Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
And here is the front, as we have seen:

28u5jsn.jpg

H.Finch

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2013
I'm sorry but those bands/lines on the back look ugly as ****. I think the iPhone 5 managed to make these much more esthetically pleasing...

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
the circular LED flash light still confuses me.

But after seeing what iOS 8 is capable of and what developers can do with it, I'm super excited to get back to iPhone!

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
The design of iOS 8 and the hardware of iPhone seems to be getting uglier. I think Jony has lost his touch. Those breaks on the back make the iPhone look cheap.

Do you guys really think that the thickness of those breaks is an aesthetic choice?

There must be a technical reason behind their thickness. Maybe they act as a shock absorbent and will sensibly reduce the chances of breaking the screen when dropping it on the corners?

Aleh

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
the circular LED flash light still confuses me.

Why do people always get confused by the circular cutout for the flash? Every time they post a leaked image we get this kind of comments...
It's getting tiring, do you really think they wouldn't be able to put a dual flash in a circular hole instead of a pill shaped one?

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
California
Most people have cases on their phones and never really see the back of them so who cares if it has those separators

Dear Jesus, please don't let those breaks be real. I wanna be sad to put a case on, for the beauty of the thing, not feel like it's necessary to cover it up.

Those breaks coupled with the fact that it's likely to have an inferior resolution to many of the Android phones coming out these days, makes for a less than exhilarating launch.

Yeah, I'm still getting one, cuz Android software annoys me. Just saying...

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I love how thin it looks and I like the curved edges. Always disliked the hash sharp edges of the iPhone 4 and 5 series.

However it looks kind of ugly with those huge antenna breaks - this isn't the level of elegance and refinement you expect from an Apple product.

I doubt Steve would have approved. Hopefully it's just a pre-production part to throw off competitors.

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
Really, really, ugly.

Such a lame design, and those thick antenna breaks ugh. Guess I'll be keeping my 4S for another 2 years until iPhone 7 comes out :(

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
If you look at the part where the battery goes you can see that it will be substantially bigger!

Bigger Battery = Better Battery Life!!!

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
That's not the power button that moved, it's the new placement for the secondary lightning connector and home button combination! /s

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I don't understand why the antennae breaks are visible as a unique material on the outside but the inside looks like solid metal.

Imaginator

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
The Cosmos
Disappointed
Relevant.

On a serious note, that thing looks sexy as hell. I'll take the 5.5" in 128GB black/gray/slate/whatever. Thanks.

----------

I'm sorry but those bands/lines on the back look ugly as ****. I think the iPhone 5 managed to make these much more esthetically pleasing...

They said that about the 4. And people got used to it. I still don't understand how people are so reactive to design aesthetic. You're going to put an ugly-ass case on it anyway, what does it matter?

yablochnik

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2013
This may be a lighting problem, or the part didn't yet receive all the necessary polishing, but this shade of gold looks quite horrendous compared to the current one on 5s.

Maybe it's just me, who knows.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
The design of iOS 8 and the hardware of iPhone seems to be getting uglier. I think Jony has lost his touch.

I don't think Jony had anything to do with this design - they probably gave the job to the interns.

Jony's spending his time designing the next generation of revolutionary devices, such as the iWatch. Phones are pretty boring for him.

----------

I don't understand why the antennae breaks are visible as a unique material on the outside but the inside looks like solid metal.

The antenna is integrated into the part.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I don't think the antenna breaks will be that thick. Also the lines aren't even in the picture, this is probably an early prototype or a dummy for case makers.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
I love how thin it looks and I like the curved edges. Always disliked the hash sharp edges of the iPhone 4 and 5 series.

However it looks kind of ugly with those huge antenna breaks - this isn't the level of elegance and refinement you expect from an Apple product.

I doubt Steve would have approved. Hopefully it's just a pre-production part to throw off competitors.

"This isn't the level of elegance and refinement you expect from an Apple product."

I feel like I've heard those words before... Oh right, I hear them every time images are leaked of a new iPhone. Yes, including the 4.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Those antenna breaks look so awful... Like the clean cut on 5/5S. But seriously..... Apple spends so much money on R&D. Why can't they figure out how to get rid of those? -.-

Simoleon547

macrumors member
May 25, 2014
I honestly have moved from eager leak-seeker to feeling sorry for Apple. We basically know what the whole iPhone looks like 3 months before launch. It's like someone spoiling your surprise birthday gift for a friend.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
my body is ready.

my mophie is 2 years old now only boosts my 5S like 20% no point in buying a new one....waiting for that 6!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.