Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
Anyone know when the new iCloud pricing goes into effect besides 'later this year'? I would guess at iOS 8's arrival, but I hope sooner...

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I'm happy about Apple's cloud storage. Not because I'll use it for a second, but because maybe it'll make Dropbox and Skydrive lower their prices.

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
How is that any quicker or easier than just tapping the icon and opening the app?
Widgets are there to provide "glanceability" and to let you check things quickly
without having to open a bunch of apps or clicking away on the screen.

Right, right. And how many, and of what type of, gestures does it take to access a widget, hmm?
In my way, the answer is: ONE.

Simoleon547

macrumors member
May 25, 2014
I just thought I should say to everyone wishing they had it on their iOS devices because they think the features are so cool: the bugs aren't really worth satisfying your curiosity. My iPad Air crashes an average of once every 10-15 minutes. There are certain things I have to avoid, like closing apps, 50% crash rate on that action. It's a lot more stable on my iPhone 5, but still crashes regularly.
I expect by beta 3 it will be almost acceptably stable.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Right, right. And how many, and of what type of, gestures does it take to access a widget, hmm?
In my way, the answer is: ONE.

I still can't see the benefit of "tap and hold to see a glimpse of the app" vs "tap and see the whole app". Maybe I'm not getting something here, but it just doesn't make any sense to me.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
Maybe on a 5s, but on my android phone I can fit lots of widgets and resize them. Here is one of my home screens, I can see my Gvoice messages, calendar and OneNote notes, still have access to Google search and have a shortcut to directly dial my wife even. This is with the stock UI, you can even use Nova Launcher to make elements smaller and fit MORE on screen. Keep in mind that these widgets I can scroll up and down to see more information. I'm not a hardcore Android guy, I even dislike it in many respects and prefer iOS in some. But IMO widgets trounces anything iOS has for quick accessibility.

can you put the widgets on the lock screen in android? that, in my opinion, is where they belong - if you want to quickly access some information - wake up the screen - glance and boom - you're done.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
can you put the widgets on the lock screen in android? that, in my opinion, is where they belong - if you want to quickly access some information - wake up the screen - glance and boom - you're done.

You can put one widget on the lockscreen, but there are many lockscreen widget programs available on the app market so yes you can do it but with aftermarket apps. I agree that it's much better to have them on the lockscreen and Android not offering this is now a negative since Apple has it.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
You can put one widget on the lockscreen, but there are many lockscreen widget programs available on the app market so yes you can do it but with aftermarket apps. I agree that it's much better to have them on the lockscreen and Android not offering this is now a negative since Apple has it.

How many of those work with a password/PIN/pattern security enabled?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.