Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stratman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Tampa, Florida
I have recently purchased a 2tb Time Machine and at least twice a month it drops ready and displays a flashing amber light. I'm still able to use the wireless connection but backups stop until I reboot by unplugging the machine and plugging it back in again. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bill

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I have recently purchased a 2tb Time Machine and at least twice a month it drops ready and displays a flashing amber light. I'm still able to use the wireless connection but backups stop until I reboot by unplugging the machine and plugging it back in again. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bill

Do you mean Time Machine, or Time Capsule?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Thanks!

Bill

That flashing amber light usually means you have lost your Internet connection. It may be that your Internet connection has in fact dropped, and there is nothing wrong with your Time Capsule device.

Apple has a troubleshooting page here that might help you.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Thanks!

Bill

Please ensure the latest firmware is on it. The 7.7.2 firmware was released to correct an issue with loss of WAN connectivity, and the 7.7.3 firmware was for security purposes. Try updating if not done already!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.