Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld's Jason Snell provides a nice hands-on writeup about Apple's new OS X Yosemite. Snell focuses on the user-experience from a long term Mac user, focusing on the visual and usability changes of Mac windows. He notes the increased use of transparency and the varying implementation of title bars in many applications:

Overall, Snell feels that many of the design changes were done with Retina displays in mind:
For a while now, I've thought that 2014 would be the year that Retina spreads across the Mac product line. After spending time with Yosemite on both Retina and non-Retina systems, I'm more confident than ever in that guess. Yosemite's new design feels like it was built for Retina displays: Thin Helvetica Neue replaces the long-serving but chunky Lucida Grande as the system typeface.
Apple first introduced Retina displays into the Mac line in with the Retina MacBook Pro in June, 2012. Since that time, Apple has been slow to extend Retina screens to the rest of their lineup.

The MacBook Air seems likely to be the next Mac to deliver a Retina Display. Signs point to a 12" Retina model later this year, and there has already been early evidence in Yosemite of Retina iMacs in testing.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite Designed for Retina Screens?

Last edited:

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
I feel like true resolution independence — vector-based graphics, resizeable UI — has been just around the corner for so long. Can we hurry that up, please?

Last edited:

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
iOS 7 runs on only mostly retina too. Macs have not come far with retina just yet.

Last edited:

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
and am I ever glad I got one...? It was between a MBA or a rMBP and I went with Retina because I fell in love with the screen. :D Yosemite will look marvelous!

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Will only run on macs with a retina screen.
Not sure if "joking" / trolling but OS X Yosemite has the same system requirements as OS X Mavericks, so for example late 2008 MacBook Pro will be able to run it.

Carlosgomes

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
The change from Lucida Grande to Helvetica Neue makes a huge impact, specially when surrounded <strike>with</strike> by a much more simplified interface.

Just take a look at Safari 8 and compare it to the previous iteration. It's just gorgeous and so, so simple, that it makes you wonder why wasn't this done before.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
If Yosemite is designed for Retina screens, then why are all the icons so plain looking? Why are all the menu screens, Finder, etc so blah??

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
I've never seen the attraction of transparency in the GUI. Just makes things harder to read. I think it's mostly a marketing gimmick.

Renzatic

Suspended
I've never seen the attraction of transparency in the GUI. Just makes things harder to read. I think it's mostly a marketing gimmick.

Yeah, it's nothing more than UI bling, and doesn't do anything beyond tossing a little style into the mix.

But I wouldn't say it makes everything unreadable. Overall, the effect is pretty subtle. While it doesn't add any functionality, it doesn't take anything away, either. It's just...UI bling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.