Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I think I figured out how they came up with the name 'Beats'
He picked her up by her hair and "began slamming her head and the right side of her body repeatedly against a brick wall near the stairway" as his bodyguard held off the crowd with a gun. After Dre tried to throw her down the stairs and failed, he began kicking her in the ribs and hands. She escaped and ran into the women's rest room. Dre followed her and "grabbed her from behind by the hair again and proceeded to punch her in the back of the head."[\QUOTE]

Dre is a savage. And I'm quite interested in seeing how he's going to be able to work with civilized people.

Sorry about the quote not showing right. I'm on my phone and MR has a mobile interface that makes even a high school developer cringe.

You know every time a Beats MR article pops up, someone eventually mentions Dre's violence against women. So I was curious and looked it up. I thought this was recent history, like the last 3-5 years or something. But this was 23 years ago..... Holy crap, do people ever get a chance to change for the better? Or will they forever be defined by their past? Is Mandela defined by his violent past or his reformed life? Is Steve Jobs defined as a deadbeat dad or for his achievements?

Last edited:

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I hate to be that guy but can we really expect constant beats on MR now? :confused:

Sorry to burst your Game Center bubble but Beats news is now Apple news since they are the same company.

----------

So at what point will it be not cool to stick an "i" in front of everything?

Seriously it's getting tiring apple
iPhone iPad iBook
iBoring

Only been the most successful naming strategy in the history of electronics over the past 15 years.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I hate to be that guy but can we really expect constant beats on MR now? :confused:

I'm so glad that the focus is no longer on Android/Samsung. Some of us here actually use products outside of Apple. So let the Beats bashing continue. Beats are overrated and expensive which Android is not.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
He picked her up by her hair and "began slamming her head and the right side of her body repeatedly against a brick wall near the stairway" as his bodyguard held off the crowd with a gun. After Dre tried to throw her down the stairs and failed, he began kicking her in the ribs and hands. She escaped and ran into the women's rest room. Dre followed her and "grabbed her from behind by the hair again and proceeded to punch her in the back of the head."[\QUOTE]

Dre is a savage. And I'm quite interested in seeing how he's going to be able to work with civilized people.

Sorry about the quote not showing right. I'm on my phone and MR has a mobile interface that makes even a high school developer cringe.

That's not the only thing showing not showing right.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Looking at all the descriptions covered, I wonder if Apple is interested in also producing and recording music using the Beats name as a record label. Maybe that was a consideration in buying Beats all along too?

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I'm so glad that the focus is no longer on Android/Samsung. Some of us here actually use products outside of Apple. So let the Beats bashing continue. Beats are overrated and expensive which Android is not.
No. It's a lot of other things.

Good analogy, linking hardware to software. /s

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
So at what point will it be not cool to stick an "i" in front of everything?

Seriously it's getting tiring apple
iPhone iPad iBook
iBoring

Yeah. Throw away the must valuable brand on the planet because a few short attention span types are 'bored'.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
You know every time a Beats MR article pops up, someone eventually mentions Dre's violence against women. So I was curious and looked it up. I thought this was recent history, like the last 3-5 years or something. But this was 23 years ago..... Holy crap, do people ever get a chance to change for the better? Or will they forever be defined by their past? Is Mandela defined by his violent past or his reformed life? Is Steve Jobs defined as a deadbeat dad or for his achievements?

Well said.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
iBeat:
black-eye-punch-slap-bruise-beat-up.jpg

JobsGang

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013

Lmao@savage.How did this "savage"run a record label for the last 18years and make over 200 million dollars?

Dam I wish I was a savage.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Hmm, just wondering, what makes you believe those would be crappy too?

I'm not sure but from the past, htc partnered with Beats at the time and bundled urBeats/ iBeats headphones with every HTC Sensation.

It wasn't a great headphone because it's free, so what do you expect? Definitely on par with Apple's stock earbud (with the beats had more bass and less clarity, typical). If it's crappy to you, then iBeats was too.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
2010mini said:
this was 23 years ago..... Holy crap, do people ever get a chance to change for the better? Or will they forever be defined by their past?

Did he ever apologize for his misogynist lyrics or violence against women? If so, can someone post a link to this? I can't find any references to him doing so. It seems unlikely he's changed for the better if he hasn't apologized publicly.

It's not like a public figure who just coincidentally in his private life was disrespectful or violent towards women. You could maybe argue that it's irrelevant to delve into his personal life. But he wrote about it in songs that sold millions, and apparently was actually violent in real life. So if that's how your public persona is, if you're a changed person I would think you'd want to make amends and let your fans know that it's not an appropriate way to behave. If he's done so then kudos to him. If not, then he should be called on to do so.

That said, I think it's inappropriate for people to call him "savage" or saying he isn't "civilized." That sounds borderline racist to me, and I see another thread on here was closed due to racist comments. If it wasn't intended that way, people should rethink the words they're using.

These are pretty heavy topics for the news threads... It's too bad these issues are taking away from what was one of the best WWDC's ever.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Beats has had a trademark on the term "iBeats" for several years, and has produced iBeats in-ear headphones in collaboration with Monster, but recently, the company filed a new application to expand the iBeats trademark to include new music-related uses.

Initially covering only audio video equipment such as headphones, clothing, music performances, and various advertising methods, the trademark has now been expanded to also encompass areas such as broadcasting, social networking, digital music downloads, and streaming music.Beats Electronics filed the new application on April 25, likely at a time when it was in talks with Apple over an acquisition. It is unknown why Beats has expanded its iBeats trademark, but it is possible that the company has plans for new products and services under the name.

Apple officially announced its $3 billion purchase of Beats Electronics on May 28, and the deal is expected to be finalized during the fourth fiscal quarter. The acquisition includes both the Beats hardware business, which encompasses its lineup of headphones, and the Beats Music streaming service.

Article Link: Beats Expands 'iBeats' Trademark to Cover Digital Music Downloads, Streaming Music

Which one gets marketed to hipsters? ITunes or iBeats?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Did he ever apologize for his misogynist lyrics or violence against women? If so, can someone post a link to this? I can't find any references to him doing so. It seems unlikely he's changed for the better if he hasn't apologized publicly. I

It's not like a public figure who just coincidentally in his private life was disrespectful or violent towards women. You could maybe argue that it's irrelevant to delve into his personal life. But he wrote about it in songs that sold millions, and apparently was actually violent in real life. So if that's how your public persona is, if you're a changed person I would think you'd want to make amends and let your fans know that it's not an appropriate way to behave. If he's done so then kudos to him. If not, then he should be called on to do so.

That said, I think it's inappropriate for people to call him "savage" or saying he isn't "civilized." That sounds borderline racist to me, and I see another thread on here was closed due to racist comments. If it wasn't intended that way, people should rethink the words they're using.

These are pretty heavy topics for the news threads... It's too bad these issues are taking away from what was one of the best WWDC's ever.

Apologize for lyrics in songs?? OMG if that is a criteria, then the entire entertainment industry needs to do the same. Do you know how many movies, tv shows, books, plays have been misogynistic to women thought history??

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
I'm not sure but from the past, htc partnered with Beats at the time and bundled urBeats/ iBeats headphones with every HTC Sensation.

It wasn't a great headphone because it's free, so what do you expect? Definitely on par with Apple's stock earbud (with the beats had more bass and less clarity, typical). If it's crappy to you, then iBeats was too.

Oh really? Okay then I might reconsider it lol, thanks!

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
But this was 23 years ago..... Holy crap, do people ever get a chance to change for the better? Or will they forever be defined by their past? Is Mandela defined by his violent past or his reformed life? Is Steve Jobs defined as a deadbeat dad or for his achievements?

Things don't become magically irrelevant by being in the past. Not serious stuff anyway. They become less relivant by being addressed by deed or words. Steve Jobs was a deadbeat dad til the day he died unless he did something (beyond what was legally imposed) to address that behaviour. He was also lots of other things since people are people and not just simple stereotypes.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Things don't become magically irrelevant by being in the past. Not serious stuff anyway. They become less relivant by being addressed by deed or words. Steve Jobs was a deadbeat dad til the day he died unless he did something (beyond what was legally imposed) to address that behaviour. He was also lots of other things since people are people and not just simple stereotypes.

No they do not. But can you point to other instances of violence to women after that incidence? I haven't found others in my search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.