Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Funny you and I agree on something, Inheritance tax should be the first € 1,000,000 in cash should be tax free, every € 1,000,000 after at 15% tax.

All Property & land would be exempt, this would include farms and houses.

You guys would like the US laws, now. It's actually much higher than that (>$5m), plus there are some exclusions.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
How many actually did that?
Quite a few left, you don't have to give up you passport by the way. You don't need that many to leave to make the tax policy counterproductive. The biggest wheeze with the French tax law was the 75% was declared illegal, so they made it 66% payable by the company not the individual and it does apply to footballers/football clubs !!

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Bribing those who were in position to quell such riots.

That does not always work, double crosses, and you have no redress.
If it was true far more Jews would have been able to leave Nazi Germany.

Riots and War situations are a special case.

This is the time when you really do hope that your Private Bankers have done their jobs well.:cool:

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
The EU is slowly cutting its own throat - not that that is a bad thing ..
The EU is here to stay. As I said I am delighted it's starting to do something about this issue. Apple has legally dodged $50 billion. It will be interesting to see whether they can resist the activist shareholders who want bigger dividends, at that point Apple has to pay the 35% US taxes due.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
That does not always work, double crosses, and you have no redress.
If it was true far more Jews would have been able to leave Nazi Germany.

Riots and War situations are a special case.

This is the time when you really do hope that your Private Bankers have done their jobs well.:cool:

Agreed. We do what we can.

----------

The UK's major manufacturing companies that are still British owned are in a minority.

Rolls Royce owned by BMW says it all really.:p

Does it ever!

But I was speaking in general terms, of companies that have ceded control to the hired help.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
Are you saying the German Jew's stupidity was the primary cause of the holocaust, instead if the Nazi's intolerant and genocidal policies?

That's a twisted way of putting it. If you know a storm is coming your way, you can only blame yourself if you get caught in it. That does not mean that the storm isn't the primary source of destruction. What it means is that being informed and not acting accordingly is the victim's fault.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
But I was speaking in general terms, of companies that have ceded control to the hired help.

It's not how it really is, it's more like stopping a problem, before it becomes a problem.

The Netherlands is a country that runs on the consensus and compromise, we have 22 political parties, 14 which sit in this parliament, 2 who form the government.

Fights and war are to be avoided because they stop us making money.

Renzatic

Suspended
That's a twisted way of putting it. If you know a storm is coming your way, you can only blame yourself if you get caught in it. That does not mean that the storm isn't the primary source of destruction. What it means is that being informed and not acting accordingly is the victim's fault.

If only things were so obvious and straightforward. Unfortunately, most of those who died in the Holocaust did what just about anyone would do in that situation: they tried to rationalize it until it was too late to do anything about it. First thinking "it won't happen to me", then "it won't get any worse than this". Once they were stripped of their personal belongings and placed in the ghettos, they were all but trapped.

Jews back then were used to being discriminated against, but I doubt even a single one could envision the depths of hate that discrimination would ultimately descend to. You can't blame them for failing to imagine the unimaginable.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
If only things were so obvious and straightforward. Unfortunately, most of those who died in the Holocaust did what just about anyone would do in that situation: they tried to rationalize it until it was too late to do anything about it. First thinking "it won't happen to me", then "it won't get any worse than this". Once they were stripped of their personal belongings and placed in the ghettos, they were all but trapped.

Jews back then were used to being discriminated against, but I doubt even a single one could envision the depths of hate that discrimination would ultimately descend to. You can't blame them for failing to imagine the unimaginable.

That is so true, even as they were being deported from Amsterdam, many of them were saying that it would be better once they got to their final destination.

People’s capacity to delude themselves is mind boggling.

I am told for US example “Think Cubs fans”

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I agree, but I think the government is purely to blame for any "loopholes" multinationals are exploiting. Overall, the current system must be optimally effluence for Ireland, or else I believe change would have already occurred.

It's not just loopholes in an individual country's taxation laws, but loopholes between different nations' taxation. For instance one nation might tax companies which are resident in that country, another might tax companies which are registered/incorporated there, and another again might tax companies based on where the revenue was generated.

There's a lot of scope for mobile entities like multinationals to exploit the gaps between national tax codes, plus it takes less time for them to adjust and evolve than a country does to change its tax law.

I'd have thought Ireland's low corporate tax rate would be enough to entice investment, without creating/tolerating loopholes which reduce the tax-take even further.

IMO, there's a lot of fear here among some that many companies are here because of the business-friendly low-tax regime, and many of those are businesses which are mobile and not very tied down here. Hence the reluctance to tamper with the existing laws. IMO, the IDA (development agency) should be more focused on home-grown start-ups, rather than drawing in multinationals who are easily drawn in but can be just as quick to leave.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Its easier to make yourself happy if you live in a well run country

The problem is agreeing on what constitutes "well run". My opinion is inclined toward what George Washington et al constructed, to wit very minimal with an imperative to respect and preserve rights/liberties/freedoms/property of individuals; that's rather the opposite of what I assume you prefer a la taxation far exceeding 5% of incomes, lots of "illegal unless permitted" regulations, little worry about national debt on par with GDP, and a "for the good of all" imperative. The former isn't "Somalia".

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Except that Apple manufactures nothing in China - they hire other companies to manufacture their stuff in China. Those companies (Foxconn etc.) pay taxes in China. The money Apple makes from having their products manufactured in China doesn't stay in China - it goes straight to the US. And that's why taxes are due in the US.

You obviously did not read the article, the money is going to Ireland not the US.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This is the internet, you can say anything, there is just no way of telling if you are truthful or not.

Isn't this the truth? On another forum I used to visit, one of the most prolific far-right posters claimed he was a multi-millionaire multi-business owner who lived in a "house where his bedroom is bigger than your house", hid all his profits and paid himself through some sort of tax-free loan system, and knew pretty much everything.

I guess he forgot that his personal Facebook page, which is completely public, was listed in his profile. The truth was he was scraping by, selling products on amazon out of his garage, in an old, crappy-looking house in a low-value area, and seems to have no friends. I take with a huge grain of salt what some of these highly-opinionated know-it-alls on the internet have to say.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
You mean these people.:eek:

I wonder who voted for these people.:p

I think that the EU is going to make a difference to the tax deal, like it or not.

The Celtic Tiger is all out of roar.

Ahh well those people can all rot in hell as far as I care. I just assume Kenny's current clan isn't as totally incompetent.

Perhaps, it might be interesting to see what will happen if France and Germany start to act on their threats, although I'll be surprised if anything actually transpires as result.

----------

I see the point you are trying to make and I agree that people should be informed. However, lack of knowledge does not grant free reign to politicians to abuse their citizens, in any scenario.

----------

the IDA (development agency) should be more focused on home-grown start-ups, rather than drawing in multinationals who are easily drawn in but can be just as quick to leave.

I totally agree. It would be great to see that happening.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
The problem is agreeing on what constitutes "well run". My opinion is inclined toward what George Washington et al constructed, to wit very minimal with an imperative to respect and preserve rights/liberties/freedoms/property of individuals; that's rather the opposite of what I assume you prefer a la taxation far exceeding 5% of incomes, lots of "illegal unless permitted" regulations, little worry about national debt on par with GDP, and a "for the good of all" imperative. The former isn't "Somalia".

The founding fathers probably ran the most progressive regime on the planet at the time. Freedom of speech, separation of church and state, some democracy, right to a fair trial and the inability of the army to seize property are all constitutionally protected.

With regards to small government, when 90% of the population is farmers they are much less likely to starve and be unable to house themselves. And no one lived long enough to need a pension. So you could get away with smaller government.

There was also far less access to information. Most people couldn't read and there was no such thing as a radio. I've just been listening to radio 1 (pop music) and on their 10pm bulletin I heard 2 international stories out of 9, and that's excluding the World Cup.

----------

As he should have! Miss Lindsey should have, also!

Which means a non establishment candidate won. Which is hardly going to benefit the establishment.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
I see the point you are trying to make and I agree that people should be informed. However, lack of knowledge does not grant free reign to politicians to abuse their citizens, in any scenario.

The definition of abuse is quite vague when it comes to knowledge. But yes, as long as things aren't based on deliberate violence, I'm a happy camper.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
With regards to small government, when 90% of the population is farmers they are much less likely to starve and be unable to house themselves. And no one lived long enough to need a pension. So you could get away with smaller government.

----------

Which means a non establishment candidate won. Which is hardly going to benefit the establishment.

Exactly! Time for the GOP to get back to its roots, or go away.

BTW, your comment above, on govt being more needed today, assumes that it is the only solution to the changing times. I abhor the fact that this philosophy was allowed/encouraged to take root.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Not only that... we have the power to take our capital to any other international jurisdiction. And then... who is going to create jobs and wealth in the society so the poor can work a future for themselves?

Is this one of those "do you work for a poor person" type comments? The rich aren't the only ones who create jobs. Well, at least in the past they weren't. That's the problem. Who opens sandwich shops and other restaurants? Clothing stores? Dry cleaners? Auto-repair places? Metal shops? Hint: it's not rich people. In order to really spread small business (which is the true backbone of the economy), you have to have a middle class with enough wealth to start even a small business. You don't need some billionaire.

But, since so many people, you included, have bought the lie that sending more money to the rich means more businesses, here we are: a ton of money at the top doing nothing, little money in the middle, no money at the bottom...and a choked economy.

If more money and lower taxes at the top means more business and a better economy, why are we where we are now? The money's all at the top, and the taxes are near the lowest they've ever been. So, what gives?

Oh right...it's a lie.

Someone else?! like who?! who is going to invest their capital in a society that will tax his revenue to oblivion?

Hmm...good question. Who did it in the US between 1938 and 1980? Did no one invest capital in business in those years? And how robust was the us economy in those years vs. after 1980?

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Is this one of those "do you work for a poor person" type comments? The rich aren't the only ones who create jobs. Well, at least in the past they weren't. That's the problem. Who opens sandwich shops and other restaurants? Clothing stores? Dry cleaners? Auto-repair places? Metal shops? Hint: it's not rich people. In order to really spread small business (which is the true backbone of the economy), you have to have a middle class with enough wealth to start even a small business. You don't need some billionaire.

But, since so many people, you included, have bought the lie that sending more money to the rich means more businesses, here we are: a ton of money at the top doing nothing, little money in the middle, no money at the bottom...and a choked economy.

If more money and lower taxes at the top means more business and a better economy, why are we where we are now? The money's all at the top, and the taxes are near the lowest they've ever been. So, what gives?

Oh right...it's a lie.

Hmm...good question. Who did it in the US between 1938 and 1980? Did no one invest capital in business in those years? And how robust was the us economy in those years vs. after 1980?

A couple of points, if I may.

First, small business runs on the back of big business (shops, etc always follow major enterprises - not the other way round).

Second, we have had some very damaging outside influences forced upon us since the mid-seventies. The price of oil, greenies, mountains of regulations, to name a few, have all combined to drastically alter the playing field. The push for ever lower tax rates is, in part, because it is the easiest push-back available, against the ever growing monolith that is the govt (of most countries).

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
The fact that America is broke and 17 trillion in the hole has nothing to do with tax avoidance, but rather with its own government's faults: inefficiencies, chronical over-spending, endless military budgets, etc.

Most people/companies are FED UP with the way their hard-earned money is misused by gargantuan governments who, instead of targeting towards efficiency, throw money down the loo in humungous govt. agencies, outdated bureaucracy, absurdly underused infrastructures, hordes of bureaucrats who hardly serve any pragmatic purpose, etc.

If governments want to avoid tax avoidance, their first step should be to trim out their own inefficiencies.

So true. Good reply.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
First, small business runs on the back of big business (shops, etc always follow major enterprises - not the other way round).

There are over 50 metro areas with over 1 million people in them. Nine with over 5 million. There are plenty of people out there to patronize small businesses. You don't need a major industry to come to town to support them. Around here, pretty much any part of town, you can barely get into places at lunch time. Most restaurants are packed at dinner time. Plenty of room for more.

The biggest caveat is that instead of paying decent wages which allow the middle class to build up some savings and build small businesses, those at the top have manipulated things in their favor to where it all goes to them, and convinced a slew of gullible patsies to support them.

Second, we have had some very damaging outside influences forced upon us since the mid-seventies. The price of oil, greenies, mountains of regulations, to name a few, have all combined to drastically alter the playing field. The push for ever lower tax rates is, in part, because it is the easiest push-back available, against the ever growing monolith that is the govt (of most countries).

And even with nearly the lowest tax rates in the last 100 years, you still whine and cry about it. Even with pretty much the highest share of wealth and income since the Great Depression, it's still not enough? Obviously, the price of oil, the "greenies", and all these stifling regulations isn't damaging the rich too much. If it was damaging, you'd think that their wealth would be more limited.

And while we're at it, why don't you name a few specific regulations, other than "Obamacare", that you think are destroying business and should be removed.

EDIT: I think there should be a tax on every instance of someone uttering "my hard-earned money" or "I work my ass off for my money"

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
There are over 50 metro areas with over 1 million people in them. Nine with over 5 million. There are plenty of people out there to patronize small businesses. You don't need a major industry to come to town to support them. Around here, pretty much any part of town, you can barely get into places at lunch time. Most restaurants are packed at dinner time. Plenty of room for more.

The biggest caveat is that instead of paying decent wages which allow the middle class to build up some savings and build small businesses, those at the top have manipulated things in their favor to where it all goes to them, and convinced a slew of gullible patsies to support them.

I'm skeptical whether any of his words are genuine, but I can say that the economic model mentioned there has severe drawbacks. When a given state or municipality is dependent on a small number of employers, it can absolutely destroy the local economy if one goes under or faces restructuring.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm skeptical whether any of his words are genuine

Oh, I doubt it. I explained why earlier.

but I can say that the economic model mentioned there has severe drawbacks. When a given state or municipality is dependent on a small number of employers, it can absolutely destroy the local economy if one goes under or faces restructuring.

Of course. When cities are built around a single large employer, or a couple of small ones, then those employer decides they can save .07% by moving to another state, you end up with entire cities devastated. Gigantic business is not the better way towards pretty much anything, long term.

Just as you should diversify your portfolio and not put everything into one investment, so should you not build your economy around a small number of massive entities. Besides the prospect of devastation upon their closure or relocation, the power those businesses wield to turn everything in their favor at the detriment of everyone else is all too real (as in buying off politicians to rework tax code so that they can legally move all their money around tax-free).

On the one hand, you want to call the people who support this model some sort of moron or idiot. But then you realize that they are actually quite smart. In pretty much the same way that Bernie Madoff was smart.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
You are both looking at things through a microscope. just try to image the founding of a community of Mom & pop shops - without the fundamental input of a larger wealth creator. When you cite a large metropolis of small businesses, it does not operate without major influence from the large wealth creators. Even Suburbia exists and thrives because of money earned elsewhere - in large amounts.

Otherwise, where would the money come from, to patronize said shops/businesses? Barter?

As to regulations, can we start with EPA, NRLB, Obamacare, Tort? those alone are stifling enough. And as for the banking restrictions ... !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.