Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucasG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Is it correct that you can upgrade the 27" RAM manually? I was thinking on ordering a 27" refurbed with the following specs:

Originally released September 2013
27-inch
8GB memory
1TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M

But I just want to be able to upgrade RAM later on. And maybe even swapping the 1TB HDD for an SSD.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Is it correct that you can upgrade the 27" RAM manually? I was thinking on ordering a 27" refurbed with the following specs:

27-inch
8GB memory
1TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M

But I just want to be able to upgrade RAM later on. And maybe even swapping the 1TB HDD for an SSD.

The hard drive is very hard to replace in the new iMacs. It will void the warranty, and unless you are very comfortable with messing around with your computer, I would not recommend doing it. I would recommend getting the 2012 model: 27 inch/i7 processor/1 TB Fusion/ gtx 680mx. It will perform much better than the model you are looking at, and have a fusion drive to boot for only 1950$ instead of 1700$. The computer is exactly the same externally, and it is a much better computer internally. Can't recommend it enough.

Matt

LucasG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Sounds like a good idea, the only downside is I was hoping to get that 1gbps wireless for the iMac too, but I guess I could live with a cable :p

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Sounds like a good idea, the only downside is I was hoping to get that 1gbps wireless for the iMac too, but I guess I could live with a cable :p

Yeah, I mean the 450 Mbit on the 2012 iMac is still pretty hard to cap out, but I'm sure the ac standard for the 2013 model will have better connectivity. I just think the hardware itself is worth more than the 250$ price difference. Wired connection is always the best option if you are going for speed.

Matt

LucasG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Pretty much just do lots of file exchange between iMac and MacBook Pro, usually music/video files. But nothing THAT heavy though.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

27-inch
8GB memory
1TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M

The RAM is easy to add and I'd do it sooner than later.

The disk is not so easy because you have to remove the 27" LCD and the glass cover and then you have the drive temperature sensor that you have to handle too. The best way to upgrade the drive is with Thunderbolt to an external enclosure

LucasG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I saw a video that you have to you use some type of suction cups, take it out, remove the plastic, then take off the screen and then do a couple of things inside, but yes it does look complicated. I might try and go for that 27" 2012 model and later add more RAM. I'll probably just cede on the ac wireless, but it should work out much better I guess! :D

mmm2009

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2008
A plus or two

27-inch
8GB memory
1TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M

A plus to buying it from Apple online refurb
Comes with a one year warranty
Can Buy additional 2 years of Apple care warranty
But if you replace the hard drive the hard drive will not be covered by warranty buy my the manufacturer of the drive.
I think if you add the it might need a be installed by a authorized service provider.

Just a thought

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.