Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mccjim12

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Stamford, CT
It doesn't have the later trackpad. My 17" 1.0Ghz PowerBook does not have it either.

Install iScroll 2 though and the problem will be solved.

Hey eyoungren-

How does iScroll2 work for you? For me, scrolling with the trackpad is ultra sensitive, to the point where even the slightest two finger gesture makes the scrolling go crazy. Pretty much makes it unusable... Just my $.02.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Power...63947179?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item19edcefaab

A little battered and beat, and obviously that price isn't a certainty by any means; but it looks to be in reasonable working condition with a minor defect or two, and I just couldn't stop the gears in my head from turning when I saw how much the same models seem to go for.

When I bought my MacBook a little over a year ago, I bought it on a line of credit. I'll spare the details, but shortly after making that purchase my life flipped upside down; I lost my job and apartment, and couldn't make any payments on it. I purchased it for $365, but now I owe about $700 on it. It's been a flawless machine, but I just haven't "cared" about it - it's just a machine to me, cold and heartless.(to be fair, a super-smooth looking BLACK colored machine :cool:)

I have this probably really dumb idea about selling it to make up at least some of the cash I am short on what I owe for it, and grabbing a bargain like this PowerBook to replace it.

Besides the obvious jump backwards in technology which I am well-prepared for... I just feel like there's a counterpoint or flaw in my plan that I'm not seeing here which invalidates it. :eek:

I thought the 1.5 GHz model had the two-finger scrolling natively at least under Leopard.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Hey eyoungren-

How does iScroll2 work for you? For me, scrolling with the trackpad is ultra sensitive, to the point where even the slightest two finger gesture makes the scrolling go crazy. Pretty much makes it unusable... Just my $.02.

You can adjust the sensitivity of it in the iScroll2 pref pane.

I thought the 1.5 GHz model had the two-finger scrolling natively at least under Leopard.

All 2005 Powerbooks and iBooks natively support two finger scrolling. If one installs iScroll2, the trackpad stops working until it is removed.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You can adjust the sensitivity of it in the iScroll2 pref pane.

All 2005 Powerbooks and iBooks natively support two finger scrolling. If one installs iScroll2, the trackpad stops working until it is removed.

That is what I thought. I reviewed the listing regarding the PowerBook and it stated it was a 1.5 GHz model.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It does indeed support two-finger scrolling, thank goodness; but it doesn't seem to support two-finger "right clicking", which I seriously miss.

Did you go to System Preferences --> Trackpad and ensure "Clicking" is checked as a gesture? I do not own a 12" but on my 15" that is required for that feature.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It does indeed support two-finger scrolling, thank goodness; but it doesn't seem to support two-finger "right clicking", which I seriously miss.
Oh, ok. Yeah, it won't work with the 1.5Ghz model, or the first model of 12"

What about One Finger Snap? It's not tapping, but it does let you hold down the trackpad button (or a mouse button) for a predetermined time which then gives you the contextual menu, which is of course, a right click.

----------

Hey eyoungren-

It's pretty smooth for me. But as Intell suggests, I have adjusted things, including the scrolling speed in the Keyboard & Mouse settings.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I only wish I possessed the skills! :D
I have tried many times before to attempt to re-solder parts to a motherboard without success. :mad:

Much easier on a desktop board. I rebuild the desktop boards but if it is a laptop I usually don't bother. Though I baked a laptop motherboard in the oven to resolder some joints on the GPU yesterday.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Much easier on a desktop board. I rebuild the desktop boards but if it is a laptop I usually don't bother. Though I baked a laptop motherboard in the oven to resolder some joints on the GPU yesterday.

Do you have any idea how unlikely and risky it is reflowing SMD chips? I've got a SMD reflow oven, but i'd never try reflowing a chip...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Do you have any idea how unlikely and risky it is reflowing SMD chips? I've got a SMD reflow oven, but i'd never try reflowing a chip...

No clue on the risks. To me the risks were a smelly oven because if it didn't work then it was getting a new motherboard. Figured I would try the cheap fix (an hour of labor) compared to a $45.00 motherboard. There was no risk if it didn't work.

The reason I did this is because the replacement boards all will have the same problem a year or two down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.