Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
considering over 3 billion people currently don't have access to high speed internet, I don't see why this is considered a bad thing (by the OP).

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It seems like first world problems.
What percentage of people don't have access to internet simply due to lack of internet? I mean, I assume if one doesn't have access to internet, this is also coupled with not having access other amenity eg a device to access internet on. And are satellites even the best way of providing the people in the middle of Africa with internet?
Is it really just me, or does this article make "covering the earth in wifi" seem negative? I don't know I want earth "covered" in wifi. However, I have recently become very criterial of modern life and consumerism.
Perhaps people in the middle of Africa are better off without wifi.

You are already covered by TV, Communication, and yes, Internet satellites.

Too late.

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
This will be great for Google. I think they've looked into the long term benefit of what it can bring them personally. Expanding internet access to the developing world is now what's needed.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
The question is WHY?!
Why would anyone want this? Ok, sure this may provide a number of people in isolated area with welcome wifi. But either the people in those areas actually WANT to avoid such things as internet. Or, they have a system in place to provide themselves with internet.

This is easily one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Do you care to explain why?

Really? You cannot figure out the utility of globe-covering internet access?

"But either the people in those areas actually WANT to avoid such things as internet."

Ignoring the batflap craziness of suggesting everyone in places with no internet access are actively AVOIDING it... Ii's the internet. It's not a herd of buffalo. If you don't want it, it's not going to smash your door down and force its way onto you.

"Or, they have a system in place to provide themselves with internet."

If they have that system in place... THEN THEY AREN'T AVOIDING THE INTERNET OR LIVING SOMEWHERE WHERE IT'S NOT AVAILABLE, NOW ARE THEY?

:rolleyes:

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
Really? You cannot figure out the utility of globe-covering internet access?

"But either the people in those areas actually WANT to avoid such things as internet."

Ignoring the batflap craziness of suggesting everyone in places with no internet access are actively AVOIDING it... Ii's the internet. It's not a herd of buffalo. If you don't want it, it's not going to smash your door down and force its way onto you.

"Or, they have a system in place to provide themselves with internet."

If they have that system in place... THEN THEY AREN'T AVOIDING THE INTERNET OR LIVING SOMEWHERE WHERE IT'S NOT AVAILABLE, NOW ARE THEY?

:rolleyes:

I admin it wasn't the best thought out. But I think you are talking it out of context, as it was meant as a question. And I was hoping someone could enlighten me.
I forgot that macrumors is overrun with people trying to belittle one another

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
google really doesnt know what to do with its money.

it sometimes feels like google is run by teenage geeks and advertisers.

it probably is. they have absolutely no style whatsoever

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.