Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
I don't know about you guys, but it makes me really aggravated on how people record video with their iPhones! People who old their phones vertically don't have any idea how ****** the video comes out verse holding it horizontally. Holding vertically and exporting it for Facebook or for editing purposes doesn't give you that true 1080p the iPhone is made to put out.

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
Vertical Video Syndrome

I agree with the OP, video shot vertical regardless of the smartphone brand is aggravating to watch! The 1080 HD video squeezed into the center of a horizontal computer or TV screen wastes screen real estate or wastes video content if enlarged to fill the screen. Vertical video is aggravating enough when posted to YouTube or FB, but its's more so when TV news broadcasts a vertical video of a news worthy event!

If you wouldn't shoot a video vertical with a dedicated video camera, why shoot it vertical with a smartphone?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
People are going to do it no matter what. Unless you are a professional, it is not going to matter to the average person how they shoot the video. Yes it is harder to view, but if it is that bad, then move on to something more viewable.

A lot of people struggle just trying to use the phone on a daily basis, let alone trying to shoot good video. Most will not even consider editing that video either.

I understand where you are coming from completely, but if you put human and error together, in most cases you will end with a mess.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I don't know about you guys, but it makes me really aggravated on how people record video with their iPhones! People who old their phones vertically don't have any idea how ****** the video comes out verse holding it horizontally. Holding vertically and exporting it for Facebook or for editing purposes doesn't give you that true 1080p the iPhone is made to put out.

These same people and their audiences can't see the difference. IQ matters little when you view it on a three inch screen. Arguing that it's better to hold it horizontal is about as ineffective as telling them that the speaker built into the iPhone is "not HiFi". They don't care.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Who would record video vertically? :confused:

Never seen any video worth mentioning that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.