Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidb367

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
OS X 10.9.3 Stock 6 core 16GB 256GB SSD.

When I cold boot the nMP the second monitor will display random garbage while the main monitor is showing the grey screen. It hangs and I must shut it off and reboot again. After that the machine works flawlessly. Both monitors are 1080p connected by DVI<->mDP. If I switch thunderbolt ports, the other monitor becomes the main monitor and the second monitor again shows garbage and locks up on a cold boot a few days later.

The nMP has worked perfectly until I installed 10.9.3. Windows works perfectly from BootCamp.

I have:

- Resinstalled OS X from the restore partition.
- Run disk utility to repair the SSD. No errors.
- Restored from a full Time Machine backup.
- Run hardware diagnostics. Passed.
- Ran the combo 10.9.3 installer on top of the existing 10.9.3 partition.

Anybody seen or experienced this before?

Last edited:

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
After updating 10.9.3 I have had this exactly same behaviour with my second monitor (Thunderbolt>DVI). It started right after .3 update. I can avoid this error by switching the problem monitor ON only after login screen has came into another monitor (HDMI).
Like yours, forcing reboot always helps. This happens only when cold starting my nMP.

OS X 10.9.3/6 core/32GB/D300

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
I've also been experiencing display weirdness after installing 10.9.3. Don't know if something got broken or what, but whenever I put my display to sleep using a hot corner, I have to turn the monitor off and on to get it to start showing something otherwise it just stays sleeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.