Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Eagle

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
Apple should have just replaced the "Missed" panel with a "Dashboard" or "Wdigets" panel. A dedicated widgets panel would have made more sense.

There are going to be way too many widgets lined up one after another. It's going to be too busy.

I totally agree with this. They definitely need to separate notification messages away from these widgets. For the most part I can't see a reason why they would need to exist together. A separate Widget area would have been better and maybe we will get that eventually. At the very least you should be able to "stack" all the widgets together and then "messages".

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
I like my Hue lamps, but I don't like the software. Philips need to hire a new team of people to do the user interface. Is has been a lost cause for too long. I no longer believe time will fix it. The problem seems to be Philips themselves think their software is great.

So true, but it's not just the software, it's also the firmware. The Hue lamps aren't smart. They require the iPhone for all smarts. This is different from say WeMo, which are different products, but the point remains. With WeMo, the firmware is smart enough to control the devices without the iPhone. The iPhone becomes a remote, not the controller. So WeMo can do things like perform functions based on rules, sunrise/sunset, IFTTT, etc...

If Hue had smart firmware, it would do things like alter the color through the day based on sunrise, sunset and weather information. It would do things like detect registered Bluetooth devices or WiFi MAC IDs and turn on when one is in range.

xtwentyseven

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Dallas, TX
Holy awesome batman. I really can't wait for Homekit to be fully up and running. Can't wait to tell Siri I'm going to bed, then bam: Doors locked, garage door closed, alarm set and my hue lights shut off inside house.
Do you leave your garage door open until you go to bed?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am more excited for the wall switches that are coming. I love the app for when I go to bed or am sitting on the couch. When I leave in the morning it would be way easier to use the wall switch :)

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Do you leave your garage door open until you go to bed?

Nah, but there are times where I forgot to close it and the next morning was thankful my tools were still there and no one walked in the house and...you get the point.

Kind of along the lines, did I need hue lights or nest thermostats, no, but I think it's cool that I do.

----------

I am more excited for the wall switches that are coming. I love the app for when I go to bed or am sitting on the couch. When I leave in the morning it would be way easier to use the wall switch :)

I think they should offer the actual form factor of a real light switch with multiple buttons and a regular override to work as a normal switch. Not really looking forward to a round disc sticking off the wall. Guess it will be nice to mount by night stand, but otherwise they need a smart switch.

xtwentyseven

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Dallas, TX
Nah, but there are times where I forgot to close it and the next morning was thankful my tools were still there and no one walked in the house and...you get the point.

Kind of along the lines, did I need hue lights or nest thermostats, no, but I think it's cool that I do.

---------
I have FrontPoint security and have a setting that texts me if the garage door stays open for a specified length of time. I would hate to wake up wondering if someone took something from my garage.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Holy awesome batman. I really can't wait for Homekit to be fully up and running. Can't wait to tell Siri I'm going to bed, then bam: Doors locked, garage door closed, alarm set and my hue lights shut off inside house.

Can't wait to invite a girl to my home and tell Siri "I'm going to bed". Then BAM: hue lights fill the room with a shade of red, audio system plays relaxing music and the doors get locked :D

Last edited:

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007

Already have a hardware switch. In the Netherlands there's a device called Homewizard that can work with the cheap RF-controlled lightswitches from DIY stores. It also talks to the Hue, so now I can use a simple hardware remote with 4 buttons to select 4 different scenes etc. As they also do tiny transmitters that fit behind traditional wall switches, I can now switch on my Hue lights with a normal switch. And of course with all the rules etc. that the Homewizard can do, such as respond to sensors for doors opening, sun setting, doorbells ringing etc.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
As a Hue owner, The app was ugly until they did an iOS7 update to it. Now it is fine. For those saying it doesn't work, I disagree. It works pretty flawlessly for me.

I will tell you what my issues are (and I have used it at friends' places).

Philips Hue is focused on creating lighting moods. Some folks no doubt love Hue for the same reason.

As for me, I just want the product to provide smart features. I want to see all the Hue lights in the house and selectively turn on/turn off/or dim on the room I desire. While Hue allows this sort of action, the UI is not designed with these usage in mind, making it confusing and unpleasant.

Ideally, I would like to see a blueprint of my house (and Hue app can provide many templates), and click on each room to execute desired outcome.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
So true, but it's not just the software, it's also the firmware. The Hue lamps aren't smart. They require the iPhone for all smarts. This is different from say WeMo, which are different products, but the point remains. With WeMo, the firmware is smart enough to control the devices without the iPhone. The iPhone becomes a remote, not the controller. So WeMo can do things like perform functions based on rules, sunrise/sunset, IFTTT, etc...

If Hue had smart firmware, it would do things like alter the color through the day based on sunrise, sunset and weather information. It would do things like detect registered Bluetooth devices or WiFi MAC IDs and turn on when one is in range.

Hue has supported IFTT for months.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I will tell you what my issues are (and I have used it at friends' places).

Philips Hue is focused on creating lighting moods. Some folks no doubt love Hue for the same reason.

As for me, I just want the product to provide smart features. I want to see all the Hue lights in the house and selectively turn on/turn off/or dim on the room I desire. While Hue allows this sort of action, the UI is not designed with these usage in mind, making it confusing and unpleasant.

Ideally, I would like to see a blueprint of my house (and Hue app can provide many templates), and click on each room to execute desired outcome.

Could not agree more. The hue app is terrible for controlling individual lights. I just want to see all of my light, easily group them, and easily individually control them. Android has much better 3rd party apps.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This would be most useful to me. So far, I have one room with hue and if I want to adjust the lights outside of my timers, I have to navigate all the way to the app. Not a problem really, but this would be more handy.

Same situation with me. I am looking forward to this. And then beyond this with homekit when I will be able to control all sorts of things all from a central place instead of going to multiple apps.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought widgets weren't something you could interact with? I thought it was "here's some information from an app; slide it and it'll open the app for you"

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
The caption from Phillips spelled "Center" incorrectly. "Notification Center" is a proper noun.

I just hope this doesn't mean that the Hue system is being developed in some "other" country where they don't spell "center" or "color" correctly or have annoying forum members who always seem to post early on my favorite Mac Rumors website...

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012
The caption from Phillips spelled "Center" incorrectly. "Notification Center" is a proper noun.

I just hope this doesn't mean that the Hue system is being developed in some "other" country where they don't spell "center" or "color" correctly or have annoying forum members who always seem to post early on my favorite Mac Rumors website...

I can't tell if this is serious or sarcasm.

It's terrible either way.

obitow

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Berlin, Germany
Apple should have just replaced the "Missed" panel with a "Dashboard" or "Wdigets" panel. A dedicated widgets panel would have made more sense.

There are going to be way too many widgets lined up one after another. It's going to be too busy.

I totally agree with this. They definitely need to separate notification messages away from these widgets. For the most part I can't see a reason why they would need to exist together. A separate Widget area would have been better and maybe we will get that eventually. At the very least you should be able to "stack" all the widgets together and then "messages".

Notificantion Center has 2 panels: Today and Notifications.

In the first one are the widgets. But you have full control of what will show there (you can even hide system widgets, like weather and stocks).

In the second one are all notifications, in a separate section from the widgets.

ScottyTheMenace

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2013
This is officially the laziest generation in the history of the planet.

Wait til someone gets their networked lamp hacked and someone steals their tax returns off their computer over their home wifi network.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
This is officially the laziest generation in the history of the planet.

Wait til someone gets their networked lamp hacked and someone steals their tax returns off their computer over their home wifi network.

You're not kidding. Loved "WALL-E" for having a go at humanity's self-destructive dive towards a dependence on all things technological, and the irony that Pixar produced it is icing on the cake. :)

Attachments

• 372-post.jpg
    372-post.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.