Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Lately my Air has been getting very hot which makes my fan run at very high rpm. Does anybody have any explanations for why this is going on? I haven't been doing anything different. The only thing i can think of is updating to Mac OS X 10.10. FYI, tonight I am going to have my friend help me downgrade back to OS X 10...

UPDATE: Back to 10.9.3 (Mavericks) we will see how it goes...

My Mac did run hotter under 10.10 Yosemite. That is a developer release and is to be expected.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Lately my Air has been getting very hot which makes my fan run at very high rpm. Does anybody have any explanations for why this is going on? I haven't been doing anything different. The only thing i can think of is updating to Mac OS X 10.10. FYI, tonight I am going to have my friend help me downgrade back to OS X 10...

UPDATE: Back to 10.9.3 (Mavericks) we will see how it goes...
Have you tried looking at Activity Monitor to see what processes are consuming system resources? It's normal for a Mac to get hot and the fans to spin up during periods of high demand on CPU/GPU. Check to see if this is the case.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Lately my Air has been getting very hot which makes my fan run at very high rpm. Does anybody have any explanations for why this is going on? I haven't been doing anything different. The only thing i can think of is updating to Mac OS X 10.10.

Did you really need to ask this question? Common sense should tell you that 10.10 is available as a Developer Preview only at the moment, so of course it's not going to be optimised yet.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Definitely look at the activity monitor to find out what makes your fan to cheer as much lol.

Haven't experienced any more CPU load than I had on Mavericks ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.