Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telequest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
NJ
Is there any chance this card, or something like it soon, could work in a 2010 or 2012 Mac Pro? I recall reading many posts on the general subject of adding Thunderbolt to a PCIe Mac Pro, and the consensus seemed to be that no options were likely ... but HP is doing it now with their Xeon-based workstations.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...w/thunderbolt-2-speeds-your-hp-system-much-4x

I'm guessing the first step would be to make it work in a MP running Windows 7 or 8 ... and that it would be a bigger hurdle to make it work under Mac OS, probably involving no drivers being available ... and who would have the incentive to write them?

If a Windows-only solution, nice, but of limited interest to me.

telequest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
NJ
Ok, ya got me. Care to elaborate? I didn't realize that a Thunderbolt PCIe card even existed. If it can work in a HP tower in a PCIe slot running Windows, why not in a MP tower running Windows?

OK, CASLondon says it's the motherboard. Fine. Never mind.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
LoL!

The motherboard has to have the capability, its not about drivers. Nevah Gonna Happen, the great dream is dead.

The card has an extra 5 pin connector that goes somewhere. The cheese grater probably doesn't have that "somewhere" to connect it.

It also has to be plugged into the PCIe slot meant for it - only one slot in the Z-series will accept the card.

Prince134

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
LoL!

The motherboard has to have the capability, its not about drivers. Nevah Gonna Happen, the great dream is dead.

The motherboard doesn't have the capability. So there comes the card.
You have to elaborate more to support your point.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London

No I don't. It is discussed in every one of those links Flowrider posted. I'm not making a legal argument, I'm stating a fact. Thunderbolt capability has to be present in the chipset/logic board, even for these aftermarket cards.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada

the motherboards in those HP computers were specifically designed to allow this thunderbolt add-on card with the proper chips built into them, any other motherboards including mac pro's do not have the capability to support this card. Asus has done a similar add-on thunderbolt card, but again it will only ever work in motherboards that were designed to use it.

telequest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
NJ

Did my best with the forum's search function and it didn't provide any of those threads. Apologies for bringing it up again. I hadn't seen HP's PCIe card until it showed up in a B&H ad that I just received today, so thought it might be something new.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
As others have noted the HP Thunderbolt card is for HP workstations and requires a connection to the motherboard GPIO connector; this is not a standard connector on generic motherboards, and certainly not present on Mac Pro computers with PCIe slots.

Same can be said for the ASUS Thunderbolt card; only works with certain ASUS motherboards.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
The chipset needs to be able to support it (and reallocating PCIe lanes to thunderbolt probably).

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Not ever going to happen. As many brands/kinds of Thunderbolt cards could be released and none of them are going to work with the cMP.

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
There is a robust ecosystem of Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt2 devices, including storage, displays, and media devices that will greatly aid the videographer, graphic designer, or digital archivist

Robust ecosystem of... displays ? :mad::rolleyes: I wouldn't call 2 displays "robust"...

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Help me Lou to understand a couple of things please

Thank you Lou for the references.
It has been always clear to me that Thunderbolt could not be implemented in a oMP since the logic board has not such a feature.

1) Since the logic board of any oMP is not intended for USB3 either, I do not quite understand why ANY USB3 PCIe card could offer that speed :confused:
Still many people refer to different USB3 cards supposed to deliver it.
How???

2) AFAIK the logic board of any oMP is built with SATA 2 and therefore the 4 internal HD cannot deliver SATA 3 speed even if the drives themselves could!
So how can people say that using in a oMP a special PCIe card with SSD mounted on it...gives them SATA3???
:confused:

Thanks in advance for helping me understand those 2 matters. :)
Regards
Ed

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Thank you Lou for the references.
It has been always clear to me that Thunderbolt could not be implemented in a oMP since the logic board has not such a feature.

1) Since the logic board of any oMP is not intended for USB3 either, I do not quite understand why ANY USB3 PCIe card could offer that speed :confused:
Still many people refer to different USB3 cards supposed to deliver it.
How???

2) AFAIK the logic board of any oMP is built with SATA 2 and therefore the 4 internal HD cannot deliver SATA 3 speed even if the drives themselves could!
So how can people say that using in a oMP a special PCIe card with SSD mounted on it...gives them SATA3???
:confused:

Thanks in advance for helping me understand those 2 matters. :)
Regards
Ed

1.) Thunderbolt requires that routing the Display output through it as well.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-technology-developer.html
Therefore you cannot retro fit Thunderbolt.

USB has no such requirement simply need a USB3 controller. You buy a USB3 PCI-Express Card, that has a USB3 controller and interfaces on it. Only the ports on the USB3 card are USB3. The USB2 on the Mac Pro boards are still USB2.

2.) Same as with USB3 card. I have two Sonnet Tempo Pro SSD Cards mounted in my oMP. These cards are SATA3 controllers and the SATA interfaces on those are SATA3. The Onboard SATA controllers on the Mac Pro board are still SATA2.

The built in sleds slot onto SATA2 ports however if instead you run a cable from a HDD to a SATA3 Controller Card then the HDD in the sleds will be SATA3 as the HDD now connected to a SATA3 Card.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
1.) Thunderbolt requires that routing the Display output through it as well.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-technology-developer.html
Therefore you cannot retro fit Thunderbolt.

USB has no such requirement simply need a USB3 controller. You buy a USB3 PCI-Express Card, that has a USB3 controller and interfaces on it. Only the ports on the USB3 card are USB3. The USB2 on the Mac Pro boards are still USB2.

2.) Same as with USB3 card. I have two Sonnet Tempo Pro SSD Cards mounted in my oMP. These cards are SATA3 controllers and the SATA interfaces on those are SATA3. The Onboard SATA controllers on the Mac Pro board are still SATA2.

The built in sleds slot onto SATA2 ports however if instead you run a cable from a HDD to a SATA3 Controller Card then the HDD in the sleds will be SATA3 as the HDD now connected to a SATA3 Card.

Does this imply that you can add USB3 support and SATA3 ports to any computer not having it in a native way?
For instance insert a PC Card in any older notebook with a PC Card slot and get USB3 speed or SATA3 connections? :confused:

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Does this imply that you can add USB3 support and SATA3 ports to any computer not having it in a native way?
For instance insert a PC Card in any older notebook with a PC Card slot and get USB3 speed or SATA3 connections? :confused:

I don't think that you would find that PCCard spec would necessarily provide the bandwidth, when adding a PCI-E card into a Mac Pro then even if is PCI-E x1 then has 500MBs available. The PCCard spec was based on PCI 32bit slot which may not provide enough speed into the rest of the system making it pointless.

You would have USB3 speed but only as far as the card itself.

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
Has anybody actually examined the card to see if there is a Thunderbolt Host Controller on board? I wouldn't be surprised if it has everything on board and only uses the 5 pin connector to perform a handshake to verify that the motherboard is actually from a HP Z workstation. We might be able to hack it.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Yes, it has Falcon Ridge, Thunderbolt 2 controller on the card.

There also is a video-input so the video signal from separate video controller can be integrated into the Thunderbolt output.

Prince134

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
Yes, it has Falcon Ridge, Thunderbolt 2 controller on the card.

There also is a video-input so the video signal from separate video controller can be integrated into the Thunderbolt output.

What if a PC thunderbolt card with link speed but without display function?
Not everyone think display on TB is necessary (as you have dp already), but link speed might attract to some?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
T-Bolt Link speed isn't that great

What if a PC thunderbolt card with link speed but without display function?
Not everyone think display on TB is necessary (as you have dp already), but link speed might attract to some?

If I need to connect external disks to a system, for $349 I can get a PCIe card with two 24 Gbps SAS connectors.

For about double that price there are 40 Gbps Ethernet cards available.

For high performance PCIe SSDs - just plug them into the PCIe slot in the system!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Once again, TB, the answer to a question that nobody asked.

Yes, there could be a TB card to do the data part in about 30 seconds if Intel and Apple wanted to make life easy.

But they don't. They prefer "profitable" and so they have placed a bunch of completely unnecessary limitations on TB that make it far less attractive.

As Aiden has pointed out there are faster interfaces.

Check out this question just sent to me by a past customer:

"You sold me a GTX 470 in 2011. It has worked well, but I just upgraded to a new Mac Pro (late 2013, black cylinder) and have the card in a Sonnet Echo Express Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, with the card powered by an EVGA 600 external power supply, and it's not working. Here's what happens:

-- When the GTX 470 is in the enclosure, the machine won't boot up... it just hangs on the white screen
-- But if I take the card out of the enclosure, leaving just my Blackmagic card in, that works fine
-- I updated to the latest Cuda Driver for Mac.
-- Cuda-Z will not detect any Cuda device
-- If I plug in the Thunderbolt enclosure after startup, it all seems to power up fine, but with the GTX inside, no PCI cards are detected by System Profiler (without it in there, any other card shows up fine.

Any idea what's going on and/or if there's any work around I should try? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer."

So, another pointless exclusion to sell stuff, GPU artificially excluded in OSX to sell stuff. Looks like my customer followed logic which said he could slap his GTX470 into an enclosure and use CUDA. Would make perfect sense that this would work. A few grand later and I have to tell him the CUDA party is over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.