Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
As I said in an earlier post, I am fairly happy with the Maps app although I really want the public transit feature. Having said that, I am more than willing to wait a little extra (as long as we are not talking years) to make sure it is done right from day one. No one wants another debacle like the one when the app was first released.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
It's just too bad Apple split from Google on this product - Apple is using resources trying to re-invent something that is already done quite well with Google Maps.

The built in maps at the time did not have turn-by-turn directions and Google was requiring more private customer info as part of the deal to get turn-by-turn.

I applaud Apple for not giving in to the advertising company. I get turn-by-turn native to my device and don't have to give away my privacy. The data set will take time to fill in just as it took Google many years (and it's still not perfect either).

----------

To me the big difference between the two (since both now work in my area) are Streetview and that 3D mode.
At no point, other than flying low over a city is 3D mode going to be useful to me. Streetview on the other hand has been useful on a few occasions already. That's exactly it; seems that Apple is trying to reinvent maps when it's not necessary. Unless you're a helicopter pilot.

Speak for yourself. Flyover has been amazingly useful in my home search. WAY better than Streetview. It's also far less clunky to operate. I find Flyover to be a delight even vs Streetview or Google's "3D" overhead view on a desktop using even use Chrome. There's a very stark contrast in ease of use.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
It feels like someone is making a concerted effort today to bash Apple Maps.

But articles like this one throw gallons of water on that dim ember.

Apple Maps is already pretty darn good in my opinion.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Where's that tired phrase "competition means the consumer wins?" Seems almost appropriate for a change in these Apple vs Google maps gripe-fests.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
You people are taking this way too seriously. How many times have we heard "reports" or "inside knowledge" of Apple whether it's products or politics and have just flat out ended up wrong.

I understand this is macRUMORS, but a lot of you people act like the girl who killed herself because some fear monger was talking about how CERN could possible make black holes that would destroy the earth. A lot of you seem to be throwing yourself on your swords just on a rumor or a debate or mismanagement in Apple. If you've EVER been in a corporation, you know it can happen.

And PLEASE stop saying "This wouldn't have happened under Steve Jobs", because it sure did!

Here're your reasons/

1. The majority of marumors readers are either high school kids or people who can't do logical thinking or can't read the whole post before posting their uninformed opinions.

2. The other majority here are either apple haters or android fans who can't wait to validate their platform and who would make anything apple related a big deal.

3. Very few macrumors readers are mature and don't care about pointless arguments.

prizm

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Apple maps is still woefully inadequate. Living in New York City it would be pretty obvious that if you say, searched for something on 35th Street in Manhattan while standing on, say, 7th St in Manhattan you'd get a Manhattan address. More times than not the map flies to some address in the middle of nowhere. Somewhere in Pennsylvania. Sometimes even out of the country.

Touching hyperlinks for an address in programs like Yelp will sometimes take you out of the state and beyond. Again to other countries. It's really, really sloppy.

Also...Why no subway colored lines on maps? Is that so hard? It's not like they build a new subway line every week. Or decade, for that matter.

And lastly when you're riding a train it's nice to see where the tracks go on the map so you can track your progress. Which works if you're completely zoomed in on your location. If you start to pull back for a wider look at the map the train tracks disappear. It's madness. Google maps doesn't behave this way.

Lots of issues. Kind of a pain in the butt. Step it up Apple, it's high time.

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
A company with $120 billion in cash (errr... $117 billion after buying Beats?) can't afford to hire some additional programmers so they have to pull and reassign people from one project to another and suffer delays for features that should have been all done "yesterday"?

I mean I get that it takes time to find good people but given the resources available, they should be able to grow the team just a bit so they can tackle more ground.

$1 billion toward additional programmers would let them probably double their staff with equal or higher talent and then they can roll things out much faster across many products/services.

Nine women can't make a baby in one month.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
So sad to see how rapidly Apple's coming apart at the seems without Jobs' leadership. Nothing but big egos pissing around marking territory left and right while product founders.

Meanwhile, Cook is making TV ads begging for the world's forgiveness for Apple's success and hoping they'll love him because of his use of green power.

----------

So sad to see how rapidly Apple's coming apart at the seams without Jobs' leadership. Nothing but big egos pissing around marking territory left and right while product founders.

Meanwhile, Cook is making TV ads begging for the world's forgiveness for Apple's success and hoping they'll love him because of his use of green power.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I hope they add it. I'm tired of Notification Centre telling me how long it would take me to drive to work or drive home when I DON'T OWN A CAR OR DRIVE!

A nice thing in iOS 8 is that you are now able to customise the Today view in notification centre with content from apps.

So for example, transit apps would instead be able to tell you if your train home is delayed, or how long it'll take you to cycle, or whatever.

----------

So sad to see how rapidly Apple's coming apart at the seems without Jobs' leadership. Nothing but big egos pissing around marking territory left and right while product founders.

Yes, Tim needs to stop being the nice guy and grab the bull by the horns. The firings must continue until the product improves.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

----------

So sad to see how a poster who couldn't run Apple or has inside info criticizes
a successful company.

Unless, you forgot the sarcasm face.

Here it is :rolleyes:

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Nine women can't make a baby in one month.

If Apple has to "borrow" developers from one project to finish another, then put them back to finish the first one, then I think its logical that if they had a full staff for both projects, they would both be done on time instead.

You can't say that taking iOS developers away from iOS and to work on Mac OS X has no negative impact on the timeline of iOS development. Clearly, those developers are missed and features get heavily delayed. Something that wouldn't happen if both teams had a full staff.

In fact, if both had a full staff, then Mavericks would've been a more major update (which it wasn't because developers from there had to be "borrowed" to work on iOS, and iOS would this year not have features fall through the crack due to "borrowing" to work on Mac OS.

In fact, it looks like if they just gave the order to HR to make sure there's enough developers for all their endeavors Apple would be 2+ years ahead, which would be great for their competitive advantage.

Updates going forward would be consistent, more polished, and cover more ground.

I have my own business and I know how product development and teams work. My organization, as well as many others, is hampered by the cost of expansion (limited office space, equipment, etc. would mean big investments needed that we don't have the cash flow for -- something a giant stockpile of cash clearly solves) as well as the fact that top management must oversee many things because I cant afford to hire 6 figure or higher managers to take my place on existing tasks.

Apple has no resource problem. They are sitting on $117 billion (or more) in CASH, while their development teams are suffering delays, working overtime, and having to borrow staff from each other at the expense of features and release days that get pushed back.

Its illogical.

I am not saying they should balloon and double or triple in size to where they can't control quality anymore (cant have too many new people or else assimilation into the culture is tough), but surely hiring enough developers so that the iOS and Mac OS teams are fully staffed, FULL TIME, would really help things out.

I figure an organization can add 10% to 20% more staff in short order without suffering in its culture if they have strong leadership.

Last edited:

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
To me the big difference between the two (since both now work in my area) are Streetview and that 3D mode.
At no point, other than flying low over a city is 3D mode going to be useful to me. Streetview on the other hand has been useful on a few occasions already. That's exactly it; seems that Apple is trying to reinvent maps when it's not necessary. Unless you're a helicopter pilot.

I find both useful. And I'm not a helicopter pilot.

Streetview for richness and detail - such as when I was house hunting I checked out a lot of surrounding areas to see what was there. It's time consuming, but quicker than going there and walking or driving around for an initial check.

Flyover is much handier for for more regular use. If I'm going somewhere new I can get the feel for a place much quicker. I always liked Birdseye view in Bing Maps and Flyover seems to be a better version of that. The 3D nature helps me find my bearings quicker than regular flat maps. Not to mention it's easy on the eye.

Apple maps also helped give Google the competition they needed to drastically improve Google Maps on iOS - their standalone app is leaps and bounds better than the built in version was - Android Google Maps was really pulling away and now it's much closer.

I personally never use Google Maps any more (except very occasionally on the desktop). My primary need for maps is as a Sat Nav for directions in the car and when walking to new places in unfamiliar cities (such as to a meeting) and both do a good job on iOS. But I prefer the look and feel of Apple Maps and I prefer the Siri integration which is great when driving.

Apple Maps is still lacking POI but to be honest I mostly use other apps -Around Me, Trip Advisor etc. for things like that. So for me, I'm glad Apple branched out. It's definitely made mapping more useful on iOS. And Google didn't get the user data that they wanted for ad reasons.

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
It's a developers's conference

It's a developer's conference. We don't need to see each and ever new iOS 8 feature there.

1. It could be pulled waiting for product release in the fall as an exciting surprise.
  2. it also has the potential to piss a 3rd party transit app developer off. Not exactly nice to hear at the conference the app you've been developing is now useless.

Maybe it's not ready and will come later, but maybe it is and we'll see it with the GM in the fall. It's not the launch.

Did developers need new APIs for it, likely not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.