Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevin100110

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Good Day All,
I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro (Retina) base configuration, and I was wanting to upgrade my router at the same time, I am currently debating between the Air Port Express or the Air Port Extreme, I live in a medium sized apartment with a wall between my pc and my router, I don't edit hq video or pictures or any kind of gaming, I only watch YouTube videos, check email, watch Netflix, Only two devices will be getting Wi-Fi from the Airport (1)MacBook(2)Iphone5s And i don't need any additional features on the back of the Airport USB inputs etc... my question is :
1.Does the Air Port Extreme has way more "Horsepower" then I need?
2. should i upgrade the modem Time Warner sent me? (not that old)9 months old tops?
Thank you all i appreciate everyone's tips/comments/expertise!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You can return / exchange Apple products within certain number of days without restocking charge. Buy one and try it.

arsimoun

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2013
California
One thing I know for sure: the Time Warner modem sucks. Having just been through the wars with them and being told that I shouldn't expect the full download speed advertised because the connection was "wireless" imaging my surprise (not) when a simple change to a decent router add over 40% throughput. Time Warner does not get a lot of good will from me.

One man's opinion.

Adam Rodman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.