Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have a dedicated external drive (WDmyBookStudio) for my TMachine backups. In a few days i will get a new drive bay which will take myBookStudios place in the backing up.
What is the procedure so i can transfer the TMbackup i have on the myBookStudio to the new drive bay?

natd1993

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Great Britain
I have a dedicated external drive (WDmyBookStudio) for my TMachine backups. In a few days i will get a new drive bay which will take myBookStudios place in the backing up.
What is the procedure so i can transfer the TMbackup i have on the myBookStudio to the new drive bay?

I wouldn't follow Apple's guide if I were you, I transferred my TM backup to a new drive a while back and ran in to all sorts of permissions problems using it. The best way is just to clone the contents from the old drive, to the new drive, using 'SuperDuper' (which is free), and once that's completed, just change the drive TM backs up to in system prefs.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
If its a persmissions issue, then maybe a "permissions repair" would of been needed before doing Apples solution, before or after! What do you think?

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
In Apples suggestion, can i transfer manually, each folder, or should i just get the whole backup and drag it? I was thinking of making a new folder (copy paste the name etc.) and transfer the files manually or might i miss out any hidden files?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
when trying manually to transfer a TM folder i get the error attached! Whats going on? natd1993 im afraid you could be right! :confused:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-07-27 at 1.21.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-07-27 at 1.21.35 PM.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 65

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I wouldn't follow Apple's guide if I were you, I transferred my TM backup to a new drive a while back and ran in to all sorts of permissions problems using it. The best way is just to clone the contents from the old drive, to the new drive, using 'SuperDuper' (which is free), and once that's completed, just change the drive TM backs up to in system prefs.
Ok ill go with your solution, but let me ask... i have drives A, B and C. A is my old TMbackup that i want to transfer to my new drive B (this will be used for my new TMdrive). Can i do it directly from A to B, or do i have to transfer the clone image to C and then from C to install it to B?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok ill go with your solution, but let me ask... i have drives A, B and C. A is my old TMbackup that i want to transfer to my new drive B (this will be used for my new TMdrive). Can i do it directly from A to B, or do i have to transfer the clone image to C and then from C to install it to B?

You can go straight from A to B.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thanx Weaselboy ;)
Any idea of a good reliable tool i can use to measure disk speed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.