Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I want this soooo bad.

Stupid retarded Beats purchase.:mad:

Apple, freaking go buy Nintendo and do THIS.

THIS is how Smash Bros, Mario, Zelda, DonkeyKong were meant to be!

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'm not sure about the practicality of the Airplay extension approach mentioned in the original article. It might work great for some games - but as I understand it the game is rendered in the extension on the AppleTV; which means the AppleTV has to pre-download the game assets from the phone or from the App Store. Some games are >1GB; that won't lead a happy end-user experience.

Yes, maybe the AppleTV can store the extensions locally if there's enough local storage, but it still means the game-buying (and game-updating) process is:

1) Download game on iPhone/iPad, wait...
2) Play, selecting Airplay.
3) Extension copies to AppleTV, then starts downloading game assets, wait...
4) Game (finally) starts.

That approach certainly works, but is a bit un-Apple-like.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Nintendo has to want it. Nintendo doesn't want to be acquired so that ends that.

Sadly Nintendo has always portrayed an attitude of they would rather go under than compromise. They refuse to make their games for other formats such as Mario, Smash and Pokemon for iOS when this would make them a massive source of income but they refuse to do it instead losing money with the WiiU.

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
AppleTV > WiiU

Although mobile GPUs still have a bit to go before they reach thier console brethren
(and that gap gets significantly smaller each & every year) as of right now, SP & MP iGaming is absolutely viable.

Combined with a nice iController, AppleTV won't conquer Xbone or PS4,
but it absolutely will, rightly or wrongly, surpass the WiiU in console gaming revenue as well as
fulfilling the role of being an inexpensive yet very high quality (and heavily supported)
"training wheels" console for Junior & Suzy who just aren't quite ready to play with the big boys yet,
but they can not only play games, they can also watch "Frozen" for the 12 billionth time, too.

I, for one, welcome our new gaming Overlords!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's going to be really interesting to see if Apple shakes up the console world. With a quick upgrade cycle on iOS and developer support for a few generations of devices, we might see a change coming. Consoles won't be able to get by with 8 year cycles like the previous generation when your 2018 or 2019 iPhone is kicking the crap out of the Xbox One and PS4. All Apple needs are the games, and it looks like some bigger names might be coming. I think they should also build a "premium gaming" section of the App Store. It would be a place for AAA titles to exist at a minimum price point. Just like on consoles where you expect to pay $50-60, you would expect to pay $30-40 minimum for console games on the App Store and just like consoles you pay $1-15 for most indie games. I think the minimum price would be cheaper just due to the way the App Store economy of scale works. People expect an app to be cheaper and it's made up for in volume. Once a title gets to a certain sales threshold then they're able to discount it in a "classics" section for $10-20 just like many console games do. Wouldn't it be great if Apple got serious about gaming? I'm quite into gaming and I hate it when people I know bash on Apple any time they come up in relation to gaming. It's a market that could use some innovation right now. Sadly FaceBook now owns one of the more innovative gaming technologies.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
until the get Fully functional PC/Console games on to AppleTV or iOS there isn't going to be much competition

sure iOS+Android competes with the nintendos and sonys mobile game industry

but they aren't touching the console and pc market till they can handle those type of games.

i have no intention to play iOS games on apple tv, possible tell tale games like walking dead or wolf among us, and couple arcade games but besides that not much. might be good enough for the casual/social gamer.

So you won't touch it. Except for about 4 games. Got it.

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
Then, consider that we just started a new generation of consoles that last what, about 7 years?

Actually, they're forecasting ten+ years for this gen.
Deminishing returns dictates this because
there really isn't that much further to go until the Carmack Singularity is hit.

Nobody will want to by a console that is only better by an even smaller jump than the one from PS 3 to PS 4,
so they're gonna let 'em linger around for a few years longer so buyers will be a little bit hungrier for a change.

Of course, during this decade of consoles standing rock still,
mobile GPUs will eventually catch up to and then surpass this current gen's offerings.

And yes, you're also right about the sheer number (and capability) of AppleTVs attracting console devs.
Except, like you say, "Destiny" & "The Last Of Us".
And "Mario" too, right? Nope. The writing's on the wall for Nintendo.
By the time console/iPad parity is reached, they will already be a major presence in the App Store.
And Android too, right? Nope again. Nintendo will avoid the piracy-saturated Android OS like the plague it is.

Last edited:

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Anyone that has played Infamous Second Sun or seen the new PS4 of Last of Us knows that the Apple TV definitely will not be able to compete with the current generation of consoles this year or even in two to three years. However... in five years... it's entirely possible. The equivalent hardware ($381) may be cheap enough to produce and fit in an Apple TV ($64) by that time. It'll be interesting to see what other big game engine developers sign on to develop for iOS beside Unreal in the next few years. Maybe Crytek, Bitsquid, or Havok?

Given Apple's possible entrance into the console gaming market, I actually think Sony and Xbox might take a more defensive role and release a new gaming system by 2020 as opposed to the console generation cycle of 7-8 years. This would help guard against other market entrants and would speed the adoption of 4K. Also, Sony has figured out how to produce consoles that actually don't generate a loss with the PS4, so they are much more excited to produce a PS5 and have already said that they are thinking about it. This differs from the PS3, where they said that they waited a couple years before even thinking about developing for it.

----------

Actually, they're forecasting ten+ years for this gen.
Deminishing returns dictates this because
there really isn't that much further to go until the Carmack Singularity is hit.

Nobody will want to by a console that is better by an even smaller jump than the one from PS 4 to PS 4,
so they're gonna let 'em linger around for a few years longer so buyers will be a little bit hungrier for a change.

Of course, during this decade of consoles standing rock still,
mobile GPUs will eventually catch up to and then surpass this current gen's offerings.

And yes, you're also right about the sheer number (and capability) of AppleTVs will attract console devs.
Except, like you say, "Destiny" & "The Last Of Us".
And "Mario" too, right? Nope. The writing's on the wall for Nintendo.
By the time console/iPad parity is reached, they will already be a major presence in the App Store.
And Android too, right? Nope again. Nintendo will avoid the piracy-saturated Android OS like the plague it is.

Yeah I wholeheartedly disagree with this, because the cost of developing consoles is cheaper now. They aren't developing chips anymore, they are just slapping together hardware and putting a pretty box around it. The console cycle will shorten in my opinion. The market will always be there like there is for every new iPhone. Those have diminishing returns as well, but you will always notice the new hardware runs better ;)

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Sixty bucks for that MadCatz controller? Huh. I might actually pay that. But first they’d have to give me a controller with the sticks in PlayStation configuration. Maybe the SteelSeries Stratus XL will hit near that price point. That’d be nice.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
As much as Apple loved saying "console level gaming", I highly doubt the ATV will reach that standard running on an ARM chip and using a phone with a 3rd party game controller as a controller.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm somewhat skeptical.

Odds are, the ATV won't be the one running the games, it will just be a display if they can get the lag time for AirPlay down to acceptable levels.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Sixty bucks for that MadCatz controller? Huh. I might actually pay that. But first they’d have to give me a controller with the sticks in PlayStation configuration. Maybe the SteelSeries Stratus XL will hit near that price point. That’d be nice.

I am drawn away from the SteelSeries Stratus XL because it has the playstation configuration vs my preferred xbox stick configuration.

I believe the Signal RP 1 controller has the playstation configuration, while copying the look of the xbox controller, so you have another option once it is finally released.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I am drawn away from the SteelSeries Stratus XL because it has the playstation configuration vs my preferred xbox stick configuration.

I believe the Signal RP 1 controller has the playstation configuration, while copying the look of the xbox controller, so you have another option once it is finally released.

I’m not a huge fan of the chunky feel of xbox controllers. There’s another one previewed at E3 that looked really quite close to a dual shock, though the name escapes me. If the price is reasonable, that’s probably the one I’d go with.

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
The idea of Apple TV becoming a game console is a no brainer. Actually Apple should have already thought about this years ago. But for Apple TV to be a console, shouldn't it have a life span of 10 years or so like the Xbox One and PS4? Apple TV should have its own custom CPU/GPU based on the A series processors with a decent amount of built in storage and RAM (future-proof). Then they can update this thing for years.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I just want an Apple TV that lets me connect a Bluetooth or, even better, USB controller to play games. These weird "made for iOS" controllers are always super expensive.

And a jailbreak so I can play N64 and GameCube emulators on it and (I hope) so someone can make an HDCP removal patch. That would be amazing.

----------

Sadly Nintendo has always portrayed an attitude of they would rather go under than compromise. They refuse to make their games for other formats such as Mario, Smash and Pokemon for iOS when this would make them a massive source of income but they refuse to do it instead losing money with the WiiU.

The Wii U loses because it has no games worth playing. Moving those games to other platforms wouldn't fix it. The 3DS sells very well because it actually has games, and Nintendo sees no reason to kill off 3DS hardware sales.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Needs BT and USB controller support (as in, any generic BT/USB input).

Needs broad scale implementation of Metal.

Most of all, it needs something like Steam, unless everyone is content with playing Angry Birds. iOS gaming is still too underpowered compared to traditional consoles.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
They refuse to make their games for other formats such as Mario, Smash and Pokemon for iOS when this would make them a massive source of income
Its always an interesting claim, since its generally believed that the pre-paid games market on Smartphones is on its way to a crash.

Then you have to consider that Pokemon X/Y alone has significantly higher revenue than all of Rovio. Heck, the top 5 3DS games would place right at the top in sales quantity on the App Store. iOS best sellers don't actually push that big sale quantities, never mind revenue.

Last edited:

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I want this soooo bad.

Apple, freaking go buy Nintendo and do THIS.

THIS is how Smash Bros, Mario, Zelda, DonkeyKong were meant to be!

Apple buying Nintendo??? Haha, dumbest thing I've read all day.

----------

I just want an Apple TV that lets me connect a Bluetooth or, even better, USB controller to play games. These weird "made for iOS" controllers are always super expensive.

And a jailbreak so I can play N64 and GameCube emulators on it and (I hope) so someone can make an HDCP removal patch. That would be amazing.

----------

The Wii U loses because it has no games worth playing. Moving those games to other platforms wouldn't fix it. The 3DS sells very well because it actually has games, and Nintendo sees no reason to kill off 3DS hardware sales.

Mario Kart 8
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D Land
The Wonderful 101
Zombie U
Wii Party U
Nitendo Land
Rayman Legends

Right, no games. And thats not counting the amazing titles they announced at E3. Oh and did i mention how much ass they kicked at E3 this year? Keep on hating.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
All without any hassle. When you go home, you take the game and any earned progress along with you in your pocket.

And, as Sean Heber mentions in his blog, there would be no need for a separate "Apple TV App Store." And I think that's the biggest pain-point-elimination. For consumers and for developers. I can only imagine how awful it would be to have separate "Apple TV apps" and traditional iOS device apps.

As a consumer you'd need to buy the apps on your Apple TV, which would then force you to either 1. play them only on your own Apple TV or 2. get your friends to buy them when you want to play at their homes. As a developer you'd need to publish separate, but just slightly different, version of your apps for the different Apple TV and normal iOS App Stores. Horrible idea for everyone. Not to mention the double workload for the App Store employees who review apps.

Glad to see that there's a coherent way out of that nightmare scenario. And yes, it will take the legacy console gaming industry by surprise. And no, there's little if anything they can do about it. They're so dug in to their legacy technologies that nothing they can do, technologically or marketing-wise, can save them.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
until the get Fully functional PC/Console games on to AppleTV or iOS there isn't going to be much competition
but they aren't touching the console and pc market till they can handle those type of games.

that isnt where the market is. the market is not niche hardcore console gaming, its in the general:

image-12-600x450.jpg

http://stratechery.com/2014/apple-tv-might-disrupt-microsoft-sony/

----------

And what about Swift? Wouldn't it help the development environment too?

no. in fact, ObjC may be better for advanced memory tasks.

----------

Nothing for keyboard and mouse gamers?

no.

----------

I want this soooo bad.

what? the two have nothing to do w/ each other. they are not mutually exclusive...

----------

Most of all, it needs something like Steam, unless everyone is content with playing Angry Birds. iOS gaming is still too underpowered compared to traditional consoles.

huh? the types of gaming apps in the app store is entirely up to developers. there wont be be a Steam store for iOS until McDonald's starts selling The Whopper.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota

sure iOS+Android competes with the nintendos and sonys mobile game industry

i have no intention to play iOS games on apple tv, possible tell tale games like walking dead or wolf among us, and couple arcade games but besides that not much. might be good enough for the casual/social gamer.

I am sure the A8 chip will be at 8th Gen console level, if not greater

Could an AppleTV be on par with a Wii? Nintendo proved you don't always need raw horsepower.

I could imagine an AppleTV being a much better gaming platform than an iPhone (especially with a physical controller)

Of course it wouldn't beat an XBOX/Playstation/PC... but I don't think it has to either.

Just imagine a $99 or $149 AppleTV in every home in America. Games for the kids... Netflix for the adults.

I don't remember for certain but I am pretty sure the iPhone 4, and apple TV 2 had more GPU performance than the nintendo wii.

I am sure the A7 is has more GPU power than the Wii U.
and the new Apple TV will have an A8 or something similar.

I am sure Apple is planning on capturing the Casual Gamer Audience, but they could also go for some of the Hardcore audience... if they do that, they are going to need a traditional controller

So our 2014 Apple TV will have :

redesign
a8 like cpu
software revamp (ios 8 like???)
app store
game support
siri
controller support??
$199 ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.