Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nerfjames

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
Hello All,

I just went to Best Buy and had them price match it. The manager started to say well we have to call the store to see if it is in stock. I kindly pointed out that their website (Price Matching) does not detail it has to be in stock, but advertised that way.

He then said nothing more and approved it. $199 is a great price to have a second iPad. I am giving this one to a friend and couldn't pass up the deal.

Jeff

Wrong. From http://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-to...e/pcmcat297300050000.c?id=pcmcat297300050000:

Our Low Price Guarantee does not cover:

Any financing offers, bundle offers, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, coupon offers, items that are advertised as limited quantity, out of stock items, open-box items, clearance items, refurbished/used items, deal of the day, daily deals, special hour sale event items, credit card offers, gift card offers, rent/lease to own items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving, whether offered by Best Buy or a competitor.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
A8 based units just a month or two away, plus a few of my apps say an A6 is the minimum...

These A5's may be starting to show their age.

Maybe a refurb'd A7 iPad Mini after the A8's are out may be the better deal.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
I'm worried that this thing couldn't run ios 9 when it comes out

Such a good price!

So true! IOS8 is already pushing split screen multitaskingthat taxes the CPU to its higher limit, which we all know the iPad2/mini would probably choke.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
So true! IOS8 is already pushing split screen multitaskingthat taxes the CPU to its higher limit, which we all know the iPad2/mini would probably choke.

If that's the case then split screen maybe left out of the Mini. There were certain features the iPad 2 did not get that was available the iPad 3 and Mini. I do tend to agree that iOS 9 could be EOL support for the Mini but if certain features will ruin the performance then Apple may leave out split screen support on the Mini.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
$330 for brand new Retina mini on ebay

The iPad is finally getting deep discounts accross the board, yesterday an authorized reseller was selling the rMini for $330 shipped (no taxes) on ebay.

Also Best Buy had the iPad air 16 GB for $420 a few weeks ago.

Times are changing.

pondhopper

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
somewhere. out there.
errrr....

This fathers day, let dad know he's second rate by getting him a second rate iPad Mini.

Tell dad "hey, you're outdated and here is a crappy tablet you can find on Craigslist for about $100"........."But I payed $199"

:p I can see why you are bitter, as Dad never PAID for your grammar and spelling lessons.:p

sadastronaut

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
Wal-Mart, at least the one we went to, does do price matching. My wife showed them the Target price on her phone (via Safari) and they price matched. Which is good since most Targets didn't have stock anymore.

----------

This fathers day, let dad know he's second rate by getting him a second rate iPad Mini.

Tell dad "hey, you're outdated and here is a crappy tablet you can find on Craigslist for about $100"........."But I payed $199"

So unless you get your dad the most expensive gift it shows he isn't a good dad? As a dad, I was very happy to get this for father's day. Yeah, it isn't the best tablet, but I don't need the very best, especially since I didn't have tablet and I now have a piece of technology that didn't even exist a few years ago. I'm middle class, so I'm from a family where we typically spent 50 bucks on a father's day gift, much less $200. And we typically don't spend this much on father's day gifts, so it's more like a gift for the whole family.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Utter nonsense, the whole bit. What you think is crappy someone else will differ which includes me. As I own an Air and I have no problems with the iPad Mini.

What applies to your area doesn't apply to others. No such price exist in my area as my Craigslist prices for the Mini starts in the $225 range and higher.

At $199 it's a good deal for an iPad. You can resell it for the same price on Ebay or trade it in at Best Buy $152. A $48 device at worse.

sadastronaut

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014

Draco Malfoy thinks you're a little extreme.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
That display is SO BAD I'd still turn it down for $50. I'm totally serious. I was shocked they released such an awful piece of junk when it first came out and I'm doubly aghast they still sell the thing.

I've been using the mini as well as retina iPads and I don't find the mini screen lacking at all.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Hello All,

I just went to Best Buy and had them price match it. The manager started to say well we have to call the store to see if it is in stock. I kindly pointed out that their website (Price Matching) does not detail it has to be in stock, but advertised that way.

He then said nothing more and approved it. $199 is a great price to have a second iPad. I am giving this one to a friend and couldn't pass up the deal.

Jeff

Per Best Buy's price match policy:

What if the competitor does not have the item in stock or has limited quantities of the product?

Sometimes a qualifying competitor will advertise a product in ads and on its website as having limited quantities in stock. If the item is out of stock or the competitor has advertised as limited quantities of an item, it is not eligible for price matching. Likewise, if Best Buy has a product that is advertised as being limited in quantity it will not be eligible for price matching.

ArmyStrongMD

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
Clearwater, FL

Are you rich? You must be because used minis usually sell for over $200 on eBay and they are only $100 in your area, that's a serious arbitrage opportunity. You should buy every one that you can for $100 and double your money! Please send me links to these because I have not found any that cheap but I would certainly like to.

I am usually a "latest and greatest" type of purchaser and an early adopter, but I love my original mini and just saw no reason to upgrade for $399+. When the next one comes out I will probably get it. People who don't own a mini and just look at specs on the internet seem to overlook the fact that although it is mostly the same hardware found in the iPad 2, the pixel density is greater since it is a smaller screen, and the same hardware in a smaller tablet makes it run much faster than the iPad 2. Just like an SUV with 200hp is relatively slow, but a Miata with 200hp is a rocket.

----------

Per Best Buy's price match policy:

What if the competitor does not have the item in stock or has limited quantities of the product?

Sometimes a qualifying competitor will advertise a product in ads and on its website as having limited quantities in stock. If the item is out of stock or the competitor has advertised as limited quantities of an item, it is not eligible for price matching. Likewise, if Best Buy has a product that is advertised as being limited in quantity it will not be eligible for price matching.

Best Buy in my area actually changed the price to $199 on their website for in-store pickup and in-store too obviously. Most are sold out but a few have them. The one closest to me was sold out and I didn't want to drive half an hour to St Pete so I just went to Walmart and they already knew about the special and price matched.

The guy at Best Buy told me that they changed their price because Target had offered it first. I am not sure if this is nationwide or just Tampa Bay.

----------

A8 based units just a month or two away, plus a few of my apps say an A6 is the minimum...

These A5's may be starting to show their age.

Maybe a refurb'd A7 iPad Mini after the A8's are out may be the better deal.

Definitely, but for the price, I can't think of anything I would rather have. The only app I have run with any issues is Sims Freeplay. It is not as smooth on the Mini as it is on my iPhone 5S. I don't really use it for games but I imagine if you play a lot of graphics/memory hogging games the old Mini would not be ideal. I have never felt the screen resolution was inadequate and I absolutely love the battery life. I charge it like once a week.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
i actually find even the retina mini is inadequate. but thats only next to the brilliance of the iPad Air's display. I was quite sad when I bought a launch day retina mini and saw the dullness of the screen. no matter, I quickly exchanged for a 128GB air and couldn't have been happier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.