Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
I have a very strange problem. It's been going on for a while now and I've only just realised whats happening.

Recently I've been getting spam email spookily about things I've recently said in text and iMessages. At first I thought it was coincidence and as you tend to follow up text messages with a face to face conversation afterwards it seemed even more weird that actual spoken words were then being picked up and I was then being spammed by email about these conversations. In reality I just forgot about the text message I sent previously.

Anyhoo to cut a long story short I recently sent a very specific message to someone containing a sequence of words that is not very common and today (about 3 days later) I get an email pertaining to that specific comment. So it finally clicked in my head and I checked through my recently sent messages and cross referenced it with my spam folder to find a worryingly accurate spam to text message relationship.

I mention sun lounger in a text. I get emails about sunscreen and skin care.
I mention sun glasses I get 'restore my vision' and laser surgery stuff.
I mention Thailand I get emails about holidays and certain 'other' things about Thailand.

It does this for both SMS and iMessages. Other than changing passwords again what can I do?

Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
I would restore phone, not from backup and change all passwords.

Im working on a new password now. My current one is very complex so how its happening Im not sure. Could it be a dodgy app on iOS? Im not jailbroken and never have so everything on it is from Apple basically. :confused:

Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
Just to update people on this even though no one else seems to be affected by this whatsoever, even my phone company didn't believe to start with...

Its gradually got a bit worse. I send a text (or iMessage) to someone, I then more often than not get EMAIL spam relating directly to the content of my text messages.

The other day I sent a VIDEO via text message to a friend. It was showing my computer screen, the desktop image is of Melissa Clarke (female model) guess who i'm now getting EMAIL spam from? How the hell does that even work?!

A text message containing a video of a picture on a screen and I get email spam about it!!!!

No malware on my system, complete factory reinstall on my phone, changed ALL my passwords and its still happens.

I have no idea how its being done, neither does my phone provider. Im now on serious lockdown and this will be my last post.

Be warned, spammers seem to be getting VERY sophisticated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.