Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suzannebradbury

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Staffs, UK
Hi all,

Had my macbook pro just a couple of weeks now (I am a convert and very very happy to have switched!!).

I am a hobby photographer and used to have lightroom 5 (only just forked out for it on windows in fact) so I'm looking to reduce my expense on Aperture.

Ive been looking at video's etc and to be honest the interface and workflow look to me a little simpler and I am liking the look of it.

My question is, I really only used the basic stuff to edit my raw photo's and probably didn't use lightroom to its fullest potential but one feature I did like was to darken the blacks if you know what I mean... is there a similar sort of feature in aperture? (i.e. photo of a singer in a band well lit with dark background - I want to achieve a nice black background)

Also, I have found there's an old copy of photoshop cs2 on adobe website... does this work ok with the latest osx software? Again, I didn't do all that much on photoshop but was handy for certain things I was trying to do.

Also, I'm seeing conflicting reports about apples support of aperture... some say they haven't and are not likely to be updating it and others who say that one is likely to be coming... confused about this? I don't mind forking out again for it but I also don't want it to be an unsupported program etc or should I just for out and buy lightroom again???

As you can see, I'm far from being a professional photographer but I do know quite a lot of the basics and am pretty good with learning software etc so I'm not worried about that. Hope someone can help.Thank you!!

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Hi all,

Had my macbook pro just a couple of weeks now (I am a convert and very very happy to have switched!!).

I am a hobby photographer and used to have lightroom 5 (only just forked out for it on windows in fact) so I'm looking to reduce my expense on Aperture.

Also, I have found there's an old copy of photoshop cs2 on adobe website... does this work ok with the latest osx software? Again, I didn't do all that much on photoshop but was handy for certain things I was trying to do.

If you can transfer the licence from the PC why not continue to use LR? Based on the lack of an update for Aperture it might be worth doing this whilst you wait for one to appear.

As for CS2 - it won't work as it was complied for the old PowerPC processors and will no longer run on newer versions of the Mac OS (during the transition from PowerPC to Intel processors there was a tool called Rosetta that allowed it work).

I can't help with the Aperture workflow questions as I've never really liked it - so didn't buy it.

Suzannebradbury

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Staffs, UK
thanks for this re cs2! never mind! I can deal with not having it.

I'm sure I read somewhere that I couldn't use the licence to transfer it as its a different piece of software .... can anyone confirm this???

if i can obviously i will stay with light room!! (I already did use my licence on 2 windows machines)

BobertKennedy

macrumors member
May 3, 2014
Lightroom uses the same license for both PC and Mac so it might be worth uninstalling it on the PC and trying it with the same code on the Mac.

Wrong. The dual-platform licensing only applies to Lightroom 5, Adobe CC products, and above.

You can still purchase (I mean RENT) Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC for $10/month at https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/photoshop+lightroom?promoid=KIPKZ.

IMHO I would avoid Aperture. I don't trust that Apple will support backward compatibility in future versions - specifically when it comes to Aperture Libraries. Lightroom 5, overall, offers more powerful tools for editing/touchup, better 3rd party plugin support.

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Uninstall LR5 on your PC, then install LR5 on your Mac. It should work - unless your license is somehow 'special'.

Also... LR and Aperture are more about the organizational abilities than the editing. Instead of using PS you can tie a free or very inexpensive editor into LR as the editing application. Easy to do.

Luck.

Suzannebradbury

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Staffs, UK
conflicting thoughts?

OK so conflicting ideas re the licence code

I'm just going to download it now and I'll let you know what happens with my serial number!!

I am not hopeful it will work but I'll give customer services a call and promise not to use my other copy (on a now non used pc)

Just don't want to have the expense again really and aperture was a slight benefit being cheaper...

watch this space....

----------

Ok so I downloaded from the adobe website again....

used my original serial number (which Ive already used on 2 pc's!)

all seems ok so far - all opened and in working order!

why didn't I just try that in the first place????!

Thanks all

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
This is an interesting time in photography.

Adobe has an excellent product in Lightroom 5. They will likely announce or release LR 6 at their event on June 18. Don't know what will be new in LR6.

Apple has an excellent product in Aperture. Apple has always pointed to 3rd party plugins for more advanced features. Personally I greatly prefer the user interface in Aperture. But as you have seen/heard, Apple is changing its two main software platforms Mac OS and IOS. With these changes they are also changing their photography solution. It seems as if the new Photos app will replace iPhoto. We will see and hear more as folks load the Yosemite and IOS 8 beta releases. What is not clear is what Apple will do for an advanced photography app. I hope we hear about it this fall, even it we will not seen it until early next year.

In the meantime, I continue to use both Aperture and LR via a shared referenced library of masters. I will likely upgrade to LR 6. I will also watch for the new Aperture. Then I can decide if I go for one or the other, or continue with both. I think Apple just may end up pleasantly surprising us all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.