Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I have a mid 2013 MacBook Air and just bought an AirPort Extreme today to replace a 2009 time capsule. The MBA does not seem to be connecting in "ac" mode. See attached screenshot showing b/g/n.

Anything specific I'm supposed to do to make the fastest mode work? I assume it would show up in Airport Utility as "ac" if it were working but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have a mid 2013 MacBook Air and just bought an AirPort Extreme today to replace a 2009 time capsule. The MBA does not seem to be connecting in "ac" mode. See attached screenshot showing b/g/n.

Anything specific I'm supposed to do to make the fastest mode work? I assume it would show up in Airport Utility as "ac" if it were working but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks in advance. View attachment 475718

Try creating a separated 5 GHz network and connecting the Air to that...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That looks like an iPhone screenshot, and the iPhone does not have AC yet, so it won't show up there.

On your Macbook Air hold the option key then click the wifi radar thingy in the menu bar and it will show if you are connected via AC wifi.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
That looks like an iPhone screenshot, and the iPhone does not have AC yet, so it won't show up there.

On your Macbook Air hold the option key then click the wifi radar thingy in the menu bar and it will show if you are connected via AC wifi.

It was a screenshot taken from my iphone of my MacBook airs connection to the AirPort Extreme, using the airport utility app.

----------

Try creating a separated 5 GHz network and connecting the Air to that...

That did it. Thanks. Does ac only work on 5ghz networks?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It was a screenshot taken from my iphone of my MacBook airs connection to the AirPort Extreme, using the airport utility app.

----------

That did it. Thanks. Does ac only work on 5ghz networks?

Yes. However the AirPort should have auto-chosen AC with the network sharing the same name between 2.4 and 5.0 GHz.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Yes. However the AirPort should have auto-chosen AC with the network sharing the same name between 2.4 and 5.0 GHz.

In theory yes. In practice I've had to set up the separate name and remove the 2.4 network in order to ensure I always connect at AC speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.