Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I suspect most people shocked by the $1k price of this fan have never had to buy an actual Big Ass Fan.

Has anyone ever "had" to buy such a fan?

How smart does a fan need to be? We've got a couple of Minka fans in our house and they work great--when I want the fan, I turn it on, when I don't, I turn it off.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Out of curiosity, does it make any difference to you to note that the smart version is only $150 more than the dumb Haiku fan? It's not expensive because it's smart... It's expensive because it's a luxury fan.

Still too rich For many people, I suspect, however.

That's the price of intelligence these days? And people can't afford that either. I turn on the TV and... turn it off...:D:rolleyes:;):(

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
nice looking fan but an insane price. anyone know of similar looking and somewhat smaller?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
cool idea. but with that price tag there targeting a VERY niche market

Agreed. These fans are not targeted at your average consumer. And if they are constructed with premium materials and as solidly as some of the more premium Casablanca fans, these prices aren't that much outa line, especially considering their added onboard electronics. A lengthy warranty period would help sales greatly, imho.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I have a Big Ass Fan Haiku. Not the smart version of course. But the fan is really, really good. The best fan I have ever had.

It runs on DC current. So it converts the ac in your home to dc and is very energy efficient. Zero wobbles which I have never had a fan that has no wobble whatsoever even on high.

I took a while to justify the cost. Again, even for the non-smart version. But because of where I live and the heat we get, ceiling fans are a must. And I am glad I got one. I will be putting their more industrial fan called the ISIS in my garage wen I build it. Actually two. It will be a very, very large garage with very high ceilings for my car lift.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm a HUGE ass fan, but nobody's promoting MY products around the web for free. What gives?

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
People that haven't actually experienced the Big Ass Fan can't really comprehend the effect. A local car dealer has a row of 5 of these in the service drive, and powerful doesn't really begin to describe it.. It feels like an ocean breeze, an incredible amount of air is being moved. It's a difference not of degree, but a difference of kind.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Smart fan $1000
Dumb fan around $30

My wife was in the market for a bedroom fan, and the cheapest she found that suited her taste was $800. So, this is not much more expensive. I don't know where you found a ceiling fan for $30. Perhaps in Wal-Mart? Well, if you shop in Wal-Mart, what are you doing posting in a Mac forum? Most people who own Macs despise cheap crap like $30 ceiling fans made in China. When it disintegrates and cuts your ear off, you will regret preferring it to quality products.

Last edited:

grabbyg

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
Just pre-ordered mine

60" Cocoa Haiku Bamboo - Qty: 1
Black Motor - Standard Mount

Can't wait!

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

Agreed. These fans are not targeted at your average consumer.

I've always associated this company with industrial equipment. You wouldn't typically expect one of their fans in your living room, but you could see it in the airport, train station, mall, restaurant, warehouse, ...

First time I saw one was at a cruise ship port somewhere in the Caribbean.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
My wife was in the market for a bedroom fan, and the cheapest she found that suited her taste was $800. So, this is not much more expensive. I don't know where you found a ceiling fan for $30. Perhaps in Wal-Mart? Well, if you shop in Wal-Mart, what are you doing posting in a Mac forum? Most people who own Macs despise cheap crap like $30 ceiling fans made in China. When it disintegrates and cuts your ear off, you will regret preferring it to quality products.

Really?

It was a bit a joke to be honest. If you clicked on the the link you'd have found that it is was a stand up fan.

If you want some other options to dismiss because of price, take a look at the B&Q website (uk) http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/lighti...JQAAAY6eO-a6:20140606083314:s&noCookies=false

As for cheap chinese crap, all electical products sold in Europe have to be certified (CE Mark) and fit for purpose. I doubt any of these will disintegrate unless installed incorrectly.

As for the 'Well, if you shop in Wal-Mart, what are you doing posting in a Mac forum?' - I don't shop in Walmart, as they don't exist in that format in the UK - they did buy ASDA which is similar to their US stores, but I tend not to shop there either - not because of the price - mainly because its too far and we've got a Tesco, Aldi and Lidl closer.

Choice is good, if you choose to dismiss a retailer because of your status/class then you're not the sort of person I would want to deal or work with.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Choice is good, if you choose to dismiss a retailer because of your status/class then you're not the sort of person I would want to deal or work with.

Just a side point. What if a person dismisses a retailer because of ITS status or class?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The people with the snarky comments about these guys adopting Apple's pricing aren't even anywhere near the mark!

This is a ceiling fan, people..... It's a very simple machine with a motor and a variable resistor to control the motor speed inside. Sure -- they're adding a new circuit board and a bit of technology so it can become "smart" and interface with an iOS device. But even in a world of 100%+ price markup, that still doesn't justify more than an additional -75 or so.

I really do like the concept. I had ceiling fans installed in all of the bedrooms at my old house and will likely do the same again with our new one. But the *main* justification for doing so is energy/cost savings. (You can run them in reverse in the winter to keep warm air circulating efficiently too, so it doesn't all just rise to the ceiling as it comes out of your heating ducts.)

Hardly any way to imagine a ceiling fan (plus installation costs) will pay for itself in energy savings!

Bold: Erm, no, it would need a big ass resistor as well to do this.;)

Seems to me you know nothing about electronics, yes you could use a resistor but all the energy which is not consumed by the fan will go to the resistor, for it to stay cool it needs to be huge or active cooling.
Nowadays it's done much easier without using much power.

Still, electronics are cheap, for controlling the speed of the fan it's probably not more than a few dollars.
The smart tech adds another $10 at most.
If this fan was made in huge quantities it could sell under $100!

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL

How smart does a fan need to be? We've got a couple of Minka fans in our house and they work great--when I want the fan, I turn it on, when I don't, I turn it off.

I'm speaking of an actual Big Ass Fan, here. Not something for your house. They're 24 feet in diameter, and cost more than $10k.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I'm speaking of an actual Big Ass Fan, here. Not something for your house. They're 24 feet in diameter, and cost more than $10k.

Yeah, these fans are designed a little differently from your regular ceiling fan. They are huge, and thus they can spin at slower RPMs and still stir up a lot of air movement. Good for creating a gentle air movement in a very large room like a warehouse or restaurant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.