Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lubkens05

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2014
Anyone have instructions for iOS 7.1 MMS & Data for AT&T iPhone 4s on straight talk sim? I tried swapping in the T-Mobile sim to update cellular data settings but all it did was take me to 'invalid SIM' screen and wouldn't let me do anything until I put my ST sim back in.

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
Anyone have instructions for iOS 7.1 MMS & Data for AT&T iPhone 4s on straight talk sim? I tried swapping in the T-Mobile sim to update cellular data settings but all it did was take me to 'invalid SIM' screen and wouldn't let me do anything until I put my ST sim back in.

Go on wifi and use this site

http://m.straighttalkbyop.com/view/page/p/113846/straighttalksim-data-apn-settings

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2006
I have an (AT&T) iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0. I bought the ST sim card in October 2012. Last month I had to do the change to tfdata to get the data working again, but, it was still saying 4G.

Last night it changed from 4G to LTE and I'm getting speeds of 16mbps down and 4mbps up vs 7/1.5 when I last tested in November.

Are those LTE service levels or do I need to swap out the sim card to use the full potential of the service?

I haven't seen the 'LTE' service indicator since this. Speeds are decent, but, nothing great. Would it be beneficial to purchase a new nano sim card from Straight Talk?

jondoe44

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
So I Was Wondering Could Anybody Give Me Instructions on How To Activate My Verizon IPhone 5s To Straight Talk??

imeth

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Tired of att's $95+ bill for myself, went and bought $65 straight talk activation kit. Comes with $45 unlimited plan and all the micro sim/nano for CDMA phones and tmo/att. Bought the att nano in, didn't have to sim swap, update anything.. Automatically work now TFW!!! Only thing I'm not getting 4G like I would on att just LTE and 3G...

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Tired of att's $95+ bill for myself, went and bought $65 straight talk activation kit. Comes with $45 unlimited plan and all the micro sim/nano for CDMA phones and tmo/att. Bought the att nano in, didn't have to sim swap, update anything.. Automatically work now TFW!!! Only thing I'm not getting 4G like I would on att just LTE and 3G...

Someone posted on here that the 3G is actually '4G' it just isn't displayed as 4G. You'll still get 4G speeds too.

auchindoun

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Still Confused.... Iphone 5s (verizon) with Straight Talk

HELP PLEASE!

I have an iphone 5 I bought unlocked.
After giving up my phone number I've had for years, I figured it's worth it.
I was wrong! Service with Straight Talk SUCKS. They are on AT&T towers out here for the iphone 5.

So here's the question... If I buy a Verizon (no contract) phone, it will be unlocked, yes? So, could I put my straight talk sim into it and it will work of Verizon towers because it's a Verizon phone?? That is where I'm confused the most.

Basically, my service sucks. Everyone has Verizon around here and they get full 3G and I'm on Edge!!

I want to use Straight Talk.
I want to use Verizon Towers.
I want an iPhone 5 or 5s.

How can I make this happen?
I was hoping I could buy a Verizon Iphone 5s and stick a straight talk sim in it and it would work off Verizon towers.... but I think that is not how it works... right???

Thanks in advance.

ktjensen

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
How to get Straight Talk LTE working on iPhone 5

Have: Verizon iPhone 5 4g jailbroken on contract still.

Want: byop tmobile 3G speed is okay.

Can I just get a GSM sim for ST, put it in, port my number. Pay contract cancelation ETF on Verizon, and bang I am on ST at 3G speed?

----------

For the people that ask other questions:

NO - you can not use a plain verizon iPhone 5 at 4g speeds on ST. The Verizon iPhone 5 is missing the cellphone radio bands to do 4g speeds on ST. Unlocked - clear ESN makes no difference.

I think I am wrong though. Went into Walmart and saw a iPhone 5 on the wall for sale for ST. So there must be a way to port verizon iphone5 to st iphone5.

Last edited:

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
HELP PLEASE!

I have an iphone 5 I bought unlocked.
After giving up my phone number I've had for years, I figured it's worth it.
I was wrong! Service with Straight Talk SUCKS. They are on AT&T towers out here for the iphone 5.

So here's the question... If I buy a Verizon (no contract) phone, it will be unlocked, yes? So, could I put my straight talk sim into it and it will work of Verizon towers because it's a Verizon phone?? That is where I'm confused the most.

Basically, my service sucks. Everyone has Verizon around here and they get full 3G and I'm on Edge!!

I want to use Straight Talk.
I want to use Verizon Towers.
I want an iPhone 5 or 5s.

How can I make this happen?
I was hoping I could buy a Verizon Iphone 5s and stick a straight talk sim in it and it would work off Verizon towers.... but I think that is not how it works... right???

Thanks in advance.

In order to use Verizon ST service, you need a CLEAN ESN/MEID iPhone 5/5C/5S or even a 4S FROM VERIZON WIRELESS because Verizon ST agreement does not allow LTE access, only CDMA 3G access.

IF you have the phone already, then you will not be activating it via a SIM CARD -- SIM CARDS ARE FOR GSM AND LTE NETWORK ACCESS ONLY -- NOT FOR CDMA

IN ORDER TO ACTIVATE ON Verizon Straight Talk Service -- You need to purchase the "Activation Code" here: http://www.straighttalkbyop.com/shop.php

CDMA is not as simple as just popping in a SIM card or having your phone unlocked.

ktjensen

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
How to get Straight Talk LTE working on iPhone 5

And you can use any iphone5 on gsm with a SIM card. Correct ?

Looks like this is true. But of course the ESN needs to be clear too. Unknown how long that takes to clear after ETF is paid. Verizon or ATT is under no obligation to make a speedy unlock or a speedy ESN clearing.

Last edited:

Codyrlewis

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
I currently have a Verizon iPhone 5. Can I switch to straight talk with it? I've been told no and yes. I know I need to change the SIM card but witch one do I buy? AT&T or t mobile regular sim or nano? Verizon has great service where I live and it's lte. AT&T and t mobile don't really have the best of service at my house. But I was told it would still go off of Verizon towers? If this is true what do I need to do in order to switch? Thanks for any help

newb811

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
A lot of posts have stated the ST iPhone 5 available at WalMart won't get LTE speeds. This site, http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE, shows the Verizon/CDMA iPhone 5 (A1429) has LTE bands 1/3/5/13/25 while the AT&T/T-Mobile GSM model (A1428) has bands 2/4/5/17. Since both models have LTE band 5 (850MHz), which supposedly AT&T has (?) according to this site, shouldn't the iPhone 5 from Walmart get LTE once a GSM SIM is used?

Ultimately, I'm looking for the cheapest way to get an iPhone 5 (or higher) with LTE speeds on Straight Talk - any suggestions?

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
A lot of posts have stated the ST iPhone 5 available at WalMart won't get LTE speeds. This site, http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE, shows the Verizon/CDMA iPhone 5 (A1429) has LTE bands 1/3/5/13/25 while the AT&T/T-Mobile GSM model (A1428) has bands 2/4/5/17. Since both models have LTE band 5 (850MHz), which supposedly AT&T has (?) according to this site, shouldn't the iPhone 5 from Walmart get LTE once a GSM SIM is used?

Ultimately, I'm looking for the cheapest way to get an iPhone 5 (or higher) with LTE speeds on Straight Talk - any suggestions?

Incorrect!

AT&T uses 850/1900 for HSPA/HSPA+ AKA 3G/4G ONLY
AT&T/T-Mobile use Band 4/17 for LTE
T-Mobile will soon launch LTE on band 12 (currently not available on any iPhone)
T-Mobile uses 1900 and 1700AWS for HSPA/DC-HSPA+ AKA 3G/4G ONLY

Last edited:

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
which SIM card did you use? is you 5s w. Verizon

No, I bought it from walmart.com and used the Site to Store feature so I could have it early. When I got it, I made sure it came with a SIM and looked at the back of the box and made sure it was the right model. I just used the SIM that came with it, and it was basically an AT&T sim.

Bahik595

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2015
No service tmobile straight

I have an iPhone 5s and was with T-Mobile. I switched over to straight talk about a week ago and suddenly outta nowhere it said I had no service. I called straight talk for assistance & I was provided no real help except that the problem may have been that my phone was still connected to T-Mobile when I switched over. So I called T-Mobile customer service and asked if my phone was still connected and they told me it was disconnected once I went to straight talk. I been trying to play with the apn settings thinking that was the problem but no luck. Please help somebody.

Pebbles1402

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2015
I have an iPhone 5s and was with T-Mobile. I switched over to straight talk about a week ago and suddenly outta nowhere it said I had no service. I called straight talk for assistance & I was provided no real help except that the problem may have been that my phone was still connected to T-Mobile when I switched over. So I called T-Mobile customer service and asked if my phone was still connected and they told me it was disconnected once I went to straight talk. I been trying to play with the apn settings thinking that was the problem but no luck. Please help somebody.

Did you double-check your settings to make sure your mobile data wasn't accidentally disabled on your phone?

gscottposs3

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2015
Lte service for straighttalk iphone 5

So do I have to get a new LTE sim card for LTE to work? I am in LTE service but my phone says TFW 3G please help

macymm

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
still no LTE/4G with iPhone 5s w/ Straight Talk

I have an iPhone 5s, I believe the previous carrier was T-Mobile. I previously had a Galaxy S5 and LTE/4G worked and I had good signal. Well I couldn't get used to an Android so I swapped back to an iPhone. I swapped with a girl who was currently using the iPhone with Straight Talk. When we were in the process of swapping, I noticed she was getting "LTE", or so it said in the upper left corner. I purchased a new sim from Straight Talk (AT&T nano bc the micro in the Galaxy wouldn't fit) It was the "BYOP 4G LTE" sim, so I should be getting LTE or whatever, but it is still only displaying TFW 3G... which doesn't make sense to me bc she was getting the LTE on the iphone before she swapped with me, while using an AT&T sim. I will attach some pictures to give you guys a better idea of what I'm working with. Also, I cannot access my APN settings on this phone, I guess bc it's carrier locked? When I was using the Galaxy, I could go in and change all the settings, so that's how I got everything to work with it.

Also, I have tried multiple things:
Resetting Network Settings
Installing Straight Talk's sister Network, Net 10, APN settings. (Has worked for some people)
Deleting APN profile, reinstalling from Straight Talk website
Turning phone off, and back on.
Spoke with at least 10 different ST reps, NONE of them knew what in the world they were talking about.

Might I add, in January I had an iPhone 5 with Verizon and bought the BYOP CDMA kit. I spent days trying to activate the phone with CDMA, turns out the phone never activated and ST just up and "lost" my account... my number and all. The number I have had for as long as I can remember. At the time, I did not know that Verizon iPhone 5's were unlocked and could use the ST AT&T sim, or I would have saved myself a lot of headache. I have never been so frustrated with a phone. I just want to receive the service I am paying for and the service that Straight Talk advertises. ("4G LTE")

ANY help would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6054.PNG
    IMG_6054.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_6055.PNG
    IMG_6055.PNG
    90.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_6056.PNG
    IMG_6056.PNG
    40.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6057.PNG
    IMG_6057.PNG
    68.3 KB · Views: 154

radmatty

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Wisconsin, USA
I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 and I'm struggling a little bit with Cellular issues.

I took the Straighttalk sim card out of my iPhone 4 and cut it down to a nano size. It was instantly recognized when I put it in the iPhone 5. I activated the phone with a new $45 unlimited straight talk card. Right away the phone indicated that it was receiving a 3G Data connection. According to AT&T's map I am in an area that is fully covered for 4G LTE.

I ran some speed tests with the FCC speed test app and found that I was getting the download speed of around 4 Mbps on a HSDPA network near my house. When I move a couple of blocks to where the signal is stronger I was able to get a download speed of 11 Mbps, also on HSDPA.

I've talked to straight talk four times and found that their representatives really don't know much about their network or about iPhones. I was told that the iPhone 5 can't get LTE on their network and I was told that there's no LTE tower nearby. They said they tried to upgrade some of my account features and they updated my APN settings but it didn't make any difference.

Is this a problem with my Sim card? The one I modified to reduce it to nano size.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.