Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
So I was told to use SQL db backups via phpadmin but i don't see the point since we now have XML/JSON via Cherry Options etc.

I was thinking to do a complete backup i just export XML/JSON files from within the Dashboard Cherry Options then use FTP to grab the entire public_html folder.

In the future I just upload the public_html folder via FTP and then import the XML/JSON files for the data.

What do you think?

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
For backups, I think it's unwise to store in anything other than its native format. Your data's integrity is at risk if it's being converted to some other format for storage, then converted once again if it's ever actually used as a backup.

Plus, I can't imagine that XML would weigh less than a raw SQL backup.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Do an SQL database backup. It will be faster, easier to maintain (you can do it via a shell script incredibly easily) and will ensure that both the data and the structure of your database is backed up. Plus it will be quicker to restore the backup in the case of loss of data.

XML and JSON have their place but this isn't one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.