Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Spotify allows downloading. Not downloading into your iTunes library, of course, but downloading into the Spotify app for offline playback.

But you cannot access those files downloaded through Spotify; at least not through any legitimate/officially supported way. They are purely for use within the app to support offline playback. Not so with an app that downloads rips an MP3 from YouTube, etc., for free and lets you do whatever you want with it.

Spotify also has license agreements to do what they do. Does "iDownloader Pro Free"?

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
Apple should have done this a while ago. I'm surprised they've allowed apps that allow illegal music download in the first place. Maybe it's too hard to figure out the real intended purpose of an app before allowing it in the App Store.

They better not touch on Spotify!

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
But you cannot access those files downloaded through Spotify; at least not through any legitimate/officially supported way. They are purely for use within the app to support offline playback. Not so with an app that downloads rips an MP3 from YouTube, etc., for free and lets you do whatever you want with it.

Spotify also has license agreements to do what they do. Does "iDownloader Pro Free"?

Psst.

That's because doing what you're talking about

is wildly

illegal.

macplay

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2012
They move slowly the music services away from itunes to a new music streaming service (maybe somthing with Beats).
Soon its not inbeded in iTunes anymore.

To give it a new impuls of lisening to music.

Soni Sanjay

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2013
All I can say is finally. FINALLY!

----------

This is the front line of the war on downloads. It's just like Apple removing CD drives to force the transition to downloaded mp3s.

iTunes mp3s are out. The new format is streaming Beats.

This is pure nonsense, first, Apple uses AAC, not MP3, and they are removing apps that allow you to download songs ILLEGALLY.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Don't Understand

How do they define music download? Apps like Spotify, Rhapsody, Google Play, etc. Let you download music.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If Apple would first release iTunes Radio outside US and Australia; that would be great.

No kidding. It's bizarre that it's not available in NZ since streaming rights are shared with Australia. Competitors like Pandora and Spotify launched in both countries simultaneously so I don't know what the hold up is for Apple.

Its likely not that Apple doesn't want to launch elsewhere, but can't get a viable deal in place with the respective music labels and licensing groups. That's what could hold up Apple -- the lack of rights to stream music in your country.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Just for the record, you don't need an app to do an of that... although more convenient, just for up your mac and head to some sites that pull info from both Sound-cloud and YouTube, even if plugs get blocked...

That's how i get all my music. or other mp3 sites.

It may be a push in the right direction to try and get uses using iTunes Radio, but personally, the horse has already bolted before u closed the gate..

This ain't gonna be popular.... I can tell already by the "cumbersome" advertising push Apple is doing...

If they have to do this much even directing people from the App sore, then that means they are struggling.

If i wasn't such a genius, I'd be working at Apple myself :)

I may be wrong here, but you'll see.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
If this is just apps that promote piracy then fair enough, but if it's going to be any app that allows a download of a music file… that would be nuts.

sparkso

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
Strictly speaking

strictly speaking, they should not allow safari on the Mac as well. Safari allows downloading music from mp3skull , 4shared etc.
and its just one more step to put those downloaded music on your phones.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
strictly speaking, they should not allow safari on the Mac as well. Safari allows downloading music from mp3skull , 4shared etc.
and its just one more step to put those downloaded music on your phones.

That's different..

If Apple had left those apps in the store used to download "other" pirate music from within the app, that would have been fine by me,,,, but then Apple would be breaking its Terms of Use.... Thus, by removing them Apple could just put up apps, and leave it at that, but they also promotes iTunes Radio,

ie Letting the user know *again* iTunes store and Radio..

Something I'm sure if if used iTunes they would have known anyway

Why do hey need reminded again ? When they chose deliberately to just browse via App Store ? other than pure promotion ?

People are gonna get what they want anyway, shape, or form, no one can stop that

Piracy's been going on since the old Commodore days in 1985 ... and here we are, and Apple still can't stop it, (let alone the music industry), so that's tell you something... While they can offer tracks to download, its only a small piece of the pie.

Nothing is gonna change over-night.

Still, its Apple days. we can only see where they go from here. Even if Apple did remove Safari, people would just use Mozilla, or Chrome..

sparkso

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
That's different..

If Apple had left those apps in the store used to download "other" pirate music from within the app, that would have been fine by me,,,, but then Apple would be breaking its Terms of Use.... Thus, by removing them Apple could just put up apps, and leave it at that, but they also promotes iTunes Radio,

ie Letting the user know *again* iTunes store and Radio..

Something I'm sure if if used iTunes they would have known anyway

Why do hey need reminded again ? When they chose deliberately to just browse via App Store ? other than pure promotion ?

People are gonna get what they want anyway, shape, or form, no one can stop that

Piracy's been going on since the old Commodore days in 1985 ... and here we are, and Apple still can't stop it, (let alone the music industry), so that's tell you something... While they can offer tracks to download, its only a small piece of the pie.

Nothing is gonna change over-night.

Still, its Apple days. we can only see where they go from here. Even if Apple did remove Safari, people would just use Mozilla, or Chrome..

Well yes, this is what i am saying. Those apps being removed are simply web browsers that provide a download function. Just like how safari, chrome etc works on PC / Macs. In fact some browser apps are still available on the app store that provides downloading function but they are just not marketed as "Music Downloaders" but people know that they can use those apps to download from the internet. Basically the app reviewers don't really understand what is going on. They simply look at the names of the apps and go "oh it seems like a pirating app to me" then they pull it. If they follow a Single Standard they should pull all download enabled web browsers, including the ones on Macs (i.e. chrome firefox etc)

icyrock1

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
Well, if Apple would build in a decent file manager, most of these apps wouldn't exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.