Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangehand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Hi
I have had inconsistent results hooking up a few new MM Servers to DVI monitors via the included adaptor. Anyone else out there finding this? Some times the display detects the MM, sometimes not - are all DVI monitors not created equal?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi
I have had inconsistent results hooking up a few new MM Servers to DVI monitors via the included adaptor. Anyone else out there finding this? Some times the display detects the MM, sometimes not - are all DVI monitors not created equal?

Ensure that the monitor has DVI chosen as the primary video input. Does it happen with all Minis on certain monitors or all monitors with certain Minis?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just hooked up my new Mini to a really old DVI monitor yesterday (Samsung 23" 720p digital TV that I got in 2004). I was having the same kind of trouble you described, after screen went to sleep (energy saver preference setting), sometimes the monitor would detect the mini, other times it wouldn't and started scanning all its inputs.

I was thinking that it just wasn't going to work, but I dug through my crate of old cables and tried a different DVI cable. After switching cables, it works perfectly. The first cable I tried was a cheap, thin one that came with some old monitor I no longer own. The one that worked was a fat, stiff one that I purchased separately many years ago.

So try using a different cable if you can (unless the cable is permanently attached to the monitor).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.