Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
I have a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 that just won't work very well with my mac mini. It just isn't fluid in it's motion and doesn't work very well. Is this the mouse or is something going on with my mac mini and the connection. I have 2 of these mice and they both do the same thing.

If its the mouse, what do you guys recommend? Should I get blue tooth or usb wireless? any help would be great

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
If you want to switch to an Apple specific product I use the Apple magic mouse and its very useful to have the swipe gestures, eg 1 finger to move between safari tabs, 2 for desktops plus up/down scrolling. You can look at a trackpad too.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I have a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 that just won't work very well with my mac mini. It just isn't fluid in it's motion and doesn't work very well. Is this the mouse or is something going on with my mac mini and the connection. I have 2 of these mice and they both do the same thing.

If its the mouse, what do you guys recommend? Should I get blue tooth or usb wireless? any help would be great

Are you using it on a dark or reflective surface? How far is the dongle from the mouse?

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
My mouse pad is primarily black. It's about 1-2 feet from the receiver which is connected to the back of the mini

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
My mouse pad is primarily black. It's about 1-2 feet from the receiver which is connected to the back of the mini

Try not using a black mouse pad. Dark colors can absorb the light, and thus the tracking is lost by the mouse. I used to have a very dark brown desk and it caused my mouse to lose tracking due to absorption. Putting a white piece of paper under the mouse always fixed the problem.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Tried a lighter color mouse pad and it still is giving me issues.

When researching usb 3.0 hubs i kept reading that 2.4ghz mice may not work well with 3.0....Maybe thats my issue since i believe the usb ports on my mini are 3.0

Maybe i need to try a 2.0 port

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A few random thoughts...

Does your keyboard have a USB port?
If so, move the mouse "receiver" to the keyboard.

Try switching the USB port (on the back of the Mini) that the mouse recever is plugged into.
Does that make any difference?

Aside:
I recall reading reports about electromagnetic interference between USB3 and some wireless devices. Could this possibly be affecting your mouse's performance?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.