Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I wonder why it's landscape only- I guess that would be easier for developers needing to make sure their apps fit, and I guess the keyboard would block the other app completely... Still if not for those things, having 2 apps stacked on top of each other could work fine in some situations (say Pages on top and Safari on the bottom, since Word Processors and Web pages are expected to scroll vertically anyway).

slash7844

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
I'm just picking a nit so take this with a grain of salt. The commenter never implied Android was the first, just that Android has had it for a while. Big difference.

But seriously, who cares who had it first?

I'm sure a lot of people here at MR cares who was first. Just go read any threads related to sapphire glass and fingerprint scanner. And I thought someone declared thermonuclear war for copying.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
But seriously, who cares who had it first?

You clearly have not had the joy of reading all the posts people make on this site moaning about Samsung and others who apparently have entire teams waiting to copy whatever it is that Apple is rumoured to be up to.

Yet when the case is reversed, they are the same people going on about how it is not important who did it first and try to belittle any who dare to mention that someone had been doing something successfully before Apple.

Last edited:

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Why does everyone assume it (and maps) are getting pushed????
What are product launch keynotes for unless you include those new features????

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
If they would simply put a Picture-In-Picture option, that'd be great. Whatever app or video source you're watching can play uninterrupted while you work, in a little floating window you can move around and resize.

...this split-window implementation is a gobbledy mess.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wouldn't be too shocked if Apple withheld this from the iOS 8 preview b/c it's going to be an iPad Air 2/iMac mini Retina 2 exclusive... not because the earlier models aren't buff enough but just because it makes a great selling point when you have not much else different for the new models other than Touch ID and under the hood stuff most people don't understand.

You could be right. But maybe they held it so they would have something to demo at the iPad event. Last years event was pretty 'meh' because all Schiller did was read off a list of specs. Would make sense to leave certain features for the iPhone and iPad events.

J.L.Photography

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
South Florida
This is what drives me crazy about these misleading "features"...

The only way there could be anything "productive" about this is if you can actually use more than just 4 apps to do split screening in!!!!!!

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
This is what drives me crazy about these misleading "features"...

The only way there could be anything "productive" about this is if you can actually use more than just 4 apps to do split screening in!!!!!!

I don't think tablets will ever be productive. You're always going to be limited by a small screen. I don't really count the surface pro 3 either, yes it has a big screen but people are going to use it with a keyboard and stand. At that point it's just a wannabe laptop.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I'm sure a lot of people here at MR cares who was first. Just go read any threads related to sapphire glass and fingerprint scanner. And I thought someone declared thermonuclear war for copying.

You clearly have not had the joy of reading all the posts people make on this site moaning about Samsung and others who apparently have entire teams waiting to copy whatever it is that Apple is rumoured to be up to.

Yet when the case is reversed, they are the same people going on about how it is not important who did it first and try to belittle any who dare to mention that someone had been doing something successfully before Apple.

Been reading MR for sometime now. Just decided recently to start commenting. You both are right, some of the threads can get down right pathetic. Samsung, Google, Microsoft, and now Beats. Company's inspired by the 1st book of Dante's Divine Comedy judging by some of the comments. Fortunately, most of the people on this site are reasonable adults with a healthy perspective.

----------

The people who keep passive aggressively bringing it up.

Not sure what your saying. Sorry:eek:

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I don't think tablets will ever be productive. You're always going to be limited by a small screen. I don't really count the surface pro 3 either, yes it has a big screen but people are going to use it with a keyboard and stand. At that point it's just a wannabe laptop.

In my experience this is entirely the case, they are a supporting tool for use as reference (e.g. making notes/referencing documents) whilst out on the go. For anything more serious than some blogging, email, surfing or photo editing in amusing ways (e.g. colour splash) I reach straight for my Macbook.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
There is doing it and there is doing it well. Apple needs to do it in a way that is simple, energy efficient, and secure. Criteria not typically applied to Android implementations.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Fortunately, most of the people on this site are reasonable adults with a healthy perspective.

That is why I keep coming on here too. There are some incredibly clever, talented people on here with tremendous knowledge of the various technologies available and the history of Apple and other pioneering IT firms over the last few decades. It is interesting to read their posts. Particularly any post by Fresh Pie who always cheers my day up.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Unless MacRumors has additional sources besides the ones linked to in the article, this appears to be utter bull. The only thing they link to is a tweet from a random guy (as far as I can tell) claiming that he saw SpringBoard code that says it can do this.

He doesn't share the code in question that he supposedly saw, nor where he saw it.

icyrock1

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
Not sure what your saying. Sorry:eek:

Basically it means people who bring up "*insert OS here* already has it/did it first" just so they can get a rise out of others. It might not be like that on this forum (haven't been here long enough) but it's fairly common behavior where I come from.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Basically it means people who bring up "*insert OS here* already has it/did it first" just so they can get a rise out of others. It might not be like that on this forum (haven't been here long enough) but it's fairly common behavior where I come from.

Yeah, unfortunately it's becoming more common around here too. We have over eager enthusiasts (fanboys) from Apple and Android and they're both equally annoying. As I said in a separate post, the vast majority of the people here are reasonable adults so the bad ones are just tolerated, or better yet, ignored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.