Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nksilver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2014
Hey all,

so I've currently got a non-jb'n 3gs running 5.0.1, on bb 05.16.05.
Model: MC132C & SN is 87942XX so i think that means its a new bootrom

From what i read in the past, this wasn't easy to JB. it required the ipad bb and i'd lose the gps and possible cell radio?

I've read that i'd get the best performance out of my 3gs if i updated to the latest ios
So i was planning to update and JB then unlock.
-http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f852/iphone-3gs-6-1-6-untethered-jailbreak-unlock-susesfull-1782349/It seems like ppl are having diff results JBing 6.1.6, but not many ppl are posting their bb with their results.. hell i don't even know what the bb will be when i update, but i feel like mine will be one of the ones it doesn't work on. :(

So my question is:
whats my best course of action?
DL a ipsw and restore (this'll preserve my bb right? will this increase my chances of success/suses? or update through itunes?
or would it be better to restore with an ipsw of 6.1.3 instead?

also would a simple back up with itunes be enuf to get me back to this point(5.0.1) if things go wrong?

any advice would be much appreciated :)

i know the device is old, but my s3 broke and this is my only backup :(. i'd like to keep it as an unlocked backup for situations like this - this thing seems indestructable! lived through >3 years of abuse.. s3 broke twice in a year

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
You are confusing jailbreaking and unlocking.
Both are different, separate and independent.

If this is a resale 3GS, use TinyUmbrella to see if the former owner saved any SHSH. If there are any saved SHSH, other firmware installs may be possible.

http://blog.firmwareumbrella.com

You can jailbreak your iPhone 3GS on it's current firmware, then use Redsn0w to flash the iPad baseband, then downgrade back to 5.13.xx, install Ultrasn0w to unlock for any sim.

nksilver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2014
I see, but wouldn't I still lose gps if I took that route?
And again going back to the upgrade, from what I've read ultrasnow doesn't unlock 6.1.6, or at least there were mixed results posted at that link I included. Many ppl were claiming they were stuck at a screen with the apple logo

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
i think the serial number means 87942XX the 42nd week of 2009. If that is true, then that means your 3gs is safe to flash to the ipad baseband and then downgrade to 5.13.04

once you downgrade to the 5.13.04 baseband, your GPS and everything else will be perfectly functional

what affects whether ultrasn0w works or not is the baseband version (modem firmware in settings), not the iOS version

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
the i reason i doubt ultrasnow is because of these postings
http://unlock.ultrasnow.eu/untethered-ios-6-1-6-jailbreak-redsn0w-p0sixspwn-tools/
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/03/jailbreak-ios-6-1-6-redsn0w-p0sixspwn.html

also, at ios 6.1.3 or 6.1.6, i wouldn't need to switch bbs, would i?

as dhlizard already stated, jailbreaking and unlocking is completely different. they are not the same

jailbreaking does not mean you will be able to unlock

i'm not sure if i'm understanding your question correctly or not but at the moment, there is no tool that supports making a custom firmware on iOS 6.1.6 that will allow you to preserve baseband. As a result, you cannot use ultrasn0w to unlock the iphone

one thing you could try is to restore to iOS 6.1.6, upgrade to the ipad baseband using redsn0w and then try downgrading to the 5.13.04 baseband. This may or may not be successful (if it’s not successful, you need to downgrade to iOS 4.1 to do the baseband downgrade)

shortened version: you need your baseband to be 5.13.04 in order to use ultrasn0w to unlock your 3GS

nksilver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2014
ahhh ok, its making sense now.

so then what i should do is use the latest redsnow to upgrade to the ipad bb and then downgrade to 5.13.04. After that i can restore to 6.1.3 (since i can update to that while preserving bb but not to 6.1.6) and then use ultrasnow to unlock (no point in unlocking before right? i'd lose the unlock anyway?) ?

is that correct?

and to get to 6.1.3 do i just dl an ipsw from say http://www.icj.me/ios and use itunes to restore? or redsnow to restore?

i wouldn't need shsh blobs would i? ( i got this phone brand new several years ago so its never been jb'n )
but i should create shsh blobs somehow before i update so that i can get back to 5.0.1 and 5.13.04 incase stuff goes wrong, right?

Thats what i've gathered so far, please someone correct me if i'm wrong, or feel free to provide any advice please

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
ahhh ok, its making sense now.

so then what i should do is use the latest redsnow to upgrade to the ipad bb and then downgrade to 5.13.04. After that i can restore to 6.1.3 (since i can update to that while preserving bb but not to 6.1.6) and then use ultrasnow to unlock (no point in unlocking before right? i'd lose the unlock anyway?) ?

is that correct?

and to get to 6.1.3 do i just dl an ipsw from say http://www.icj.me/ios and use itunes to restore? or redsnow to restore?

i wouldn't need shsh blobs would i? ( i got this phone brand new several years ago so its never been jb'n )
but i should create shsh blobs somehow before i update so that i can get back to 5.0.1 and 5.13.04 incase stuff goes wrong, right?

Thats what i've gathered so far, please someone correct me if i'm wrong, or feel free to provide any advice please

you would still need 6.1.3 shsh blobs to restore to iOS 6.1.3

and yes, use ifaith to dump your iOS 5.0.1 blobs before you update so you can always go back to that firmware version if anything happens! (make sure to keep the .ifaith file in a safe location locally)

if iOS 6.1.6 is your only option, you will need to restore to that version first and then do the upgrading/downgrading baseband on that version

nksilver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2014
so this should work for me right? http://www.jailbreakqa.com/question...uestions?page=1&focusedAnswerId=153674#153674

i've already created pre-signed ipsw's using both ifaith and redsnow as backups

so i can just go ahead and restore normally through itunes to 6.1.6, and then follow their steps.
the only thing i'm unsure about is skipping part 5 and most of part 6 due to the new posixspwn because it skips over dling ultrasnow... would i just use ultrasnow afterwards then?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
so this should work for me right? http://www.jailbreakqa.com/question...uestions?page=1&focusedAnswerId=153674#153674

i've already created pre-signed ipsw's using both ifaith and redsnow as backups

so i can just go ahead and restore normally through itunes to 6.1.6, and then follow their steps.
the only thing i'm unsure about is skipping part 5 and most of part 6 due to the new posixspwn because it skips over dling ultrasnow... would i just use ultrasnow afterwards then?

yes

restore to 6.1.6 with the custom firmware built by ifaith (put your device into pwned DFU mode using ifaith and hold shift + click restore in itunes and select the custom firmware)

then use redsn0w to upgrade to the ipad baseband

and then use redsn0w to downgrade the baseband

make sure to check that your BB is 5.13.04 after the downgrade

once that occurs, jailbreak using p0sixspwn or redsn0w

if you jailbroke with p0sixspwn, just install ultrasn0w and you should be good to go

if you jailbroke with redsn0w, download "p0sixspwn" from cydia to untether your device. after the reboot, install ultrasn0w and you should be good to go

nksilver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2014
wait.. restore to 6.1.6 with custom firmware created by ifaith? what good would that do? since the custom ipsw would have to be made using the stock 6.1.6 ipsw and the apple signed blobs.. wouldn't it?

won't this do the same thing as just pressing restore in itunes and letting it restore to the latest software?
or is there another way to make the custom firmware in ifaith?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
wait.. restore to 6.1.6 with custom firmware created by ifaith? what good would that do? since the custom ipsw would have to be made using the stock 6.1.6 ipsw and the apple signed blobs.. wouldn't it?

won't this do the same thing as just pressing restore in itunes and letting it restore to the latest software?
or is there another way to make the custom firmware in ifaith?

Oops, my bad, forgot 6.1.6 is being signed. You're right, it'll do the same as just a normal restore

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
if you jailbroke with p0sixspwn, just install ultrasn0w and you should be good to go

if you jailbroke with redsn0w, download "p0sixspwn" from cydia to untether your device. after the reboot, install ultrasn0w and you should be good to go
You can't jailbreak 6.1.6 with p0sixspwn tool directly, so it will probably be your second option I think: jailbreaking tethered with redsn0w and afterwards downloading the p0sixspwn package from Cydia to have 6.1.6 untethered. :)

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
^oh, thanks! looks like that was something else i missed

in that case, you will have to jailbreak tethered with redsn0w and install the "p0sixspwn" package in cydia to untether your phone

nksilver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2014
I thought u could with p0sixspwn 1.08 (released yesterday) ?

anyway i just used redsnow since i needed to do the bb changes, and then got p0sixspwn from cydia, then ultrasnow. everything went well! :)

saved myself the $100 most sites are charging to unlock my 5 year old 3gs :(

Thanks for all the help darricksailo :D it was much appreciated!

now i guess i should make a new custom ipsw with the new bb

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I thought u could with p0sixspwn 1.08 (released yesterday) ?

anyway i just used redsnow since i needed to do the bb changes, and then got p0sixspwn from cydia, then ultrasnow. everything went well! :)

saved myself the $100 most sites are charging to unlock my 5 year old 3gs :(

Thanks for all the help darricksailo :D it was much appreciated!

now i guess i should make a new custom ipsw with the new bb

hmm, you're right! Guess they didn't update the website when I checked (I do remember a tweet from ih8sn0w that he updated the standalone but i didn't pay too much attention to it in mind)

okay, that's great!

Statous

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
Quick question can my jailbreak 3GS be updates to iOS 6 or 7?

----------

And how to.. I would like you to email me the info.. I may not find back this page.. Statouus_tatous@yahoo.com

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Quick question can my jailbreak 3GS be updates to iOS 6 or 7?

----------

And how to.. I would like you to email me the info.. I may not find back this page.. Statouus_tatous@yahoo.com

You would need complete blobs to update to iOS 6.x

The only version of iOS 7 you can restore to at the moment is 7.1.1 and there's an unofficial tethered jailbreak for that on reddit

Statous

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
Is that all there is to it? Because I don't really get the updating thing...oh what's blobs and tethered?.... Also what I get from previous posts is that you should unjailbreak ur device update it then jailbreak it again.... Would u please provide step by step information on how to... Would really help

Statous

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
Another question: here goes can a phone be re-jailbreak after u have taken the jailbreak off it to be updated

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Is that all there is to it? Because I don't really get the updating thing...oh what's blobs and tethered?.... Also what I get from previous posts is that you should unjailbreak ur device update it then jailbreak it again.... Would u please provide step by step information on how to... Would really help

There are literally hundreds of accurate, existing tutorials for "any" modification you could imagine performing to a 3GS device. Google is a great search engine.

NOTHING will replace the requirement that you do some reading and research before trying modifications on your 3GS, that is how we all started.

Those who try to shortcut that, opting to be "spoonfed", generally end up having to begin their next post with the word "help".

If you get stuck on a particular part, we can provide specific assistance.

----------

Another question: here goes can a phone be re-jailbreak after u have taken the jailbreak off it to be updated

Yes, assuming a jailbreak exists for the firmware version being installed.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

oops, forgotten that the 3GS can only be updated to 6.1.6

well, in that case, if all you need is a jailbroken 3GS on the latest version
1. restore to iOS 6.1.6 (plug into itunes and click restore)
2. download p0sixspwn 1.0.8 and jailbreak the 3GS: http://p0sixspwn.com/
3. you now have a jailbroken 3GS

research about the blobs: you can dump the blobs for the firmware you're currently on using ifaith. this will allow you to downgrade back to that firmware should you choose so

you should also grab your 6.1.6 blobs right now using either tinyumbrella. ifaith, or redsn0w should apple release a .7 update which is highly unlikely

a tethered jailbreak, it's a bit hard to explain concisely so do a quick google research about it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.