Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
What would be the performance difference of 0.1Ghz in this speed bump?

I guess that there have to be other goodies in addition to the price reduction.

Any new mouse? Trackpad?

What would be the low cost iMac specs??

About 4K or higher resolution displays, aren't there many 27" monitors already available from Dell and Samsung, and others, in the retail price range ~$700 like the current iMac/Thunderbolt display, why isn't this feasible???

Do you think Apple will not do an event for the launch of the retina or UHD display? Will they rely on the Beats marketing strategy instead?

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
All I know is that after switching from my Retina Macbook Pro to my iMac, the iMac screen looks grainy like hell.

Simply not true!
"Grainy like Hell" isn't how I'd describe the current 27" display.

It amazes me how people see what they want to see according to marketing speak.

"THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CURRENT 27" DISPLAY"

Someone tells you that retina is the only way - everything else is now obsolete?
Gotta buy retina....

BTW - what's the maximum 'DPI' or 'PPI' that a human eye can resolve? And at what distance between your retina and the display is this calculated?

Grainy my ass.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The Mini would have seen little to no improvement with a 2013 refresh, so why do it? Sure, the iMac was updated even though it isn't a laptop, but it has a discreet graphics card and a desktop class processor. Even if Apple had released a 2013 Mini, there would be zero reason to buy it over the 2012 model.

Unless Apple repositioned the mini from the "least expensive Mac line" to the "Your own Mac" line, be it entry level or hobbyist.

Revamp w/ a (BTO?) model that included a desktop class processor and discreet graphics -- a headless iMac, not the a headless 2012 13" MBP that it is right now. That would be different and play the "hobbyist"/"prosumer" role the the entry level MP use to be. $1699 for a 3.5QC i7/4GB GeForce 780M/ + upgradable RAM and SSD/HD as the current model offers. I'm all in.

----------

Simply not true!
"Grainy like Hell" isn't how I'd describe the current 27" display.

It amazes me how people see what they want to see according to marketing speak.

"THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CURRENT 27" DISPLAY"

Someone tells you that retina is the only way - everything else is now obsolete?
Gotta buy retina....

BTW - what's the maximum 'DPI' or 'PPI' that a human eye can resolve? And at what distance between your retina and the display is this calculated?

Grainy my ass.

480i looked fantastic until 720p. 720p looked amazing until 1080p. 1080p looked phenomenal until 4K appeared. It's not marketing; it's progress and the human desire to have better than before. Is your 27" iMac obsolete? No. Enjoy it as long as you like. Reeelax.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I think they are coming out with a Touchscreen iMac in the fall, all the changes in Mavericks seem geared towards that.

Out of curiosity, what changes in Mavericks are you talking about? I didn't see anything touch screen related at all. Or are you confusing Mavericks and Yosemite? In that case, what changes in Yosemite are you talking about?

Facts: 1. My fingers are a lot less accurate than my mouse. 2. I hate fingerprints on my computer screen, and anyone touching it gets a slap on their hands. 3. There's still no solution to the "gorilla arm" problem.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Looks like Apple is returning to it's old '90's loosing ways. Throw a $#!T-load of products at the consumers to confuse the heck out of them. No model will stand out as "the best", eliminating their Best Products Image. They're moving into the Samsung products class. Next think you know, Apple will be licensing their OS and iOS to outside manufacturers.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
I believe in a 21.5 or 23 iMac with retina display, but I think they are going to wait another year or so to launch a bigger model. That's my guess.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
If this is true, I wonder why they just didn't announce this at WWDC?

Because retina displays are not coming with the Haswell refresh. I don't expect any additional new products--including new models with retina displays--until Broadwell launches. Anyone hoping for an iMac with retina display before Broadwell is released is going to be disappointed with the refreshed models. OS X Yosemite is not coming until Fall, 2014, and Broadwell will launch about then, if not a little later. I have a feeling Apple is going to launch a deluge of new products at the end of this year.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Why would someone want to waste GPU power on pushing more pixels on an imac? The resolution is fantastic, as is.

If you think you need a retina imac, then you are easily fooled by marketing gimmicks.

I bet you said the same thing about retina iPhones, iPads, and rMBP's.

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
??? If the rumors are true it is more then just a processor bump.

The fact that there is no special press event tells me that it'll be another minor upgrade along the lines of the MacBook Air refresh that'll give Apple some room to manoeuvre until Broadwell makes its appearance along with the GPU grunt required to run a 27" Retina display without a hiccup.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

I have heard as high as 1000 PPI indirectly calculated to as low as Apple's ~300 PPI definition which they tested themselves. Keep in mind the threshold would be higher with movement as rounded objects and more shading subtleties come into play.

Keep in mind also that this is an extremely difficult thing to test objectively.

Jingleballz

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
so if this is true, will the gpu get bumped to?

I bought the maxed out iMac last week, would i be able to return it for the latest one next week?

Yes, you can! I purchased a brand new iMac last Friday, June 6th. Played with it over the weekend and had it until yesterday. As soon as I heard about this news (late yesterday), I went and returned my iMac last night.

The small CPU bump and $100 or so price drop doesn't mean anything to me, but I am holding my breath for a GPU update. I hope they toss a GTX 880M in this refresh, if not, I'll at least have a "2014 iMac" vs "Late 2013 iMac".

Cheers

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Warning: slightly off topic rant ahead:

It seems Apple is getting China as a 'growth market' all wrong.

Admittedly all I have is my anecdotal evidence rather than a team of highly paid professional market researchers, however in my experience the kind of Chinese consumers that buy Apple products don't want the cheapest option.

As we know, the wealth gap in China along with many developing nations is vast, but the Apple brand is basically seen as a status symbol among the aspirational middle class that can reach this spending bracket. And it's actually cheaper and more useful than buying an LV bag that proves 'they've made it'. Furthermore, the attitude is an ‘all or nothing’ approach and people are acutely aware of their peers impression of them and the ‘luxury’ products they consume. The average (Shanghainese) consumer see's a 5C as an embarrassment that they couldn’t afford the 5S – or that they're too stupid or poorly connected to buy it from Hong Kong where it’s 20% cheaper.

As some anecdotal evidence, in a city of 24 million people, I’ve not seen more than a few dozen people using the 5C and hundreds or thousands using 5/5S. In comparison I went back to London for a week recently and saw more 5C models in that 7 days than I have in nearly a year in Shanghai.

Furthermore the average ‘poor’ family in urban China probably has a lot more cash wealth than an equivalent western family. That’s because the social healthcare is so bad here that families need to save money for potentially massive unforeseen medical bills in the future from inexperienced and incompetent doctors. It's the only reason why the percentage of their salary that they save far exceeds that of Westerners.

Similarly, next to nobody buys Apple desktops in China because they can’t show them off like they can a laptop. In addition they all run Windows anyway because no one will bother to learn how to use OSX and many online transaction and banking websites still require XP to run some some dodgy .exe files.

In closing - a cheap iMac will never sell well in China if there is better Retina model available.

According to dailytech, China is debating whether or not to prohibit the sale of all Apple products and block the use of Google.com and its products (allegedly) due to fears of NSA spying. It has already banned Windows 8 for the same reason.

The rumors are claiming that it will be a small processor bump, TB 2, and a price drop. If that is what you would call "more", then sure, but still not keynote worthy.

I hope to see TB 2 on the iMac refresh because TB 3 is due next year and I would like to see Apple maintain parity of TB versions across its product lines. The iMac will also likely need the bandwidth of TB 3 for any retina displays that approximate or reach 4k resolution; otherwise its performance may suffer.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Apple... as well as the 3.0 GHz i5-4590S and 3.2 GHz i5-4790S for the 21.5-inch model. It is also likely that Apple will cut the price of the standard iMac configurations to go along with these minor spec bumps.

Doesn't make much sense at all.

1. There is no i5-4790S. There is an i7 4790S

http://ark.intel.com/products/80808/Intel-Core-i7-4790S-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

2. Those are back-sliding CPU+GPUs for a 21.5 iMac. Both of those are HD 4600 GPUs. The current entry iMacs have Iris Pro GPUs to compensate for no discrete GPU. If Apple is trying to chop costs seems unlikely they would be adding a dGPU + VRAM to the entry model. Perhaps they got a made clearance pricing on some dGPUs but typically when Apple adds more the costs go up; not down.

that Apple would be launching a lower-cost iMac in the near future to address growth in foregin markets.

The 2013 base price went up $100. Moving back $100 only would put the iMac back where it was. Unless, Apple is moving the iMac prices $200-300 down, "lower" is far more just getting back to where they were; not opening up new market segments.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
people get excited about new hardware. software and it's underlying capabilities are all just an expectation to most, just something that has to work and do whatever is expected and always a day too late. you could code the software equivalent of time travel and no one would blink an eye but tweak the profile of a phone enough that it looks different then their neighbor's and the world goes nuts. funny the world we live in...

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Yes, you can! I purchased a brand new iMac last Friday, June 6th. Played with it over the weekend and had it until yesterday. As soon as I heard about this news (late yesterday), I went and returned my iMac last night.

The small CPU bump and $100 or so price drop doesn't mean anything to me, but I am holding my breath for a GPU update. I hope they toss a GTX 880M in this refresh, if not, I'll at least have a "2014 iMac" vs "Late 2013 iMac".

Cheers

I think the return is 14 days from what i was reading, so that means if it isn't out by monday then I will be to late. If the do release a lower cost iMac by 100$ i don't see how they would add something better...hmm what to do..

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Yes I agree, however if you look at past WWDCs Apple has released hardware.

Released hardware that typically shows off the new features of the new/upcoming software. Add "Retina" support to OS X ..... then probably should have a "Retina" Mac product on stage to do demo. Add "race to sleep " power saving features to OS X ..... then probably should have a laptop Mac on stage with longer battery life.

An 'either/or' chasm between hardware and software really is not Apple's focus. Apple sells systems which is a combination of both. If both make a point at WWDC then the system gets stage time. If not, then perhaps occasionally as a time filler. [ Or 'special event' that happens to line up; e.g., retiring the old Mac Pro form factor. ]

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I believe in a 21.5 or 23 iMac with retina display, but I think they are going to wait another year or so to launch a bigger model. That's my guess.

That sure would be disappointing since the 27 is deemed to be the higher end model to begin with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.