Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:15 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Lack of Maps Updates in iOS 8 Said to Be Caused by 'Internal Politics', Developers Leaving

Leading up to last week's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, various reports suggested that Apple would be significantly improving its Maps application in iOS 8, enhancing the underlying infrastructure that powers the application and adding public transit directions from acquired mapping companies HopStop and Embark.

However, while last week's keynote included a lot of new information about iOS 8, Apple's software chief Craig Federighi mentioned no improvements to Maps aside from enhanced vector-based mapping maps in China.

Now, a report from TechCrunch sheds new light as to why iOS 8 does not feature significant improvements to Maps, with an inside source noting that "many developers left the company," as map improvements for iOS 8 were not finished in time. The source added that tasks were "very badly planned", with developers having to jump from "project to project".

The report also gives an account from another source at Apple:
Quote:
It's a take that is both contested and corroborated by our other source. "I would say that planning, project management and internal politics issues were a much more significant contributor to the failure to complete projects than developers leaving the group," the source said.
Apple originally introduced its Maps app in iOS 6 as it looked to move away from Google Maps. However, Apple's Maps drew a significant amount of criticism over inaccuracies in mapping data, errors in locating points of interest, a lack of transit information, and bizarre 3D mapping. Apple CEO Tim Cook even issued a public apology to iOS owners over the ordeal, stating the company was "extremely sorry" for the frustration it had caused and promised "non-stop" work to fix the app.

Article Link: Lack of Maps Updates in iOS 8 Said to Be Caused by 'Internal Politics', Developers Leaving
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:16 AM   #2
aelalfy
macrumors 6502a

Some might say

"They are having a hard time finding the right direction"

Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:18 AM   #3
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

I have always suspected internal issues at apple, but I wonder how bad is it. Apple is short on staff and that is leading to obvious stress.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:19 AM   #4
markiv810
macrumors regular

Firing Scott Forstall was not an intelligent move by Apple, Apple should have had more patience wrt to iOS development.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:21 AM   #5
apfelmann
macrumors regular

Ping, Maps, Beats

No one needs these things from APPLE!!!!

Leave it to the experts, and focus on what APPLE is good at!
Bring us a new hardware more often!
apfelmann is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:22 AM   #6
polterbyte
macrumors regular

This is bound to hurt Apple's plans to remove itself from Google's grasp, at least until the situation is mitigated.

And even if real consequences are minimal (and I'm not saying they will be), Apple detractors will have a field day (week? month? eon?) with this.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:22 AM   #7
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv810 View Post
Firing Scott Forstall was not an intelligent move by Apple, Apple should have had more patience wrt to iOS development.

It was likely still the lesser of two evils.
Abazigal is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:23 AM   #8
addiecool
macrumors newbie

With due respect, Apple has made a bad choice to move to its own maps without having it ready. Its still not ready and will take another few years "if they find the right direction".
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:24 AM   #9
maflynn

Apple's track record for Maps is extremely poor and is very un-apple like. At this stage, they would be better off killing the project and going with another company (other then google since they don't want that).
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:25 AM   #10
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I thought it was Forstall who was responsible for the Maps debacle in the first place. It's hard to know what the absence of Forstall really has meant to Apple.

He took the fall for Maps because he was ultimately responsible for it supposedly not being ready and then wouldn't acknowledge its shortcomings. From that perspective Apple hasn't skipped a beat since Forstall left.
ValSalva is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:28 AM   #11
teejaysplace
macrumors member

There are very few times I think it's fair to say that the company uniquely misses Steve Jobs, but every once in a while they need someone to walk into a room and go, "Then why the **** doesn't it do that?"
teejaysplace is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:31 AM   #12
sadesh
macrumors newbie

OMG. Apple is doomed all because of maps fiasco.

The 1 to 7 split is not adjusted until the market opens. Google having their own fun.
sadesh is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:33 AM   #13
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

What a joke. Absolute joke. "Working non-stop to fix this" it appears this hasn't happened. Everyone knows other mapping services are superior in *most* aspects to Apple maps. Why Apple can't just swallow its damn pride and use other companies' services is beyond me.

Its the elephant in the room. I hope they completely overhaul and massively improve by iOS 9, or be done with it, and move to another provider.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:33 AM   #14
yodaxl7
macrumors 6502a

Apple map works fine for me. Actually, it is better than google maps in my specific area, Valdosta, ga. I have used it many times going to florida and Atlanta. Apple map does not have local transit but it will come probably ios 8.2. I am not in hurry for that. Map is the lowest priority. It is not like google map is not on iOS anyways or other transit apps. People are so picky!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:34 AM   #15
Codestud
macrumors member

Strategically, I can't help feeling that Apple should get closer to Microsoft - yes Microsoft - and pool its resources with both Maps and Search. This might be the only way to defeat the increasingly evil behemoth that is Google.
Codestud is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:34 AM   #16
markiv810
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
I thought it was Forstall who was responsible for the Maps debacle in the first place. It's hard to know what the absence of Forstall really has meant to Apple.

He took the fall for Maps because he was ultimately responsible for it supposedly not being ready and then wouldn't acknowledge its shortcomings. From that perspective Apple hasn't skipped a beat since Forstall left.
Yes Forstall was responsible but firing the software guy for "Thinking Different" was not the answer, Forstall should have been given time and resources to rectify his mistake, Rom was not built in a day. In my opinion Forstall should have stayed and improvised on Apple Maps, Apple cannot/should not depend on Google for Maps, Google might pull the maps app nay day as iOS is in competition with Android. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:35 AM   #17
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Apple's track record for Maps is extremely poor and is very un-apple like. At this stage, they would be better off killing the project and going with another company (other then google since they don't want that).
This.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:36 AM   #18
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I don't think it's that poor. It's just that Google Maps is so good The level of detail and accuracy Google has around the world is almost impossible to catch up to. But honestly, when you compare Apple Maps to alternatives such as Bing, Nokia Here, TomTom, Garmin or MapQuest maps, you'll see that Apple Maps is not worse than all of those. So buying another company doesn't really solve anything, unless you buy Google.
TC03 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:37 AM   #19
Jambalaya
macrumors 6502a

Another voice to chime in about what a disaster Maps has been. I had to walk 45 mins extra as Apple Maps sent me to the wrong street. It's never got any better, the data is just wrong. The decision to remove GoogleMaps in favour of what was clearly a non-functional product I will not forget. GoogleMaps are back and long may it continue.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:37 AM   #20
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

They could work with Nokia, and using their map exclusively.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:38 AM   #21
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

Saw a google maps car in my city again last week or week before. They've already mapped it but are still out doing it again and again. Don't see any apple cars or any other company. Google have it down. They own mapping. Apple if it wants to be number 1 needs to do what google is doing ie throw some money at the problem. Complaining about developers leaving when you have so much money makes you look incompetent and lost.
Zxxv is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:39 AM   #22
sofila
macrumors regular

I'm late. Wanted to be in before "Apple maps working fine for me in my zone" comments
sofila is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:39 AM   #23
FrankieTDouglas
macrumors 65816

Wait... people still use Apple Maps?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:40 AM   #24
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieTDouglas View Post
Wait... people still use Apple Maps?
I use it for turn-by-turn. Works flawlessly with clean UI. I like it.
TC03 is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 05:40 AM   #25
Fzang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Google might pull the maps app nay day as iOS is in competition with Android. Just my 2 cents.
Can they even do that? Distribute multi-platform free software and create a huge reliance on it, and then platform lock it.
Fzang is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion