Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tantmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Hi Guys

I am planning to buy a Mac mini for my home use

There are reasons because of which i am inclined towards buying a Mac Mini

1) I am windows owner all through out and I am going to use Mac for the first time
2) It will be used for daily home use like watching movies, listening to music
3) some official works that will involve word processing (is there something available for free in MAc domain like Microsoft word)
4) Can i use Mac for downloading using torrent? monthly download of around 30-40 GB
5) I have heard that VMs can be installed on MAC that can run Windows? For the initial few days I may have Windows as well till I am confident on Mac. Is VM software available for free?

BR
Tanmay

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Standard Mini is good for what you want. If you read all the posts here and the buyers guide you'll see the Mini hasn't been updated by Apple for quite a while, so many people will say wait. I use a 2009 Mini (upgraded Ram to 8gb and larger/faster HDD) for pretty much the same usage. It runs all the latest software.

If you want to save some money try and find a 2012 Mini for sale used (they hold their price well you may be surprised by how much you have to pay). I would suggest you get an Apple wireless keyboard (a few special keys which are very useful), you can just re-use your existing monitor. I have an Apple magic mouse which I like, also trackpad is an option. You can use a normal "windows mouse" although Apple have some nice mouse gestures which are useful. Do some research to see what you think.

You can buy MS Office for Mac. You can use OpenOffice for free. You can read/write most basic Office files using the free Apple applications (Pages, Numbers, Keynote). In my view for normal documents Pages is better than Word. If you do big spreadsheets and want macros then Excel is better. You can run a Virtual Machine to boot into Windows if you want but I would suggest you just kick the Windows software habit given your usage, you won't regret it.

I understand all the normal torrent apps run perfectly well on a Mini and does VPN software :cool:

Tantmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Thanks

Any idea what software is used to install VM on Mac?
and what are the available torrent clients on MAc?

BR
Tanmay

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Thanks

Any idea what software is used to install VM on Mac?
and what are the available torrent clients on MAc?

BR
Tanmay

Hi, for VM you have Bootcamp (free, but you need to reboot for using it), Paralells, VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox (free) and for Torrent, well, you have qTorrent, Transmission and many others.

One of the better (non-bloated) Torrent clients is this:
http://deluge-torrent.org/

It is opensource and cross-platform.

Tantmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
By the way

since I come from a Windows background, we get access to many softwares free of cost. Most windows application installers are freely available on net

in the Mac domain, i have heard it is difficult to get all softwares on net. is it true? for example, whenever i used windows, i had basic softwares like MS office (slides, doc, spreadsheets) etc in place. I have heard there are similar softwares like Pages, Numbers, etc in Mac. But are those free?

Let's make this simple, what are softwares available by free on a new mac mini?

BR

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Free apps included link here

Yes Numbers (excel equiv), Pages (word), Keynote (Powerpoint), Preview lets you create/write pdfs as does Pages, iPhoto is great for managing photo collection and synching with other devices.

I switched over from Windows in 2008, never looked back. Most of the things you need are free or if you have to pay they are much cheaper than MS/Windows. Plus of course they work better (IMO). OS upgrades are free now and Mac users tend to run the latest software (I read 60% of Windows machines are still running XP for instance)

Also I use VLC (free) for movie playback, most decent free software has a Mac version.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
By the way

since I come from a Windows background, we get access to many softwares free of cost. Most windows application installers are freely available on net

Yes, if these applications are freeware or opensource freeware.

Microsoft Office is not free. Some brands of computers have sometimes the MS Office Basic (crippled) versions of Microsoft Word, maybe Excel and Powerpoint installed. Or they include on of the trial versions of MS Office. But after 30, 60 or 90 days you need to activate them/buy a license.

Neither way, the "real" versions are all commercial packages, that you need to pay for a license.
Or subcribe to Office365 service. Which isn't free either.

The freeware Office packages are:
- LibreOffice
- OpenOffice
- SoftMaker FreeOffice
- Kingsoft Office Suite Free

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Microsoft Office is not free.

Given the BitTorrent client questions, I suspect the OP wasn't particularly concerned about a legitimate copy of MS Office... (yes I know there are legitimate uses for BitTorrent, just as there are perfectly innocent explanations to give your girlfriend's dad why you're in her bed at 3am... :D )

Tantmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
is this is a configuration to go for?

Processor: 2.5GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 Processor
RAM:4GB DDR3 RAM
HDD: 500GB HDD
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Thunderbolt Technology

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia

Intel HD Graphics 4000
Thunderbolt Technology

For watching music, listening to movies, text writting etc. it is OK. Also it can run light/older games without bigger problems.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK

Intel HD Graphics 4000
Thunderbolt Technology
Yes, fine for what you want including the streaming. It will run better with 8GB RAM which you can add yourself. It's easy to add external drives too (via USB3) and if you wish it's easy to make them the boot drive.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you can afford it, get the i7 instead of the i5.

Also - rather than buying new, consider an "Apple-refurbished" Mini. This will save you some money.

Keep an eye on what's available in refurbs by using this page:
http://www.refurb.me/us/

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
For your demands any from the 2009 and newer will do. I would lean toward a new entry model as it offers USB3, 2 sata 600 bays, FW800, warranty. The dual core/4 thread i5 will offer plenty of oomph. If you have an extra 200 bucks, you can also take the i7. 2.3 model will do fine. Don't buy memory updates and drive updates at Apple, do them yourself (easy).

For downloading: use uTorrent. It is lightweight and the only client I know that does not make a mess when selecting certain files from a torrent only.
For Windows: use Virtual Box. Although Bootcamp is free and comes with the Mac, the usability is awkward. It needs reboots all the time and you must split your hard drive. With VB you can make an auto-growing diskimage for Windows, and if it gets too big, you can easily move it to an external disk.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Just be aware that Apple will probably upgrade the Mac mini in a few months when Intel releases Broadwell CPUs.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
For downloading: use uTorrent. It is lightweight and the only client I know that does not make a mess when selecting certain files from a torrent only.

Transmission is the cleanest simplest easiest, most uncluttered yet incredibly powerful bt client for mac. Selecting individual file works flawlessly and it downloads at a very fast clip while using minimal system resources.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
We've been hearing that a Mini refresh is due "soon" for 18 months now

Yep. There's almost always a "newer/better/upgraded version coming in just a few months".

Except that now, Intel CEO promised Broadwell PCs on shelves for holidays. And given past cooperation, I'm pretty sure Apple will be the first in line to get the new CPUs.

So yes, a new Mac mini (Mac nano?) is due soon, but we now have a known calendar target to go with this prediction.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Except that now, Intel CEO promised Broadwell PCs on shelves for holidays. And given past cooperation, I'm pretty sure Apple will be the first in line to get the new CPUs.

So yes, a new Mac mini (Mac nano?) is due soon, but we now have a known calendar target to go with this prediction.
The holidays are 5 months away, a few of us here believe a Mini refresh is for 2015 as other models will get the Broadwell first. "Soon" can mean many things, I believe a new Mini is 9 months away at least. :(

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Intel claims Broadwell will provide a 30 per cent power reduction over the previous generation chip, while providing the same level of performance.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/22111/intel-broadwell-release-date-specs

If this is true, I'm wondering what Broadwell would realistically give us as opposed to the Mac Mini we have available today. I haven't watched Intel's roadmap - so I am not sure exactly what Broadwell would do in a mobile chip besides save power and give a modest boost in performance. Of course video performance will be much better than we have today.

I guess I am trying to convince myself that if a new Mini doesn't show up soon, purchasing the existing Mini wouldn't be the worst decision one could make. What really hurts is that I don't *need* a new Mini, but would like to add another Mac to the house...

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I guess I am trying to convince myself that if a new Mini doesn't show up soon, purchasing the existing Mini wouldn't be the worst decision one could make. What really hurts is that I don't *need* a new Mini, but would like to add another Mac to the house...

If you don't need one, wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.