereo audio, subtitles, etc.), and it still keeps the chapters.

There's also a free companion program from Lifehacker that works in conjunction with DVDShrink called DVD Rip. It's supposed to make using DVDShrink pretty painless. I've never used DVD Rip and don't find DVDShrink particularly troublesome, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you.

Good luck.

I just tried DVDShrink and it does exactly what I need. Thank you! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.